Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 04:07 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,010,919 times

Advertisements

So, I have a rather large swimming pool in my backyard. By law, I am required to have a fence around the pool and to have gates that close automatically and that can be locked.

If a teenager decides to jump the fence and go for a swim in the middle of the night, I am the one in legal trouble if the teenager gets hurt or killed after illegally trespassing. I get into even more trouble if it can be shown that the gates don't operate properly or if I am found to have been negligent by not having the gates locked.

However, if I happen to catch the teenager in the act of jumping the fence, identify him as a trespasser, and feel threatened that he might be a burglar (it's the middle of the night, after all), then I have the right to shoot him - without legal repercussions.

How does this make any sense?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 04:26 AM

13,721 posts, read 9,055,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
So, I have a rather large swimming pool in my backyard. By law, I am required to have a fence around the pool and to have gates that close automatically and that can be locked.

If a teenager decides to jump the fence and go for a swim in the middle of the night, I am the one in legal trouble if the teenager gets hurt or killed after illegally trespassing. I get into even more trouble if it can be shown that the gates don't operate properly or if I am found to have been negligent by not having the gates locked.

However, if I happen to catch the teenager in the act of jumping the fence, identify him as a trespasser, and feel threatened that he might be a burglar (it's the middle of the night, after all), then I have the right to shoot him - without legal repercussions.

Well, laws concerning 'attractive nuisance' vary from place to place. However, generally, if you have complied with the law concerning securing your swimming pool from children (the legal theory is that toddlers and children are attracted to pools of water and do not have the mental capacity to recognize the hazard) then you would be safe from any legal liability. The parents of your hypothetical teenager would not have a very good chance of prevailing in court.

Old 07-27-2012, 04:29 AM

45,579 posts, read 60,945,454 times
And your burglary defense, in many jurisdictions, would be shaky as the intruder is outside your dwelling and not directly threatening those inside.

Old 07-27-2012, 04:40 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,274,180 times
Quote:
If a teenager decides to jump the fence and go for a swim in the middle of the night, I am the one in legal trouble if the teenager gets hurt or killed after illegally trespassing. I get into even more trouble if it can be shown that the gates don't operate properly or if I am found to have been negligent by not having the gates locked.However, if I happen to catch the teenager in the act of jumping the fence, identify him as a trespasser, and feel threatened that he might be a burglar (it's the middle of the night, after all), then I have the right to shoot him - without legal repercussions.
We have a rather large pool too. Ours is 20X40'. We have a 6 ft privacy fence with two locked gates around the pool, one going down to the pool (its in the lower part of our yard) and two locked gates on our side yard where our dog goes..she is a Pit Bull. If you are concerned about someone perhaps taking a midnight swim, alarm your pool. You can buy an alarm that will go off should anyone decide to take that swim. Keep in mind...should a small animal fall in, the alarm will also go off. I don't believe that you would have the right to shoot a "swimmer". Taking a swim in someone's pool is a kind of "Tom Sawyer" moment and not really something you would feel totally threatened by..at least I wouldn't. I would call the Police or perhaps turn the Pit Bull loose..not shoot someone. After all, exactly what could they steal down by your pool? A kickboard? A noodle? or perhaps a floating tube of some sort? I would definitely call the Police. As long as you have gates that are locked you have done your part. We have been here with our pool for over 12 years and so far so good..no intruders except a Mama duck with her babies one time..We shut the pool down for about a week and let her be with her babies until they were strong enough to leave.
Good Grief...I just realized we have 5 dang gates around or near our pool and in our yard...talk about safety first..LOL

Old 07-27-2012, 04:56 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,238,604 times
Electrify the fence.

Old 07-27-2012, 05:05 AM

4,138 posts, read 4,544,896 times
I have a large 20 x 40 pool and after ten years am surprised no kids ever did sneak in in the middle of the night. When I was a kid we always hopped fences to get into private and public pools at 1am. If a kid snuck into my pool I'd just let the dogs out. They wouldn't bite but when they jumped into the water barking their heads off in excitement I'm pretty sure the kids would think they were in over their heads.

Old 07-27-2012, 05:12 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,940,815 times
Quote:

If you find someone drowned in your pool shoot them before calling 911. Simple solution.

Old 07-27-2012, 05:16 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,274,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
If you find someone drowned in your pool shoot them before calling 911. Simple solution.
Its a DANG swimming pool!! If a person jumps the fence and is unfortunate enough to NOT know how to swim and drowns..why shoot them?? A little gun happy, no? Why would you shoot a CORPSE?? YUK.come on!!

Old 07-27-2012, 05:20 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,940,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammyd View Post
Its a DANG swimming pool!! If a person jumps the fence and is unfortunate enough to NOT know how to swim and drowns..why shoot them?? A little gun happy, no? Why would you shoot a CORPSE?? YUK.come on!!
A bit excitable this morning, ain't ya?

Old 07-27-2012, 08:20 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,956,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammyd View Post
Could someone get Pammyd a sarcasm translator?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies