Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you suffer from White Guilt?
Yes 16 5.65%
No 267 94.35%
Voters: 283. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 08:21 AM

6,807 posts, read 5,702,014 times

Advertisements

I don't feel guilty at all and I don't think about it very much.
We have lots of ancestors.. LOTS! Most blacks have ancestors that owned slaves.. Should they feel guilty??
Some of my ancestors were probably slaves.. Should I feel shamed? its a melee...

It's hard to tie any emotion to something that occurred so long ago. I suppose that if I could put my finger on a specific ancestor and say, he owned this slave and this slave is the ancestor of this person then perhaps I could feel some empathy for that person.. but I can't do that... not many of us can and that GAP or recognition, that GAP of common ancestry creates apathy..

I don't think you can simply cookie cut a period of HISTORY and tie the guilt for it to any one PERSON... every generation has known atrocities but the next generation is no more responsible for those atrocities than the previous one. Eventually, we have to simply look at each other and say, "it was NOT YOUR FAULT, and it was NOT MY FAULT" it was THERE FAULT>. That's it.. blame those who are responsible, not those who came after.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:22 AM

17,415 posts, read 12,044,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
Do you suffer from White Guilt? If so, why? If you don't, why don't you?

The ancestors of Whites (and even some still alive today), were part of a society that committed some of the worst crimes against humanity in this country. Should Whites today feel guilty? Many say there are not responsible for what their ancestors did. However, Whites have inherited the results of that history, such as inherited wealth, access to education, lack of discrimination.

Interesting to get your opinions on this.
Why should I? I didn't do any of it. I'm not responsible for the actions of anyone but myself. We should not judge today's morals on the morals of the past. What used to be the "norm" is no longer, and you can't change that.

And as an irish-american, there were parts of society that committed pretty horrible acts against the irish. Should non-irish feel guilty about that? I'm Catholic. Catholics both committed and received pretty horrible acts. What about that? I'm a woman. Women were treated like property. Should all men feel guilt about that?

White Guilt is just another progressive tactic to continue the "poor, pitiful me/I can't possible be responsible for my own actions and life. It's always someone else's fault that I'm a loser" mantra.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:23 AM

17,415 posts, read 12,044,441 times
Quote:
Which is what most people say. But you did inherit the "white privilege" today due to the acts of those in our past. Do you think that's far? Can you admit you have it much better than your fellow black citizen in this country?
Will this generation of white kids be able to say the same? They're the victims of affirmative action.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:27 AM

276 posts, read 237,024 times
Quote:

The ancestors of Whites (and even some still alive today), were part of a society that committed some of the worst crimes against humanity in this country. Should Whites today feel guilty? Many say there are not responsible for what their ancestors did. However, Whites have inherited the results of that history, such as inherited wealth, access to education, lack of discrimination.

Interesting to get your opinions on this.
If I'm guilty for the bad things my ancestors did, then I'm also laudable for the good things they did.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:35 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,252,507 times
Quote:
If one is going to assign guilt then where does it begin? Where does it end?

I accept no guilt for the for the westward expansion of civilization, or the Spanish Inquisition. Does an Arab (or Christian for that matter) accept guilt for the slaughters of the Crusades?

We're born innocent. I have enough issues to deal with as it is. I accept no man's burden of guilt as my own.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:41 AM

24,644 posts, read 38,773,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You realize that a very large part of the white population of this country me included is descended from poor immigrants that suffered under nearly the same conditions or even worse because they were considered expendable?

The children of white immigrants:
They were considered human beings and had rights.

Not so for descendants of Africans.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
Did you inherit the "black privilege"?
No such thing.........

Quote:
As a white women, I have nothing to be "guilty" about. The past is the past and it is time to stop the useless blaming about things that happened. Today is a different world and looking forward is usually far more productive than crying about things that happened in the past.
I agree that you should not feel guilty for who you are, but you should at least acknowledge that whites do have privilege in this society.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmsu01 View Post
I'm sure there are real privileges in America with being black. Nobody would question them being Americans, for example. I'm sure there are other things that black people take for granted that they don't realize.
Four Americans. Three females (Latina), one male (me, black Latino). All coming over the U.S. border at San Ysidro, California after a day in Tijuana. We all approach the border crossing on foot. Guess which of the four was the only one to get stopped by the Border Patrol?

So, not always the case.

And what of that lingering problem of our President's birthplace continually being questioned?

Old 06-26-2012, 08:49 AM

276 posts, read 237,024 times
Quote:
I agree that you should not feel guilty for who you are, but you should at least acknowledge that whites do have privilege in this society.
Whites also have responsibility. Where do you think the bulk of the tax base comes from?

If you want to condemn us honkies for "privilege", then you must thank us for all the work we do.

Sorry.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I'd agree but not for the reasons you're implying, my Great Grandfather worked his ass off to make a better life for his children, my Grandfather did the same. My Father was the first generation to enjoy the fruits of their labors and he made sure his children had a good life. I don't have children of my own but my Brothers are working hard to insure their kids live a good life too.
As white men, they had greater opportunities to work to make a better life for their children. They didn't have their land confiscated. They weren't worried about being lynched or thrown in jail for being "uppity." I could go on, and on, and on.........

Quote:
Wealth is not built overnight unless your name is Bill Gates, for most people who come from poor families it's a multi generational deal.
Yes, and whites have several generations' worth of a head start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies