Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2012, 05:04 AM

3,160 posts, read 4,367,490 times

Advertisements

wow...
I have yet to find a reasonable person versed in the Law to say GZ will be convicted, I come here and all y'all are ready to hang him.

nutz....

Old 06-07-2012, 05:52 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,673,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bily Lovec View Post
wow...
I have yet to find a reasonable person versed in the Law to say GZ will be convicted, I come here and all y'all are ready to hang him.

nutz....
But...but...but...Bily, are you saying the babblers here aren't versed in the law?

Who knew?????

Old 06-07-2012, 06:26 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,508,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bily Lovec View Post
wow...

nutz....
Your idea of a reasonable person versed in the law might be askew. Besides the possibility that the state has stronger evidence than we know of, a jury can convict an innocent man. I think he'll go to trial and be convicted whether or not evidence proves guilt bard.

imo.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:59 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,649,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Yes, a thorough investigation should take place and if the it is decided a conviction can be gotten it should go to trial. Ironically, by rushing the prosecution to arrest and try Zimmerman, the supporters of Martin have made it less likely that Zimmermen is convicted. The evidence is not there to convict.
I heard the trial will not be until next year.

I don't call that 'rushing to trial'.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:21 AM

3,085 posts, read 5,240,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post

Not to mention that it almost took an act of Congress to get the man arrested and charged in the first place.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:54 AM

8,560 posts, read 6,409,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
The fact is cases are usually not taken to court unless a prosecutor feels he/ she can overcome the reasonable doubt standard and get a guilty verdict. I do not see any possible evidence that could convince a jury Zimmerman is guilty of any crime beyond a reasonable doubt.

Yes, a thorough investigation should take place and if the it is decided a conviction can be gotten it should go to trial. Ironically, by rushing the prosecution to arrest and try Zimmerman, the supporters of Martin have made it less likely that Zimmermen is convicted. The evidence is not there to convict.
Look at the last paragraph on Page 2 of the probable cause affidavit:

State of Florida vs. George Zimmerman | Affidavit of Probable Cause - Document - NYTimes.com

"The facts mentioned in this Affidavit are not a complete recitation of all the pertinent facts and evidence in this case but only are presented for a determination of Probable Cause for Second Degree Murder."

Additionally, there is more discovery to be revealed, and unless you have gone through all the documents in the court file and read them carefully, you really can't say with any authority that the "evidence is not there."

Of course, you may ultimately be right, and we will see that after a trial, but at this point your "evidence is not there" is just a guess.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
For accuracy, the cop asked for permission to arrest gz on March 13, not the night of the killing. The investigation was ongoing from the night of 2/26. The SPD was still interviewing witnesses, awaiting lab and other forensic results. GZ's story was being explored further. This process was not good enough for some people who wanted gz arrested.
So in relation to March 13th, when was it the State Attorney in the 18th Circuit decided not to arrest and charge gz?

Old 06-07-2012, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post

O'Mara, Zimmerman's attorney, has said a couple times the case won't go to trial before 2013. It usually takes about a year to go through discovery and be prepared for trial. The defense has also said they have about 50 witnesses they intend to depose, which will take some time to accomplish; the schedules of the witnesses and the lawyers have to be coordinated to a time when all can be available. Then, after depos are taken, they have to wait for the transcripts, and then further investigate based on information gathered from depos, etc., etc. The State will probably take fewer depositions, but still there will be a few additional depositions from that side. Expert witnesses must be hired and they have to review all reports and evidence about which they will opine....

Plus it seems that one option here may not be considered useful at this point, and that is an immunity hearing. The defense has to request an immunity hearing and they have not done so. That seems to indicate that Zimmerman's lawyer does not think that syg "evidence" is strong enough for the court to grant immunity and throw the case out.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Your idea of a reasonable person versed in the law might be askew. Besides the possibility that the state has stronger evidence than we know of, a jury can convict an innocent man. I think he'll go to trial and be convicted whether or not evidence proves guilt bard.

imo.
I agree with you here. Juries have certainly convicted innocent people as well as acquitted guilty people.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:53 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,753,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
This post sounds suspiciously like you will not accept anything short of a guilty verdict.

So - let me ask you point blank - what will your reaction be if the jury finds that Zimmerman acted justifiably - and finds him not guilty of murder?
RIOT, as usual!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies