Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 09:47 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,477,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Before 1913 they paid zero...

Before 1913, the por had property rights (no zoning).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 11:13 PM

25 posts, read 24,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
See post#2 for propaganda.
Post #2 is the bookend to Post #1; don't get it twisted. Just because you agree with the article doesn't make it, or you, the only 'right' in the issue.

Old 06-10-2012, 11:16 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,298,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Here is someone who has it right. This couple risked it all to begin their own business. They employ others and hope in doing so, their lives also become richer.

This is the real America.

Articles: Who Will Stand for Hard Work?

I thought rural America = real America, now it's business owners = Real America? I can't keep up with this right wing gibberish.

Majority of people in the USA are not business owners. I guess most of America is not real Uhmerica.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:02 AM

2,920 posts, read 2,799,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
It is funny how ppl with no resources, no opportunities, no skills, no education, and no future act when faced with hopelessness. I'm guessing you never have been "THERE", I have.
I agree with you: you are guessing and you guessed wrong. Look around, thousands of immigrants come to the US, many don't speak English, many don't have papers and they somehow make it. What is different about the Blacks? Why there are no Blacks driving cabs in New York City? Do you think barealy speaking English Pakistanis get preferrential treatment over Blacks? There is army, job corp, scholarships all you have to do is stop feeling sorry for yourself.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:36 AM

2,028 posts, read 1,889,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
From the article:

These people live in a free country that protects commerce with laws, police and a judicial system that adjudicates disputes. There are public roads, canals and an air system that allows them to safely send and receive materials. There is a public education system that educated them and their employees. There is a public/private power and energy system that is highly reliable. There is a communication network. There is a regulation system that set standards that protect them and their workers, etc., etc.

Yet, these people feel they did it all by themselves (and didn't even state what they actually do) and probably sit around and complain about taxes, that supported all the systems that helped make them a success.

Bill Gates Sr. used to say this: Suppose you were given the choice of being born in America or in Ethiopia. What proportion of your eventual fortune would you be willing to give to be born in America? Given the great good fortune of getting to live and run a business in this country that has all the advantages an advanced country with a decent system provides, how can you think it’s all you? And then, how can you feel you don’t have any obligation to pay it back?
Good morning,

You're basing this opinion on an assumption that successful people aren't already paying their share of the taxes that fund these public entities. What do you mean "pay it back"? They paid taxes before they became rich, and paid even more taxes after they became rich. Therefore, their debt to society for these public entities is PAID, not due.

Are there some corporate entities who have found loopholes to avoid taxation? Sure! So, let's get rid of these loopholes instead of generalizing all successful people (including the ones who don't have loopholes).

Old 06-11-2012, 10:37 AM

467 posts, read 665,226 times
Everyone go out and buy some good quality OJ, good coffee and milk. Buy and eat some real food. Go home after work, lock the door and keep to yourself. It's your money, your food- you paid for it. Watch some damn TV and use the phone to call your kids privately.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:15 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,205,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom123 View Post
Good morning,

You're basing this opinion on an assumption that successful people aren't already paying their share of the taxes that fund these public entities. What do you mean "pay it back"? They paid taxes before they became rich, and paid even more taxes after they became rich. Therefore, their debt to society for these public entities is PAID, not due.

Are there some corporate entities who have found loopholes to avoid taxation? Sure! So, let's get rid of these loopholes instead of generalizing all successful people (including the ones who don't have loopholes).
It is an easy concept, the wealthier you are the more you benefit from the infrastructure. The workers you exploit use the infrastructure to survive and to get from their home to your workplace. Without the infrastructure you wouldn't have workers because they would be too busy working for themselves to survive. The public infrastructure allows them to take the easy way out so them can devote time to you.

Sure they use the infrastructure for minor personal reasons but most commuters are using the roads because of business interests and to promote commerce.

Heck, most infrastructure, roads, bridges, rails, canals, locks, dams, harbors, Levees, etc are NOT built for the people. They are built for business interests, to move products to make businessmen wealthy. The infrastructure devoted exclusively to people is only maintained as long as business interest benefit from the people served by those improvements. When the mine or oil field is played out the moneyed interests are quick to withdraw fund for the upkeep of the infrastructure.

The working man is being hoodwinked by big business. They are the ones getting wealthy as the debt grows. The working man lives pay check to pay check and chips in taxes at every turn, but the moneyed interests, the ones benefiting from the whole system are dodging the tax man.

FYI, the poor smucks in ghettoland didn't run up the debt. If you want to know who did, FOLLOW THE MONEY. Whoever has all the money, they're the ones responsible for that debt, TIME FOR THEM TO START PAYING IT BACK.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:32 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,205,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
I agree with you: you are guessing and you guessed wrong. Look around, thousands of immigrants come to the US, many don't speak English, many don't have papers and they somehow make it. What is different about the Blacks? Why there are no Blacks driving cabs in New York City? Do you think barealy speaking English Pakistanis get preferrential treatment over Blacks? There is army, job corp, scholarships all you have to do is stop feeling sorry for yourself.
I'm guessing you're another one of "those" blessed with a silver spoon up their butt. Problem with ppl like you and mittens is you have real idea what living in hopeless poverty is like.

FYI, few ppl born into the bottom ever move up and out. Lack of viable opportunities is the biggest obstacle. Of course, not every one is smart as you are. Most ppl aren't smart enuf to create and run a successful business.

Lol, I'm not feeling sorry for myself, anything but. I was an exception. I did very well, retired in my early 50's enjoying the heck out of all the money I made.

I did grow up in a family of eight with a dad that lost most of his right hand in a punch press. I was working, papers routes and caddying, since I was in single digits.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:36 PM

49 posts, read 29,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
From the article:

These people live in a free country that protects commerce with laws, police and a judicial system that adjudicates disputes. There are public roads, canals and an air system that allows them to safely send and receive materials. There is a public education system that educated them and their employees. There is a public/private power and energy system that is highly reliable. There is a communication network. There is a regulation system that set standards that protect them and their workers, etc., etc.
The roads, airports, education system, ALL OF IT would still all be there if it was all PRIVATIZED. Government is a dated and useless concept and should be completely removed.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:37 PM

49 posts, read 29,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
I'm guessing you're another one of "those" blessed with a silver spoon up their butt. Problem with ppl like you and mittens is you have real idea what living in hopeless poverty is like.

FYI, few ppl born into the bottom ever move up and out. Lack of viable opportunities is the biggest obstacle. Of course, not every one is smart as you are. Most ppl aren't smart enuf to create and run a successful business.

Lol, I'm not feeling sorry for myself, anything but. I was an exception. I did very well, retired in my early 50's enjoying the heck out of all the money I made.

I did grow up in a family of eight with a dad that lost most of his right hand in a punch press. I was working, papers routes and caddying, since I was in single digits.

wah wah wah I wasn't born with a silverspoon either but I make well over 6 figures a year with much hard work and persistence. People stuck in poverty are there because of their own doing. Remove welfare, unemployment benefits, food stamps, financial aid and these people will get off their lazy collective butts and stop siphoning off the tax payer because they will not have food. If they can't survive, well this world is all about survival of the fittest, NOT survival of the tax payer leech.

Last edited by KenyanAmerican; 06-11-2012 at 12:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies