Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 08:49 PM

41,011 posts, read 49,599,877 times

Advertisements

Next time you need Heart Surgery be sure to shop around for the lowest bid who's been trained by the Government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 08:49 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,787,582 times
I don't know if they're overpaid, but they're certainly not starving. Doctors and surgeons as a group make more than anyone else.

The highest paid careers in America today - Bottom Line

Old 07-21-2012, 08:52 PM

18,665 posts, read 20,068,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I don't know if they're overpaid, but they're certainly not starving. Doctors and surgeons as a group make more than anyone else.

The highest paid careers in America today - Bottom Line

Unlike lawyers, they add value to society.

Old 07-21-2012, 08:54 PM

41,011 posts, read 49,599,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
I would suspect they are part of the evil top 10% taxpayers who support the bottom 50% who pay no taxes. They should be ashamed.

Old 07-21-2012, 08:54 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,787,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Not sure why you brought up lawyers, but let me tell you, if you ever need a lawyer, you'll be glad they exist.

Old 07-21-2012, 08:57 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,245,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
lets assume that all doctors start at $400,000, out of that they have to pay off student loans totaling in excess of $200,000, pay a malpractice insurance premium yearly of at least $120,000, add to that the office and office staff they have to maintain, and you start to see that $400,000 doesnt go very far. and dont forget the taxes they are paying at all levels. no doctors are not overpaid, if anything they are underpaid.
I think they're talking about the Doc paying himself $400K in salary from his practice after all of those overhead items are already paid...

Old 07-21-2012, 09:03 PM

18,665 posts, read 20,068,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Not sure why you brought up lawyers, but let me tell you, if you ever need a lawyer, you'll be glad they exist.
I'd have less issue with the concept of lawyers being overpaid, since they are responsible for the outragous liability insurance of doctors, while facing almost absolute immunity for themselves.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:04 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,447,241 times
Most docs don't make 400k. That's totally unrealistic.

Surgeons can make a lot of money, and specialties that do procedures/read x-rays/do biopsies etc... can make good money. But your average "doctor"... like internal medicine, primary care etc... makes much less then 400k. The starting salary for several of my classmates who stayed at the hospital where we trained was in the low $100s. They were mostly in their early to later 30's, and now were paying back student loans (and some had additional loans FROM COLLEGE).

Docs in private practice make more then those at the large community hospitals, medical schools, or any of the major teaching hospitals that often offer the best care. Because insurance has become so complicated and the profits so meager, many private practices have closed because docs can't manage all the paperwork/support staff.

Most docs have to pay $200k to go to med school for 4 years, and pay back those loans over the next decade, then train as a low paid intern/resident for 3-7 years working very long hours before they start making better money. It is pretty rigorous work, stressful, and the stakes are high.

But yes, doctors salaries will have to come down. It will definitely discourage smart people from going into medicine, as the job can be very demanding and the training and sacrifices are significant.... why not be an investment banker, right? Unfortunately, we need smarter people in medicine, as it has become very complicated...

What will happen to medicine will be similar to what is happening in other countries. Salaries will come down as will the "prestige" of the job, it will become female dominated, and more docs trained overseas will fill the gaps of those who leave medicine for other more lucrative fields. We will still attract some people who want to go into medicine "for the right" reasons, but we will also wear down a lot of good folks who decide the stress is not worth it.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:08 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,302,622 times
Yes, when a doctor has to spend 6 hours in surgery, to try and rescue you from your heart attack and something went wrong during the surgery, but he was able to bring you back from the brink of death, I'm sure the last thing you care about is how much that doctor is earning.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:11 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,321,667 times
One thing is obvious to me. Given the level of education and training they have, they sure as hell better be making more than me. Given that, is $400k too high? Maybe by a little... but it's not outrageous. $350k seems more reasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies