Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2012, 10:51 PM

589 posts, read 855,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamestheFin View Post
Meh... a lot of liberal talking points often used to justify bigger, more intrusive govt, financial waste, etc. It's rather typical of Aaron Sorkin's other shows. I'm surprised the diatribe isn't a recycled one from the West Wing. All of it lazy and misleading.

Let's take the issue of asserting that other countries have the same levels of 'Freedom' that the US does.

What that bit doesn't mention is that we still have free speech compared to other places mentioned like Canada which, well not so much cf Mark Steyn and Ezra Levant. Add to that the UK, Austria, and more and more European countries that have actively prosecuted critics of Islam. Hell, the UK prosecuted a karaoke bar for playing 'Kung Fu Fighting' while some Chinese guy was walking by and was offended.

Despite the foolish Kelo decision expanding eminent domain, the US still has really strong property rights. Have you tried to start a business in the UK? I have and its a huge pain in the ass because of massive regulation including the property site. There lots of other examples of really mitigated property rights in Europe and elsewhere.

Sorkin/Daniel's character also shows a glaring lack of knowledge about the world. While not perfect, the US is vastly different from many nations and societies where the mobility is really restricted depending upon what class, religion, ethnicity, group you belong to. Malaysia's discriminatory Bhumiputra laws are just one of many examples that completely contradict Sorkin's claims. I don't think Sorkin gets how different Americans and American society really is from other places, even Europe. The racism, tribalism, ethnocentrism on display in Euro 2012 from Russia, Germany, and Spain are perfect examples of Europe being quite inferior to the US.

I could go on and on and on about the lazy and misleading statements made by Sorkin's character.
Right. But you won't because you're too lazy?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 10:55 PM

2,075 posts, read 2,151,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
What is a "Climate of Fear"?

This show reminds me of "Thirty Something".

ABC Promos: 'thirtysomething' and 'Moonlighting' - YouTube
A "Climate of Fear" is what I get every time Joe Biden opens his mouth.

"

Old 06-27-2012, 10:58 PM

90 posts, read 107,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad58 View Post
Right. But you won't because you're too lazy?
No, I'm busy and I've more important things to do. I'll be happy to come back when I have free time and conclusively prove much of the diatribe in that video is pure BS. I've already started with a few quick criticisms in my previous post, perhaps you can add on that. Surely you know something that I don't?

Old 06-27-2012, 10:59 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,880,434 times
Now Sylvester Stallone is a good actor.

ROCKY 1 Final Fight Best Scene.wmv - YouTube

Old 06-27-2012, 11:24 PM

11,158 posts, read 29,464,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
Now Sylvester Stallone is a good actor.

ROCKY 1 Final Fight Best Scene.wmv - YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qIgV...eature=related
Rambo first blood is was his best performance and why the U.S. Govronment will not bring the troops home because they are well educated and well trained and if we havd to cut funding for the military and being most of the troops overseas home and they come back to no jobs and their benifts cut and then the Govronment becomes afraid of the people again

the people in power will have to start listening and making changes since the troops that went and fought got hurt and died over there and if the troops get screwed over by the Govroment have a right to be pissed off and when you have highly trained , highly educated people with strong leadership skills and are not afraid to stand up for what they think is Right then things will change.

Last edited by GTOlover; 06-27-2012 at 11:56 PM..

Old 06-28-2012, 03:56 AM

56 posts, read 41,965 times
Quote:
Let's take the issue of asserting that other countries have the same levels of 'Freedom' that the US does.

What that bit doesn't mention is that we still have free speech compared to other places mentioned like Canada which, well not so much cf Mark Steyn and Ezra Levant. Add to that the UK, Austria, and more and more European countries that have actively prosecuted critics of Islam. Hell, the UK prosecuted a karaoke bar for playing 'Kung Fu Fighting' while some Chinese guy was walking by and was offended.
Being oversensitive to stereotypes and suing somebody for ridiculous reasons? Sounds very american to me...

And even though the US have stronger free speech rights than other countries you have other restrictions to personal freedom instead. i.e. you don't have the right to drink a beer on the beach, prostitution and gambling are banned in most of the US etc.

Quote:
While not perfect, the US is vastly different from many nations and societies where the mobility is really restricted depending upon what class, religion, ethnicity, group you belong to.
In fact social mobility in the United states is lower than in most other western societies:

Social mobility - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
The racism, tribalism, ethnocentrism on display in Euro 2012 from Russia, Germany, and Spain are perfect examples of Europe being quite inferior to the US.
But there is no racism or ethnocentrism in America, right?

Old 06-28-2012, 04:31 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,107,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad58 View Post
What specifically makes the USA of 2012, the greatest Country in the World?
We have the NFL. Case closed.

Old 06-28-2012, 04:56 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,279,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Brilliant acting, and what he's saying is true. Quit acting like the US is the most prosperous nation in the world.

America is not the greatest country anymore - "The Newsroom" - YouTube
The greatness of a country is measured by how many people are trying to get in compared to how many are trying to get out,
America is the greatest country in the world despite what liberals say

Old 06-28-2012, 05:09 AM

20,947 posts, read 19,165,202 times
It was a great scene, but it was just that.....acting.

The writers had one great point.....we the people need to be informed.

Instead of listening to 15 second sound bites and running with the information, inform yourself on the entirety of the issue before commenting.

Glenn Beck ALWAYS says (and posts supporting original sources) to NOT take his word for it.

He's the only one who does this.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:23 AM

3,709 posts, read 4,651,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
It was a great scene, but it was just that.....acting.

The writers had one great point.....we the people need to be informed.

Instead of listening to 15 second sound bites and running with the information, inform yourself on the entirety of the issue before commenting.

Glenn Beck ALWAYS says (and posts supporting original sources) to NOT take his word for it.

He's the only one who does this.
Yes, Beck was the only one who seemed to assign homework-----researching for oneself. All the other commentators want to be taken as the last word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies