Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 02:22 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,067,201 times

Advertisements

I voted for the 72 billion...before I voted against it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 07:30 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,949,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Poverty?

110 Million US Households
99 Million US Households with cable, satellite or both
90 Million US Households with internet service
47 Million US Households receiving Food Stamps.

I'll allow you to demonstrate your ability to employ logic and reason on the world wide web.

Don't fail.

What's wrong with that picture?...

Mircea

You are better paid.

You were over-paid for such a long time. You are now experiencing a "wage correction" and your wages are being adjusted downward to where they should have always been.

Economically...

Mircea
I assume you are referencing technology here, but not sure of your point. Are you implying the internet is a luxury?

Old 04-24-2012, 01:04 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,533,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
I voted for the 72 billion...before I voted against it.

Do you vote early and often?

Old 04-24-2012, 01:23 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,439,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
My fear is it may not matter. An American creates a fantastic new widget and off to China for manufacture. A handful of jobs in the US, 65,000 new jobs for Chinese.
Kinda makes one wonder about which system is working and which one isnt when it comes to China and Communism and America and Capitalism,
Saw a documentary the other day on China and it reminded me of America back in the 40's with every one who wants to work working, people buying bigger places to live, moving from walking and bicycles up to Motorbikes and cars.moving from the country to work in large factories in the cities.
No i'm not at the point that i'd rather live in China as they have some issues i'd have a hard time living with but those people looked happy and not the downtrodden government robots that the media generally makes them out to be..
Gave me the impression of a prosperity and hope for the future America once had..

Old 04-24-2012, 05:14 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,655,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
I assume you are referencing technology here, but not sure of your point. Are you implying the internet is a luxury?
I would say when it's a choice between that and food it sure is.
One can live without internet. I work in a rural school and about 1/3 do not have internet at home.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:49 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,944,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Kinda makes one wonder about which system is working and which one isnt when it comes to China and Communism and America and Capitalism,
Saw a documentary the other day on China and it reminded me of America back in the 40's with every one who wants to work working, people buying bigger places to live, moving from walking and bicycles up to Motorbikes and cars.moving from the country to work in large factories in the cities.
No i'm not at the point that i'd rather live in China as they have some issues i'd have a hard time living with but those people looked happy and not the downtrodden government robots that the media generally makes them out to be..
Gave me the impression of a prosperity and hope for the future America once had..
one word for americans,

tariffs.

America's Industrial Revolution took place with high tariffs

From the ratification of the Constitution to WWI, this vision guided the nation: All Americans participated in that free market as their birthright, but British merchants, who had held life-and-death power over the colonies, would pay a price of admission --a tariff.
From 1870 to 1913, the US economy grew more than 4% a year. Industrial production grew at 5%. The Protectionist Era was among the most productive in history. When it began, America was dependent on imports for 8% of its GNP. When it ended, America's dependency had fallen to 4%. The nation began the era with an economy half the size of Britain's & ended it with an economy more than twice as large as Britain's.

Tariffs alone cannot explain the economic success of the era. But high tariffs, nevertheless, went hand in hand with the rise of the most awesome industrial power the world had ever seen. And the Republican Party, which preached protectionism as the key to prosperity, controlled the White House for all but 8 of those years.

Source: Where The Right Went Wrong, by Pat Buchanan, p.154-156 , Aug 12, 2004
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies