Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2012, 11:35 AM

25 posts, read 13,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Because;

- Rich people work harder

- Rich people reply to phone calls faster

- Rich people answer/reply emails faster

- Rich people tend to excercise more to stay healthier and spend less money on health care since they know that if they don't live healthy it will cost them more money.

- Rich people eat healthier to stay healthier to save cost.

- Rich people waste less money on late fees, and other fees that cost them money. Pay bills on time.

- Rich people tend to compare prices before buying items to save money.

Poor people overall don't do what is written above.

If poor people would try to do the same than they will end up with more money!
Well I don't do any of these things and I do pretty well. My grandparents probably did, of course they did not have email back then. The liberals are trying to take away the money that my grandfather worked hard to leave me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 11:26 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,258,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikester007 View Post
It's been like this since the beginning of civilization.

Times change, but human nature doesn't change.
Rich people are rich to begin with for a reason, and the reason, whatever it is, makes them richer.

Old 02-25-2015, 11:32 PM

137 posts, read 144,499 times
I am rich.

99/100 rich people I meet in various functions come from money and pretend they are self-made. The idea that they work harder is adorable.

The laziest people I know are either on food stamps and buy marijuana from my dispensary (i own a dispensary), or are on a trust fund pretend they are self made.

Donald Trump comes to mind.

Old 02-25-2015, 11:45 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,981,706 times
AmFest"Rich people are rich to begin with for a reason, and the reason, whatever it is, makes them richer."

Nonsense; Taylor Swift, who grew up as a teen in the town I lived in last decade, lived in a middle class household, is now worth $200 million, and grossed $64 million last year.

The MLB Pirates Andrew McCutchen grew up poorer than that..similar path to high net worth.

Many rich businessmen also followed this path. I'm familiar with folks worth hundreds of millions now who scraped initial investments not even .1% of that together at the start..decades ago.

Old 02-26-2015, 12:08 AM

137 posts, read 144,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
AmFest"Rich people are rich to begin with for a reason, and the reason, whatever it is, makes them richer."

Nonsense; Taylor Swift, who grew up as a teen in the town I lived in last decade, lived in a middle class household, is now worth $200 million, and grossed $64 million last year.

The MLB Pirates Andrew McCutchen grew up poorer than that..similar path to high net worth.

Many rich businessmen also followed this path. I'm familiar with folks worth hundreds of millions now who scraped initial investments not even .1% of that together at the start..decades ago.
Rich people try hard to make polls pretend that a huge percentage are self made.

Did you see the Forbes article on self-made millionaires? It's a lie, dishonest polling.

The income gap is larger than ever.

I'm rich. I mention this only to prove I have no axe to grind, not to brag.

I meet a lot of rich people every week. I'm telling you, friend, almost all of them come either from money, or from power, or from Jewish families who get a free pass from other Jews.

Truly self-made people are more rare than an LA-raised virgin.

Old 02-26-2015, 02:04 AM

7,516 posts, read 5,760,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
I don't know if any of the above is true, but my experience tells me that many wealthy people get that way through taking risks, working hard and a little bit of luck.
Some of it is true but you are more in line with reality for self made millionaires.

It's all about work ethic, doing what you have to do, managing risk and not fearing failure.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:35 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,062,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I got cancer at 23 (and really, had been sick since I was 18 or 19) and I still probably work harder and smarter than you, despite still recovering from 6 months of chemo. However, the financial devastation of getting cancer so young means that I will likely never be wealthy, and struggle to be comfortable.

But I'd never trade my financial situation for the self-aggrandizing and mental illness that would be required to gloat in such an OP.
How does the fact that you had cancer keep you from doing well financially. Unless you were left debilitated by the disease what will stop you from now going forward and becoming successful financially. If you were left with large hospital bills file for bankruptcy and start fresh.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:41 AM

1,160 posts, read 714,458 times
You all know this is a necro from three years ago?

Old 02-26-2015, 07:49 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,218,012 times
The key to understanding how the rich get so rich. What you need to do is first ask "In what form do the rich hold their wealth"?

Basically, isn't the wealth in this country almost entirely in the form of stocks? Bill Gates owns basically nothing but stocks, George Soros stocks, Mark Zuckerberg stocks.

In terms of hard assets, these people own basically nothing. Mark Zuckerberg hasn't really built anything. And his company Facebook has a price to earnings ratio of about 60 to 1. Which means, even if Facebook was to hand out all of its earnings in the form of a dividend. It would be the equivalent of a bond that paid 1.2%.

So you must then ask the question. If the wealth of the country is largely in the form of stocks. Then how do the stocks in the stock market continue to go up in price? Sometimes even when the economy appears to be doing poorly?

If you can answer that question accurately, then you'll know why the rich continue to get richer.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:49 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,062,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goingforarip View Post
I am rich.

99/100 rich people I meet in various functions come from money and pretend they are self-made.

The laziest people I know are either on food stamps and buy marijuana from my dispensary (i own a dispensary), or are on a trust fund pretend they are self made.
99/100 is a ridiculous statement.

There are so many examples of people who became rich through a combination of hard work, native abilities and some luck.

Quote:
The idea that they work harder is adorable.
Although I do not associate with people who are the Forbes 400 type of rich, I have had met, known and worked with many multi-millionaires almost all were driven and extremely hard working individuals.

The people who own the company I work for now are perfect examples. A 60+ hour work week is certainly not a stranger to them.

Quote:
Donald Trump comes to mind.
Donald Trump is a different story. He did have money to start but he grew it to something many times larger than what it was. you don't think he has worked hard in his life.
BTW I am not what someone would call a fan of Donald Trump
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies