Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 02:47 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,978,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Well it looks like he is a bit wishy-washy with some of the values here.

But crazy people are still voters, and we must attack their every point and drill the logic through them, hoping one day they will "wake up" and use their head.
There's actually studies that say that's a losing strategy.

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/id...acts_backfire/

These GOP base voters are not making voting decisions based on reason and facts.

They vote based on fear combined with an intellect unable to cope with mildly complex matters.

Being nice is a sign of weakness to them.

If you can make any progress at all with them it's through rightly mocking and ridiculing their absurd beliefs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 02:49 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Sure I wonder about that. I could easily be considered a terrorist by the entire Executive Branch since I was declared a terrorist along with many other vets by the head woman at DHS. I wonder if my wife will be in the house when they blow it4 up. Naw, none of this is true other than what the reporter says about who "leaked" the news about the list. Yep, they did say just that about the list.

1 on 1 With President Obama, How Does He Justify A Kill List? : Freedom Outpost

No. Jason Borune is not going to come after you and the powers that be have other real bad guys to focus on. Take off the tin foil hat.

Old 09-10-2012, 02:56 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,227,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebrehm View Post
A noble aspiration, but incredibly difficult. As my parents said, once someone has wrapped themselves inside a strong political belief, they often refuse to listen to alternative sources.
I disagree.

What a person might have are deep set values of morality. For example, I don't think you can easily convert a pacifist to a war lord or the other way around.

Politics are a bit more muddy than that and it is clear that a given situations' solution could have different politics than what the person believes or what a party represent. For instance, I'd assume conservatives aren't happy with paying for the domestic espionage and invasion of privacy. Yet, you might have a person who labels himself a conservative supporting that because that's what they think is the best solution to some of the national security problems we might have. The reality that might be is that isn't a working solution and someone who supports such a solution might not be a conservative.

Old 09-10-2012, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
There's actually studies that say that's a losing strategy.

How facts backfire - The Boston Globe

These GOP base voters are not making voting decisions based on reason and facts.

They vote based on fear combined with an intellect unable to cope with mildly complex matters.

Being nice is a sign of weakness to them.

If you can make any progress at all with them it's through rightly mocking and ridiculing their absurd beliefs.
Except there are many people who have been brainwashed to have their political beliefs. That brainwashing doesn't make them any less of a person, I don't wish to make someone feel bad through mocking them.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
No. Jason Borune is not going to come after you and the powers that be have other real bad guys to focus on. Take off the tin foil hat.
Maybe. But, bringing up a point I brought up earlier in the thread, there is a no-fly list (which sounds much less dramatic than a kill-list) and real people have been affected by it, even though all they carry is a name by which themselves and other people call them.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:04 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
It probably is Roy, I did phone your name in to them through my Obama hotline.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:16 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,511,513 times
To avoid constitutional issues, persons on the "kill list" can not be neutralized on U.S. territory. Don't travel overseas and you're immune.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:21 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,978,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
To avoid constitutional issues, persons on the "kill list" can not be neutralized on U.S. territory. Don't travel overseas and you're immune.
100% false. The Constitution does not care one iota where a US citizen is located

They have full 100% Constitutional rights wherever they are as far as their interaction with the US government.

Nice try.

Go think of some other far fetched myth to protect government tyranny.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:26 PM

221 posts, read 282,929 times
You better start digging a pit to hide in, then. Keep in mind you won't have access to see Perry Mason in the pit, though...

Old 09-10-2012, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
100% false. The Constitution does not care one iota where a US citizen is located

They have full 100% Constitutional rights wherever they are as far as their interaction with the US government.

Nice try.

Go think of some other far fetched myth to protect government tyranny.
If a government is being a tyrannical government, even if your rights are protected by the constitution, it may have to be up to yourself to defend against the government.

The founding fathers talked about this, I believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies