Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 11:27 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,190,673 times

Advertisements

The site "The Onion" is satire. All of it. They make light of just about everything. No person quoted in their articles actually said what is written. The wiki describes it as an "entertainment newspaper."

As for Lance.....There are reasons to be suspicious of him. But I am still amazed that after 15+ years of scrutiny, there has so far been not one piece of scientific evidence that he cheated. Dozens of his drug tests were done out of competition and without notice. I find it improbable that if he were cheating that he was so good at it that he could have controlled his blood so well to beat test after test. Not one slip up.

People need to appreciate that Lance was a professional triathlete at 16. He was cycling world champion when he was 21. He is an "off the charts" athlete we see once very generation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 05:00 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,756,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Athletes will always try and get an edge. It is in their blood. .

I smoke a cigar while playing golf. It's quite relaxing. Maybe they should put an asterisk by my golf handicap.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:04 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,756,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post

As for Lance.....There are reasons to be suspicious of him. But I am still amazed that after 15+ years of scrutiny, there has so far been not one piece of scientific evidence that he cheated. Dozens of his drug tests were done out of competition and without notice. I find it improbable that if he were cheating that he was so good at it that he could have controlled his blood so well to beat test after test. Not one slip up.

People need to appreciate that Lance was a professional triathlete at 16. He was cycling world champion when he was 21. He is an "off the charts" athlete we see once very generation.
Spot on.

His first win was 13 years ago and his seventh was seven years ago. What a waste of time and money to still be searching for violations.

Old 06-24-2012, 07:08 PM

46,973 posts, read 26,018,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mid-Level Internetting View Post
Are you born with a rare gift?

If not, cheat or settle for middle class mediocrity at best. That's life.
Well - anyone who can even be in the Tour de France peloton is already extraordinarily gifted as well as seriously driven. With the investment in training it takes to even make it there, I can certainly see the temptation to try and nudge that extra 0.5% performance out of one's body, because the marginals dividing a good supporting rider and a star are really that thin.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:08 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,021,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiogenesofJackson View Post
This is a good discussion to have about athletics in society. For too long people have been blinded by the myth that athletics builds character and instills integrity in its participants. Actually, as evidenced by all the sports scandals dating back 100 years now, no this is a myth. Athletics destroys character and inhibits integrity.

Here's my personal experience with athletics. When I was a youth playing playground football in the sixth and seventh grade, my coaches routinely instructed me to cheat at the game--to hold in a way in which the officials couldn't see it. "If the refs can't see it, then it's not a penalty!" my coaches barked to me and my teammates. By high school DBs were instructed to interfere with a receiver if the ball was going to get caught. While coaches didn't encourage steroid use, winning at all costs was encouraged and expected. This sentiment was implied "hey, if you can get an advantage on the other team, then do it, rules be damned!"

It's no surprise to me that the New Orleans Saints had a bounty program. I remember high school coaches telling me to hurt players on the other team. "Take 'em out!" they'd scream. "If you can't beat 'em, then you have to make them leave the game!" In other words, play dirty and hurt them.
If you aint cheatin you aint trying. It's only a hold if the ref see's it.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Why then didn't they go after Greg LeMond? There are a hell of a lot of American cyclists that think Armstrong was up to something too.

That said, he passed every test he took, so i say leave him alone. But to say the French are just going after him because he's a perennial winner is nonsensical because again, why didn't they go after LeMond if that's the case?
Ask the frenchies. He's probably the one who got em pissed to begin with and they took it out on Armstrong.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I smoke a cigar while playing golf. It's quite relaxing. Maybe they should put an asterisk by my golf handicap.
Don't ever kick one out from behind a tree either!!

Old 06-24-2012, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Well - anyone who can even be in the Tour de France peloton is already extraordinarily gifted as well as seriously driven. With the investment in training it takes to even make it there, I can certainly see the temptation to try and nudge that extra 0.5% performance out of one's body, because the marginals dividing a good supporting rider and a star are really that thin.
Lancer used to kill em in the hills. Now was he just hitting the juice on the hill rides? I would bet he was using something. They all were. They just go after him because he of course won it and he was an arragant American according to the euroweenies. I say **** on em. Of course if he did they would gather it up and test it. lol

Old 06-24-2012, 11:18 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,930,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Ask the frenchies. He's probably the one who got em pissed to begin with and they took it out on Armstrong.
I thought it was the USADA going after Armstrong and not the French.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:21 PM

They were all after him. After his balls fell off and he won another it made em all madder for some reason. Probably the french let up after that because he was more like them after.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies