Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2012, 05:44 PM

72 posts, read 78,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Who said gizmo was gay??? Surely not I.
You said this in response to gizmo's post:

Quote:
because the state FORCES them to do so.......that isn't the premise of why people get married.

Skip the semantics.

Edit: And why not just whine about getting the same percs in a domestic partnership instead of trying to batter your way into an institution that never wanted you in the first place....???
Since you said "..trying to batter YOUR way into an institution that never wanted YOU in the first place," it appeared that you were directing that comment to the person to whom you were actually responding (gizmo). But perhaps that was just a general rant about gay people, not directed at anyone in particular.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:50 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,049,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJazzyP View Post
Most of the reasons you have listed have their roots in religious tradition, whether that is explicitly stated or not. Actually, the fact that many get divorced is not at all irrelevant, as it was not so many years ago that many states prohibited divorce, why? Because the church did.

There are plenty of people who see denying marriage equality as an attack on the family, btw. ^.~
I see - you just want all objectors to gay marriage in a religious box because it is easier to attack them when they are in one place. Sorry LJ - but the world is more complex then that. So are human motivations. And your analysis of the history and rationale of divorce laws in America is shallow at best and disingenuous at worst.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:53 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,620,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
I see - you just want all objectors to gay marriage in a religious box because it is easier to attack them when they are in one place.
That is because there is no viable argument in opposition to SSM that doesn't directly, or indirectly, have religious bigotry at it's core.

Sorry.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
That is because there is no viable argument in opposition to SSM that doesn't directly, or indirectly, have religious bigotry at it's core.

Sorry.
I provided at least two in a recent post. Scroll up. And stop using loaded language like "religious bigotry" - it makes you appear ignorant.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:00 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,620,475 times
Quote:
I provided at least two in a recent post. Scroll up. And stop using loaded language like "religious bigotry" - it makes you appear ignorant.
Rest assured, it's not me that been shown to look ignorant throughout this thread.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:01 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,794,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftyTrav View Post
Yeah....they found one of their gay judge buddies to overturn it.

Once it goes to the SCOTUS, and gets the permanent axe, we'll see how chipper you are then.
Don't be so sure. If you watch Meet the Press, it is not predicted. Also, the younger generation is far more evolved than the older uneducated people of this country. Eventually, same sex marriage will be the law of the land; it will take awhile though. It will not only be the straight boys with their rapist mentality that will be allowed to marry, but the gay ones as well.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:02 PM

868 posts, read 1,430,221 times
Quote:
I see - you just want all objectors to gay marriage in a religious box because it is easier to attack them when they are in one place. Sorry LJ - but the world is more complex then that. So are human motivations. And your analysis of the history and rationale of divorce laws in America is shallow at best and disingenuous at worst.
That was hardly an analysis, it was a very basic statement of fact. A large proportion of our cultural norms in this country have their roots in religious traditions, particularly Judeo/Christian traditions. Do you disagree? I believe that this applies particularly to how we have dealt with issues of marriage and sexuality.

Also, I have attacked no one, nor will I be baited into doing so. I have expressed a point of view with which you disagree. That is all.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:05 PM

30,409 posts, read 52,020,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Who said gizmo was gay??? Surely not I.
Maybe your comment was a general "you," but it is true that people often assume anyone who supports this issue is gay... I even had one poster accuse me of personally destroying society and marriage. Okay, that's kinda weird considering I'm a straight single woman, who doesn't even have children.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJazzyP View Post
A large proportion of our cultural norms in this country have their roots in religious traditions, particularly Judeo/Christian traditions. Do you disagree? I believe that this applies particularly to how we have dealt with issues of marriage and sexuality.
I am glad(not GLAD!) you understand this. But it makes your cries of "foul" concerning divorce seem rather silly.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:14 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,567,159 times
As someone who just moved back to North Carolina after being away for so long, I'm very dissapointed that this way passed for more reason the the gay marriage. Those reason are listed below: Too bad the selfish bible-thumping people of N.C are so closed minded. I hope you all sleep well.

Domestic violence laws protecting people in an unmarried partnerships might be weakened. (This claim has been debated by both sides, and it's still unclear exactly how the law would impact domestic violence victims. Opponents of Amendment 1 say many of North Carolina's domestic violence laws offer special protections to victims who have an established relationship with their abusers. So if the amendment narrows the law to legally recognize only marriages, it might weaken these protective laws for unmarried partners. Supporters of Amendment 1, such as Rockingham County District Attorney Phil Berger Jr., contest this claim. Berger said nothing in the amendment changes any laws on assault, rape, murder, or other crimes.)
Unmarried parents could no longer have the same child custody and visitation rights as married parents.
Private agreements between unmarried couples might not longer have a legal basis. This means, for example, that if a couple who has cohabited and raised children together for years decides to separate, the wealthier partner would not be legally obligated to divide property with his or her partner.
The law could interfere with unmarried partners' end-of-life arrangements, such as wills, trusts, and medical powers of attorney.
Employers would no longer have to provide benefits, such as health insurance, to the partners of unmarried employees.

N.C.'s Amendment 1 Doesn't Just Screw Over Gay People | Mother Jones

The Harmful Truth About Amendment One | The Coalition to Protect North Carolina Families
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies