Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2012, 11:43 AM

8,560 posts, read 6,416,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Though eyewitness testimony is unreliable doesn't mean it's not valuable. Juries are impressed by eyewitness testimony.

In this case, eyewitnesses won't be asked to id a shooter or someone from a lineup. The state might even use shadows as ID.
Actually that type of eye witness is even more unreliable than someone identifying a suspect from a lineup.

The eye witness testimony will be valuable only if the credibility of such testimony is not undermined. Such a witness will be cross examined by the State and people often forget details or have flawed memories regarding details. There have been many wrongful convictions based on eye witness testimony, only to have the case overturned years later.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:58 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
However, the Martins definitely said publicly that they knew George Zimmerman wanted to apologize to them, but it was not the right time, just before the bond hearing. They were both crying throughout most of the testimony of what happened that evening. His attorney already announced that his client wanted to meet with the Martins and they declined because it was very bad timing, just before they had to sit for 2 hours listening to details about the last night their son was alive.

I found a few posts that refer to Zimmerman's web site dated April 9 and 10. He only talked about the experience and how it changed his life and never mentioned anything about the family he destroyed. When did either of the other 2 attorneys ever mention how badly George felt. After all, they appeared on TV numerous times. Why didn't George's brother or father talk about this? Frank Taaffe?

Mark O'Mara is one of the toughest, most respected attorneys in Central Florida, and it's not because he's stupid. Of course he told his client to apologize and make it look sincere. Of course he's going to say his client did his best to reach out to the Martin family. His job is to defend his client and keep him out of jail.
Excellent post, justNancy.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:15 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,959,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgal View Post
The thing that bothers me is someone will profit from all of this..Martins or Zimmerman...Book deals, movie deals, interviews..Not sure if it is true but Trayvon Martin the name has been trademarked already I think by the parents.
This has already been discussed at length in other threads. In brief, people were walking around with "I Am Trayvon" signs & T-shirts that street vendors were selling. Trademarking prevents them from having rights to his name and image and exploiting the death of their child. Let's say you saw a store selling hats with "good gal is a &%$*& and your name & photo on them. You would go to a lawyer to stop them from exploiting and defaming your name and reputation.

However, I'm glad you mentioned both families, not just the Martins, so that's fair of you. The big difference is that the Zimmerman's still have a son walking around breathing.

In earlier posts regarding this subject, I listed several parents of crime victims who have used the money to start foundations for families of crime victims. John Walsh made a career out of finding criminals after his son, Adam, was murdered. Maybe you never heard of "America's Most Wanted?" Did you once look at John Walsh and say, "He's profiting off of his son's death?" Beth Holloway has her own TV show, "Vanished." So tell me what's the difference between her missing daughter and .... never mind.

Last edited by justNancy; 04-23-2012 at 12:26 PM..

Old 04-23-2012, 12:24 PM

1,765 posts, read 2,199,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
Arraignments are just a formal reading of the charges to the defendant, required by law, and the defendant then pleads guilty or not guilty to the charges. I don't think there will be any further questions asked of the prosecution about the charging document at the arraignment. Zimmerman will plead not guilty, and that will probably be it for that hearing.

Zimmerman has already been charged with the crime. Any concern about the charging document will have to be addressed via a different pre-trial hearing.
Thanks...for some reason along with the "formal charge" and "plea" I thought the judge could ask for additional facts to support the charge at the arraignment. I guess this would be handled at an "evidentiary hearing" where the judge determines if there is enough evidence to proceed to a trial...

Old 04-23-2012, 12:36 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,441,842 times
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/24/us...n-case.html?hp

The mob get's its first official scalp.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:43 PM

11,185 posts, read 6,518,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
Actually that type of eye witness is even more unreliable than someone identifying a suspect from a lineup.

The eye witness testimony will be valuable only if the credibility of such testimony is not undermined. Such a witness will be cross examined by the State and people often forget details or have flawed memories regarding details. There have been many wrongful convictions based on eye witness testimony, only to have the case overturned years later.
Take 2 things that eyewitnesses said in their 911 calls.

The dog walker said he saw a man held on the ground screaming. Another caller said she saw the guy on top wearing a white t-shirt.

Those were contemporaneous observations, not affected by memory changes or trying to identify strangers or being affected by authority figures, etc.

To fair jurors, I think that evidence will and should be important.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:15 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,959,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Excellent post, justNancy.
Thanks Cinebar. I also posted a link to a March 15 article. The headline was the Martin family wants FBI Investigation, but if you click on the video with a pic of Trayvon in a football uniform, it's actually an interview with Mark O'Mara.

The Zimmerman family contacted another well known attorney first who is a commentator on CNN. They wanted Mark NeJame's firm to represent their son, but he declined. I won't speculate, but so many people are talking about Zimmerman and how indigent he is. Maybe, but his family went to one of the the highest paid attorneys in Florida. There's a program to help the poor get state assistance, but usually the defendant doesn't get to select his attorney.

I'm sure Mr. O'Mara realizes that this case is putting his face on national TV, and he's no stranger to the media. Heck, if (God forbid) I ever need a criminal attorney, I'd want one of the best too. Some people assume that a soft-spoken man with a gentle demeanor isn't a smart strategist in the courtroom. However, Zimmerman has been described as a vigilante, a hothead, even a monster, by the media. So he's the perfect personality to contrast that image. Just a thought.

If this case gets in front of a jury, I'm guessing it will be televised.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:22 PM

6,032 posts, read 9,220,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Thanks Cinebar. I also posted a link to a March 15 article. The headline was the Martin family wants FBI Investigation, but if you click on the video with a pic of Trayvon in a football uniform, it's actually an interview with Mark O'Mara.

The Zimmerman family contacted another well known attorney first who is a commentator on CNN. They wanted Mark NeJame's firm to represent their son, but he declined. I won't speculate, but so many people are talking about Zimmerman and how indigent he is. Maybe, but his family went to one of the the highest paid attorneys in Florida. There's a program to help the poor get state assistance, but usually the defendant doesn't get to select his attorney.

I'm sure Mr. O'Mara realizes that this case is putting his face on national TV, and he's no stranger to the media. Heck, if (God forbid) I ever need a criminal attorney, I'd want one of the best too. Some people assume that a soft-spoken man with a gentle demeanor isn't a smart strategist in the courtroom. However, Zimmerman has been described as a vigilante, a hothead, even a monster, by the media. So he's the perfect personality to contrast that image. Just a thought.

If this case gets in front of a jury, I'm guessing it will be televised.
You really do hate this man?

Why not wait until the facts come out and the case is tried.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:38 PM

1,765 posts, read 2,199,527 times
"Defense attorney Mark O'Mara waived Zimmerman's appearance at the (5-8-12 arraignment) hearing and entered a not guilty plea to the charges he killed Trayvon Martin on February 26 in Sanford, Florida. Zimmerman said he acted in self-defense."

"On Monday, Circuit Judge Kenneth Lester unsealed all documents related to the case, unveiling a treasure trove of data related to Martin's death"

Old 04-23-2012, 01:40 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,021,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
You really do hate this man?

Why not wait until the facts come out and the case is tried.

Which man? Zimmerman or O'Mara? There's no hate here; justNancy posted a video and in it O'Mara discusses the SYG law. That's very relevant to this case, for both families. How can you read hate into a post that's about Zimmerman's lawyer? This thread is about the case; what else would one expect to find than a discussion about the specifics?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies