Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 10:17 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,864,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
No, he just hates you.
Then he isn't a Christian according to Jesus' own words, and yet he claims he is in almost every post on this board.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 10:19 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,833,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Then he isn't a Christian according to Jesus' own words, and yet he claims he is in almost every post on this board.
Jesus' own words established a very low bar to be Christian. Perhaps, you haven't read them.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:20 AM

2,488 posts, read 4,342,517 times
Quote:
When and where have I said that I hated gays? Post the posts here and show proof of it. I don't even know who you are and I don't know you nor do I say things about you. So, in the mean time, shut up about me.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:31 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,644,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Interesting. Will they listen?
"They" have not listened to anything but the sound of their own foolishness, so far, but I suppose we can always remain hopeful.

That said, I would rather they decide to stop trying to legislate other's personal choices, rather than just change their position to get votes. Still, whatever works to get Congress out of our bedrooms and onto the actual BUSINESS at hand.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:34 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Back on topic, the pollster is right, to some extent.

Republicans were able to make huge gains in parts of the country by embracing racism with open arms back during the civil rights movement. They're trying to do a repeat now by embracing discrimination against gay people. The trouble is, that's not going to gain them a huge amount of votes, because they already mostly have the bigot vote thanks to their embrace of racism and religious authoritarianism.

They're just cementing their position as the party of hateful white people who want to stick their noses in other people's business. That's clearly a problem for them, as the country is becoming less bigoted and gaining a larger minority population.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:34 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,864,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
It's not just this that bothers me, it's also all the stupid and childish name calling that goes on here.
And you've never been guilty of that? Have you ever read your posts?

I wouldn't criticize you if every post you make involving gays didn't drip with such misinformation and contempt for people you know nothing about.

All because of a faulty understanding of a 4000 year old book translated in the wrong language.

As a Messianic Jew, I have no problem with the majority of Christians who actually act like Christians. It's the extremists (Fundamentalists, Evangelicals, etc.) that I oppose, because their views are evil and destructive and do not resemble anything remotely Christian.

It's no different than the way I'm sure you feel about Conservative Muslims in places like Afghanistan or Iran.

I oppose all extremist ideology.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:36 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,541,842 times
These polls are simply wrong for the simple fact that there is no ground swell support for gay marriage among heterosexuals. Simply saying you support something because you don't care isn't support, it is apathy. Apathetic people don't vote much hence the reason gay marriage loses badly everytime it comes up to a vote.

A more meaningful poll is the one which shows that a 25% of indepedents are more likely to not for Obama as a result of his support for gay marriage. This issue is a losing one and the GOP would be wise to stay the course.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:41 AM

12,979 posts, read 14,647,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
These polls are simply wrong for the simple fact that there is no ground swell support for gay marriage among heterosexuals. Simply saying you support something because you don't care isn't support, it is apathy. Apathetic people don't vote much hence the reason gay marriage loses badly everytime it comes up to a vote.

A more meaningful poll is the one which shows that a 25% of indepedents are more likely to not for Obama as a result of his support for gay marriage. This issue is a losing one and the GOP would be wise to stay the course.
The difference is that things are changing, and eventually gay marriage will be accepted by most. The R's are on the wrong side of history clinging on to this, and the longer they do, the more damage they will do to their legacy.

This is a civil rights issue, and R's either believe in staying out of citizen's private lives, or they believe in legislating morality. You can't have it both ways.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:48 AM

17,439 posts, read 28,806,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
To quote Barry Goldwater, who was considered "right wing" in his time:

For all you repubs yah should read some about ole Barry, he was way ahead of his time.
He was the only friend gays had in the Senate for awhile.

Gay men tend to be more affluent, educated, and entrepeneurial than the population as a whole. They are a natural GOP constituency.

There are also a large number of straights that would otherwise vote Republican but who see how the GOP has become openly discriminatory against gays and who wind up voting Democrat as a result.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:49 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,209,197 times
Quote:
That would be because old, white, conservative bigots are more likely to go out and vote. California has an extremely large Conservative population.
So liberals are too dumb not to vote? Or is it that liberals are a minority that seem bigger than they are because they make the most noise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies