Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2012, 11:56 AM

2,160 posts, read 1,955,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Woah, aren't you agreeing that the law requires certain criteria for marriage to take place? And don't those pesky laws interfere with my right to marry my cat? Why are you defending such unjust laws that prevent me and my cat from being recognized as having a committed, loving relationship? Why do you hate human/animal unions? You are a interspeciesrelationshipphobe. What harm can a paper that says my cat and I are married do to you?

Laws exist for a reason. You state that for marriage to be valid one party must have the ability to sign a paper - which a cat does not. In most states - both parties must be of opposite genders.There are also laws that require the parties to be of a certain age and that limit the number of spouses(usually 1). You are a hypocrite when you support one law but dismiss another.
Marriage is a bilateral, not a unilateral, contract.

What part of "cats do not have the right to enter into legal contracts" don't you understand?

Old 05-09-2012, 11:56 AM

2,603 posts, read 5,021,750 times
Quote:
The cat may not be able to give written or verbal consent in a manner that would be enforceable in court - but she does not have any true objections to being married. It is hypocrisy to prevent our marriage from taking place but oppose laws that allow only men/women unions to be recognized. You are saying one is restriction is OK but another is not. Make up your mind.
Yes. I am saying one restriction is OK but not the other. Your argument is fundamentally flawed. Marriage requires willful consent. A cat can't give willfull consent. You said it yourself.

BTW, I'm still waiting on the answer to my question about the general timeframe (plus or minus 5 years) in which you chose to become straight.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:58 AM

72 posts, read 77,954 times
Quote:
Woah, aren't you agreeing that the law requires certain criteria for marriage to take place? And don't those pesky laws interfere with my right to marry my cat? Why are you defending such unjust laws that prevent me and my cat from being recognized as having a committed, loving relationship? Why do you hate human/animal unions? You are a interspeciesrelationshipphobe. What harm can a paper that says my cat and I are married do to you?

Laws exist for a reason. You state that for marriage to be valid one party must have the ability to sign a paper - which a cat does not. In most states - both parties must be of opposite genders.There are also laws that require the parties to be of a certain age and that limit the number of spouses(usually 1). You are a hypocrite when you support one law but dismiss another.
This is utter nonsense and you know it. Comparing a loving relationship between two consenting adults of the same gender to you supposedly wanting to make things official with your cat is insulting and demeaning. It makes a mockery of people who have legitimate concerns about not being able to marry their spouse simply because of their gender. As has already been pointed out, when people start in with the ridiculous "why can't I marry my cat, dog, turtle, or that cute panda I met at the zoo" arguments, it merely indicates they have no rational and valid points left to present, and they start going down the rabbit hole into absurdity.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
The cat may not be able to give written or verbal consent in a manner that would be enforceable in court - but she does not have any true objections to being married. It is hypocrisy to prevent our marriage from taking place but oppose laws that allow only men/women unions to be recognized. You are saying one is restriction is OK but another is not. Make up your mind.
...and that's what marriage requires.

But, tell you what:
When your cat petitions a court of law for the right to marry, we'll hear your cat's (or your cat's attorney's) argument that 'person' in the Constitution includes cats.

Do you really want to belabor this embarrasingly inane argument you've presented?

Old 05-09-2012, 12:00 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Onions View Post
Marriage is a bilateral, not a unilateral, contract.

What part of "cats do not have the right to enter into legal contracts" don't you understand?
I understand that - denying the marriage simply because one party can't sign the contract makes any contract to that effect invalid. It also limits what living beings can marry each other - and really is no different then any other common sense limitation such as age restrictions, number of spouses, and the parties being of opposite genders.

Marriage is defined and there are laws governing what it is. Gay couples can get a civil union(not in N.C. - but hopefully that will be remedied). Marriage is reserved for those who meet certain criteria.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:00 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,671,534 times
Nowhere in The Bible is anything said against interracial unions. Homosexual unions, quite the opposite.

I personally don't like to see interracial unions, or at least it's not something I would do.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Nowhere in The Bible is anything said against interracial unions. Homosexual unions, quite the opposite.

I personally don't like to see interracial unions, or at least it's not something I would do.
a) The Bible is irrelevant when it comes to Constitutional law

b) The form of the union is irrelevant to the claim by another poster that as long as laws were equally discriminatory, they don't run afoul of the Equal Protection Clause.

Try to follow along ...

Old 05-09-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Onions View Post
...and that's what marriage requires.

But, tell you what:
When your cat petitions a court of law for the right to marry, we'll hear your cat's (or your cat's attorney's) argument that 'person' in the Constitution includes cats.

Do you really want to belabor this embarrasingly inane argument you've presented?
What is inane about it? Courts have upheld wills that named cats as heirs.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:04 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,021,750 times
Quote:
What is inane about it? Courts have upheld wills that named cats as heirs.
Because wills are unilateral documents. One person is deciding who will be their beneficiary. It does not require the consent of the beneficiary.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mieux View Post
It makes a mockery of people who have legitimate concerns about not being able to marry their spouse simply because of their gender.
Gay couples wishing to be recognized as "married" make a mockery of the institution of marriage.

Civil unions are available in some states - and they can and should be enforced. The states that don't recognize civil unions should change their policies so that they are available and enforceable. The push for "marriage equality" has only one motive - forced acceptance of homosexuality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies