Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 10:27 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,113,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
No, they're editorially independent and 3% of funding simply does not let anyone dictate editorial policy.
It's much more than 3% because a substantial portion of their revenue to support their operations comes from the stations which are also supported by taxpayer dollars and other things like money from Universities that are supported by tax payer dollars. I don't know what the number is but taxpayer funding makes up substantial portion of their revenue. If it were to be cut off at all levels NPR goes bye bye...

Let me ask you this, if it's just 3% what is the concern with just cutting all taxpayer funding in the first place?

------edit------

Why is it you think coporations fund these programs, do you think it's becsue they are being generaous for that 10 second commercial? No, it's because they get big fat tax credit for it. That's a subsidiy....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 10:43 AM

1,356 posts, read 1,945,813 times
I love NPR. They don't have to worry about ratings like other stations so they can focus on political, economic, and cultural topics that I find interesting.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:48 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,852,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
Is NPR considered "liberal mainstream media"?

I believe it is in the portions I listen to weekly in the a.m.

Well presented though and with less lunacy than the typical right/left television medias.

I notice they do take umbrage when folks who telephone in accuse them of being liberal mainstream media.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:50 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,096,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
There is simply not a better domestic news source than NPR.
This ^^^

Old 08-16-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octa View Post
I love NPR. They don't have to worry about ratings like other stations so they can focus on political, economic, and cultural topics that I find interesting.
That's great for you but why am I supporting what you want listen too?

Old 08-16-2012, 10:56 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,252,751 times
I'm a moderate who leans conservative, and I listen to NPR all the time. I echo the other statements that NPR news is the best and least biased available in the USA.

The problem is that many of the independently-produced shows which are picked up and aired on some local NPR stations are decidedly left-leaning. In liberal areas these shows are on 7 days a week. In conservative areas they aren't aired, or else only air on certain days. In Mississippi, for example, during the week you have Morning Edition (news show, played twice to cover 4 hours) followed by local call-in shows (things like gardening, sports, etc.). At some point in the morning they switch over to locally produced airing of classical music until 4pm when it's back to news with All Things Considered. Late at night they used to just re-broadcast BBC news. This is in contrast to California where that period between Morning Edition and All Things Considered is often filled with either National or Local liberal-leaning shows.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:58 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,091,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The media themsleves overwhelmingly identify themselves as liberal, are you going to dispute them too?
Reporters yes, publishers I don't think so.

In 2008 Obama received the endorsement of 296 daily newspapers to 180 for McCain. Not exactly outside of the popular vote total.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:03 AM

1,356 posts, read 1,945,813 times
Quote:
The media themsleves overwhelmingly identify themselves as liberal, are you going to dispute them too?
And? The media has a fairness bias meaning they have to pretend like the opinions from both sides are equally valid to avoid being accused of having a bias even if one side(or side) is off with their information.

Quote:
That's great for you but why am I supporting what you want listen too?
Let me turn this back around at you: how many programs exist that you "pay"(I assume you aren't rich) for that you don't use? Why is NPR the one that gets singled out by you?

Old 08-16-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octa View Post
And? The media has a fairness bias meaning they have to pretend like the opinions from both sides are equally valid to avoid being accused of having a bias even if one side(or side) is off with their information.
In theory that is the way it's supposed to work but that is not the way it works in practice. Are going to suggest CNN's or Fox's news coverage is not bias? I can see it from both sides, can you? The problem is Fox is the exception and the one major outlet with a conservative slant, the overwhelming majority of media outlets are liberally biased and when you start mixing taxpayer dollars..........

Quote:
Let me turn this back around at you: how many programs exist that you "pay"(I assume you aren't rich) for that you don't use? Why is NPR the one that gets singled out by you?
If we're talking about cable quite a bit but I've made the choice to purchase that programming. I really don't think that's point though because it's inevitable that NPR is going to slant their reporting in the direction of whoever is supporting their cause, it's just human nature. If you had a politician that was very vocal in eliminating their funding do you really think they are going to get a fair shake in the reporting?

Old 08-16-2012, 11:35 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,504,278 times
Quote:
Sorry to have to say this, but I don't think you know what you're talking about when you offer assertions as you have above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies