Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 03:05 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,316,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Come on, you can read this forum and see how polarized we have become. My parents generation was the greatest generation. We don't hold a candle to them. They didn't outsource jobs, they didn't reward idiot women who get knocked up by 10 different guys with a check every month. They didn't want to be a military power, but they became the biggest, most badass power when they needed to become one and they defeated Germany and Japan.

I recently looked through the 1940 census for the town my parents grew up in. There was one person, ONE listed as divorced in a town of about 3000. What do you think that ratio would be today?

We are a shadow of what we once were. Anyone who says different is nuts.
Garbage. Women weren't allowed to work so they stayed in bad and abusive marriages.
Nice cherry picking instead of looking at the real issues of the day - they had serious anti-woman issues then, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 03:25 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,316,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In God We Trust View Post
the USA is still the world's wealthiest, most powerful and most famous and well-known nation.
No other country in the world offer not even 10% of what America has to offer, so you could just imagine.

Canada is the next best country!
10 percent? Really?
You believe your own publicity and propaganda.

What 90 percent of things are offered only in the US?
You made the positive assertion, you provide the proof.
Or is this just your baseless opinion?

Old 07-04-2012, 03:42 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,162,276 times
Why are so many Americans so utterly ignorant about military power, The USA would NEVER go to war with Russia or China because it does not have the military power to survive a nuke chucking contest with either country.

Old 07-04-2012, 08:49 AM

27,198 posts, read 15,375,157 times
We have allowed ourselves to become a country that mixes all levels of morality together in one bad recipe.

It's the "everything is valid and has value" mentality.

It doesn't work.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:07 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,596,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
No other country in the world compares to the U.S. We influence the world. Other country's embrace our culture, style, movies, sports, music, swag, etc... Prime example: Madonna, Justin Beiber, MJ, and Jay-Z can sell out 100,000 seat arenas in the Phillipines, Germany, Moscow....

In some obscure village in Africa and a mega city in China, little boys and girls know the lyrics to a Little Wayne song.

In the last 15 years, America has given the world inventions like the I-Pod, I-Pad, I-Phone, Facebook, Google.

American sports such as football, basketball and baseball are watched and covered globally. Soccer is huge outside of the US but barely makes a dent here.

Hollywood is a global institution. The entire world knows our movies and actors.
Here is one good example of America's biggest problem. Ignorance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Beiber is American????????
He'a a Canadian last time I checked. LOL

Old 07-04-2012, 09:23 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,596,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brockp0084 View Post
So what's the best country in the world? I'm sure noone would unanimously give the same answer.
I think that everyone should agree that it's Canada. Did you realize that in Canada everything is free. Ya, that's correct. If you don't like working the government gives you free housing, free medical care, free education and free money. Now the funny thing is, dispite the bungling blunder of the right wing idiots, it seems pretty clear that for some unknown reason the vast majority of Canadians would rather work for a living.

This is the reality of Canada.
My oldest son an MD, $350,000 per year.
Son in law, union carpenter, $125,000 per year.
Son in law, union fitter, $160,000 per year.
My wife, day care provider, $60,000 per year paid by the local government so single moms can WORK.
minimum wage, a little over $10 per hour.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:44 AM

1,182 posts, read 1,141,428 times
The United States is in a period of decline that will last some time because USA living standards will eventually have to balance out with the rest of the world as part of the Global Economic Order. But it is still a pretty good place to live. People still want to come here. The UK was once the world's power too but they managed their decline and the UK today is not a bad place. We will be fine. Will we ever be the fastest, smartest, tallest and most innovative again? Probably not. But we will be still a pretty nice place to be.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:48 AM

1,182 posts, read 1,141,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
No other country in the world compares to the U.S. We influence the world. Other country's embrace our culture, style, movies, sports, music, swag, etc... Prime example: Madonna, Justin Beiber, MJ, and Jay-Z can sell out 100,000 seat arenas in the Phillipines, Germany, Moscow....

In some obscure village in Africa and a mega city in China, little boys and girls know the lyrics to a Little Wayne song.

In the last 15 years, America has given the world inventions like the I-Pod, I-Pad, I-Phone, Facebook, Google.

American sports such as football, basketball and baseball are watched and covered globally. Soccer is huge outside of the US but barely makes a dent here.

Hollywood is a global institution. The entire world knows our movies and actors.
That is true. I was in Paris some years ago and they have a law there that requires cinemas to show x amount of French movies if they show foreign (ie American) movies so typically what a 10 screen cinema does is to put French movies on 2 screens and American movies on the others. All the long lines were for American movies. Nobody was in line for the French movies!

Old 07-04-2012, 01:53 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,320,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatSwissGuy View Post
According to your GDP, yes. But according to your GDP per capita you're not.

You're military would completly destroy any other regular army. But you're still not winning your wars at the moment.

Even I would agree that America is probably the "greatest" country over all. If you take economy, freedom, GDP, science, military power, culture etc. in account. But that is mostly because you have a large population and not so much because you're better than the small european countries. And you're definetly NOT 90% better then everybody else could ever dream of.

Did you just point out why China is such a great place. They have many more people and a rapidly growing military that could take out any of those European left leaning countries. I guess you really would consider them to be the top dogs. Hey, India has a lot of people and uses over 25 languages, maybe that puts them on top.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:17 AM

56 posts, read 41,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Did you just point out why China is such a great place. They have many more people and a rapidly growing military that could take out any of those European left leaning countries. I guess you really would consider them to be the top dogs. Hey, India has a lot of people and uses over 25 languages, maybe that puts them on top.
No China can definetly not be the greatest! Economy/GDP they are second behind America and they don't have any of the top universities. They're average standard of living is far lower then in the US. And by far the most important thing: They don't have freedom and democracy at all! Even though you Americans aren't as free and democratic as you like to think, you obviously have more freedom then the Chinese.

And I didn't mean that any country is great just because it has a huge population. Sorry if I was unclear there... I meant that some of your achievments are only possible because of your size. It's impossible to have such a big economy or military for a country of just 5 to 50 million people (like most european countries). So your size is an advantage but it doesn't make you great by itself. I hope you get what I mean... It's not that easy to express this in a foreign language
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies