Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 01:07 PM

20,731 posts, read 19,395,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Sounds like a business opportunity. Never let a good crisis go to waste.

Agreed. They must be very happy to turn over their coffin stock so quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 06:00 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,835,909 times
Undertakers and jail guards are a lowly lot. You would think that death would be cheap and life as per usual was expensive. Recently my mother in law after a lengthy illness and a very slow death wanted her wishes fulfilled - on that side of the family they insist on cremation. I am not big on the burning of corpses but some are I suppose.

So my semi-estranged wife has the family undertaker pick up the body...There was a nice pink marble urn left over from when the mother in law's original husband passed away. It had been emptied and the ashes scattered by my young daughters on his old farm. So the body is disposed of and now the funeral guys expect four thousand dollars plus for firing up the old lady and putting her in a jar....You would assume that maybe a thousand would be reasonable.

What's worse is to have the ashes buried on top of her second husbands grave costs five hundred bucks...Years ago I worked as a grave digger in Oakland California...One of my jobs was to dig a little pit to bury ashes. The hole was about two and a half feet deep and about one foot in diameter. It would take me about 15 minutes to prepare the hole....I don't think that it is worth five hundred dollars...especially if the existing traditional grave has been paid for.

It is so irritating if you are poor that even in death they try to squeeze the last few bucks out of you...I have wealthy relatives who spend a fortune on burials and monuments...Personally I thought that it was not going to be a problem for myself when I leave this earth...My clever mother made sure that there was a family plot - and that everyone was ensured a decent grave.

The cemetery is a historic one..beautiful on high ground with dry sandy soil...NOW they exist that you purchase a fancy concrete liner to stick the coffin in..because of some NEW health concerns...Meanwhile there are thousands buried there with no problem...I thought dying would be cheap - now to get my sad old corpse stuck in the ground..has more that doubled in price.

Speaking of youth and premature death...My older brother gave up his grave for his son who committed suicide..Typical party boy- designer drugs...pharma product..that scrambled his brains ...I believe that this young man's grave is next to mine. I really don't want be buried next to some dumb kid who foolishly tossed away 50 years of life ....a guy who was given everything...and spit in the eye of God.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:26 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,835,909 times
Young people who do not think they will live out a full life are foolish. No one can predict what life has to offer. No one can predict how long it will last. As I mentioned in another post..When my young nephew died..The wake and the grave side service was attended by about 100 of the decease's party buddies. They were a pitiful lot...who could not understand fully why such a young guy was dead.

They gathered at the house for food and drinks. There is a large garage connected to the house...I step out to have a look at what is going on..There they are with beer in hand, joints a blazing and worst of all lines of cocaine on the fender of the riding lawn mower.

I remember the idiots of my own youth who would say "We are here for a good time, not a long time" - well they were right..Every last one full of this bravado who chanted this silly mantra are all dead. Your duty on this earth is to keep breathing for as long as possible.

The easy route of least resistance is paved with alcohol over use and drugs...it is the easy way out. Those that are young lose sight of the fact that the easy way is not the best way.

Yesterday afternoon I had a little private party with myself and drank vodka followed by some wine...This morning I look like a wreck..feel like crap and you would think that after all these years I would have learned that there is a price for pleasure...artificial pleasure...easy and convenient pleasure...I feel like a run down dog. "A dog will always return to it's vomit"

That definition of insanity..To continue to follow through with habitual behavior - following the same patterns and expecting a different result is true...Youth had better realize that destructive behavior always leads to the same place- either incremental destruction of self...or rapid sudden death.

What a waste of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies