Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 10:24 AM

13,186 posts, read 15,012,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
How about the congress, senate, president and staff take a 20% cut? How about all of the pensions going out to former politicians get cut?

Why is the threat always on the elderly?

He makes me physically sick.
Nobody needs to take a pay cut. Just moderately cut defense, and moderately raise taxes on the wealthy and you've solved 90% of the problem.

Budget Puzzle: You Fix the Budget - Interactive Feature - NYTimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 10:26 AM

79,908 posts, read 44,376,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Untrue, SS is a manageable long term deficit that could be eliminated by lifting the tax cap on high incomes.
Indeed that would help but NOBODY wants to take the lead and do it.

Quote:
Nobody, needs to endure cuts to their SS. Only people ignorant of SS finances lazily assume this right wing rhetoric is true.

Here is the link to the NYT's quote of Obama

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/08/us...pagewanted=all
You let me know when the Dems get behind this and pass raising the cap. Nobody believes a politician when they simply claim they are for something.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
If Republicans had agreed to cutting the bloated defense budget without also making cuts to SS & MC, the WH wouldn't have had to compromise. It's probably right there in the link you refuse to post.
The link is posted in my last post.

What? Are you surprised Obama is this much of a back stabber?

John Conyers said a year go Obama was going to agree to cuts in SS.

I posted that and of course Obama just reenforced his position last week.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Indeed that would help but NOBODY wants to take the lead and do it.

You let me know when the Dems get behind this and pass raising the cap. Nobody believes a politician when they simply claim they are for something.
I'm not predicting or hopeful Dems will get behind anything. Voters in this country are the most ignorant, lazy, apathetic, lemmings in the entire World.

They are about to get what they deserve. Cuts in SS, so the rich can horde more Billions.

Rich elites bought the politicians, bought access to mass media, and have 70% of voters completely fooled.

If poor and middle class Americans had an ounce of sense, the GOP and backstabbers like Obama would not exist in politics.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Nobody needs to take a pay cut. Just moderately cut defense, and moderately raise taxes on the wealthy and you've solved 90% of the problem.

We are 16 trillion in debt. The "wealthy" paid 318 billion in taxes in 2009. Moderately raising their taxes is what exactly? 10% more? That brings in $32 billion more.

The deficit is appx 1.4 trillion or so. The current argument, even taking into consideration questionable accounting practices, is a $1 trillion cut over a decade. Not a year, but decade.

That still leaves a massive yearly deficit and continues to grow the $16 trillion every year. No, that will not address the issue.

But hasn't this all been covered already?

Old 08-09-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
I'm not predicting or hopeful Dems will get behind anything. Voters in this country are the most ignorant, lazy, apathetic, lemmings in the entire World.

They are about to get what they deserve. Cuts in SS, so the rich can horde more Billions.

Rich elites bought the politicians, bought access to mass media and have 70% of them completely fooled.
Politicians themselves haven't bought off many of these votes?

Old 08-09-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
We are 16 trillion in debt. The "wealthy" paid 318 billion in taxes in 2009. Moderately raising their taxes is what exactly? 10% more? That brings in $32 billion more.

The deficit is appx 1.4 trillion or so. The current argument, even taking into consideration questionable accounting practices, is a $1 trillion cut over a decade. Not a year, but decade.

That still leaves a massive yearly deficit and continues to grow the $16 trillion every year. No, that will not address the issue.

But hasn't this all been covered already?

You're just talking nonsense.

I posted the NYT budget calculator. It's drawn up by objective experts on the budget, using in part, numbers from the CATO institute, a right wing think tank.

It's so common of right wingers to give us these talking points as you do, (scary one liners, out of context, not giving the entire picture) to paint a dire picture, and make people think it's hopeless.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
You're just talking nonsense.
Most people can add. A few billion in a couple areas come nowhere close to covering trillion dollar deficits and 16 trillion and growing debts.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Most people can add. A few billion in a couple areas come nowhere close to covering trillion dollar deficits and 16 trillion and growing debts.
More gibberish.

If you have a problem with NYT's budget experts then post your credentials and start a point by point rebuttal using objective sources.

I'll hold my breadth.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:53 AM

78,827 posts, read 61,038,645 times
Quote:

Rich elites bought the politicians, bought access to mass media, and have 70% of voters completely fooled.

If poor and middle class Americans had an ounce of sense, the GOP and backstabbers like Obama would not exist in politics.
So, whom are you going to vote for in the 2012 presidential election?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies