Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2012, 09:44 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,311,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
In many parts of the country it is the Anglos that have failed to assimilate into the preexisting culture. Why do “they” have to become like “us” when they were there first?
Do tell!

Old 04-17-2012, 09:47 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,729,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
What about refusing to speaking another English in the country you move to?
The problem with all of these threads is that they are basically lies.
One cannot make a statement like 'Hispanic assimilation has failed' when the evidence is so clearly the opposite.
There are second and third generation Hispanics in elected office, for example, all over this country who speak English perfectly well, and certainly better than what is exhibited above.

And, the fact that these threads continue to focus on Hispanics while ignoring Koreans (been to Flushing or Palisades Park, NJ lately) or Russians (Brighton Beach anyone?) or Chinatown anywhere is, well, we know what it is.
The reason people are exposed to so many more Spanish-speaking people is because they ARE assimilating. They don't live in language ghettos like many of the other nationalities I've noted.

Get over yourselves. It is part and parcel of what makes this country great.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:49 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,847,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
So why are you typing in English, if communicating thru a common language is not important to a better understanding of one another?
My choice. It can't get any simpler than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Do you always take things to to absurd extremes? Why do you insist on marginalizing yourself like this?
I do that only when I come across with someone trumpeting those ideological grounds. And if speaking what I see leads to marginalizing self, and especially considering the audience, I’d prefer to keep doing that.
Quote:
I said it was a good thing that America was a melting pot of cultures and ideas, nowhere did i say that I approved of authoritarian, religious despotism.
A lot of things don’t need to be said, or spelled out. They’re way too obvious and speak for themselves. Only a connection deserves to be made.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:50 AM

16,762 posts, read 8,231,655 times
Quote:
For 1 American Culture begins with English as a start.
You are wrong, the Dollar is where American Culture begins, and the need,ability to make them. That is what causes the immigrant populations to learn english.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:

Do you agree that Hispanics don't assimilate?
No I don't. I lived in San Antonio, Texas for 11 years. It's a city where the majority of people are of Hispanic descent.

Most second, third and later generations Hispanics can speak English and have no problem in an "American" cultural environment.

However they have a deep respect and love for their own cultural traditions and see no reason to abandon them.

Most first generation immigrants tend to not assimilate into the culture of their adopted country. It was that way when the Germans, Poles, Irish, Greeks, Swedes, French, Italians, Scottish and other immigrant groups arrived in this country.

You can be an American and still respect the cultural traditions of your native country. As long as you respect the rights of others and don't harm other people the two idea ARE NOT MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE.

Last edited by JazzyTallGuy; 04-17-2012 at 10:10 AM..

Old 04-17-2012, 09:51 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,690,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
The problem with all of these threads is that they are basically lies.
One cannot make a statement like 'Hispanic assimilation has failed' when the evidence is so clearly the opposite.
There are second and third generation Hispanics in elected office, for example, all over this country who speak English perfectly well, and certainly better than what is exhibited above.

And, the fact that these threads continue to focus on Hispanics while ignoring Koreans (been to Flushing or Palisades Park, NJ lately) or Russians (Brighton Beach anyone?) or Chinatown anywhere is, well, we know what it is.
The reason people are exposed to so many more Spanish-speaking people is because they ARE assimilating. They don't live in language ghettos like many of the other nationalities I've noted.

Get over yourselves. It is part and parcel of what makes this country great.
Agreed, as if Hispanics, a term with a very broad net, are genetically predisposed not to assimilate.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:55 AM

20,729 posts, read 19,390,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I'd be interested in knowing what those are, exactly. Landscaping workers? Unemployed workers in Home Depot parking lot? Mexican grocery stores? 23 year old barefoot and pregnant (again) uneducated and poverty stricken women? Anchor babies? MS-13?

Feel free to point me in the right direction. So far i've failed to see any real value to *most* hispanics in America, especially from the intruders who have invaded our nation over the last 20 years.

I think it is stupid to accommodate Mexicans in particular because we never did with anyone else, including all those Italians and Polish people keep talking about in comparison. Its PC bull crap.

That said, you are in your own reality. Those "intruders" are here because that is what business wants to pay. Your own conservative buddies have Mexican cooks, gardeners, and nannies who are wealthy enough to hire them because they have a 100 more picking peaches and tomatoes. I have seen it first hand.

You are one of the most naive and politically blinded people I have ever witnessed , and that takes some doing.

I have nothing against Mexicans. I just don't think they are special either where we need to have everything spelled out in two languages.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:57 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,690,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
My choice. It can't get any simpler than that.

I do that only when I come across with someone trumpeting those ideological grounds. And if speaking what I see leads to marginalizing self, and especially considering the audience, I’d prefer to keep doing that.

A lot of things don’t need to be said, or spelled out. They’re way too obvious and speak for themselves. Only a connection deserves to be made.
Because you are choosing to engage in discussions and exchange ideas. Thanks for making my point.

For example, try making all your posts in this forum in Korean script, and then refuse to learn English or translate our posts into Korean. See how much understanding and interaction you have with the rest of us.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
I think it is stupid to accommodate Mexicans in particular because we never did with anyone else, including all those Italians and Polish people keep talking about in comparison. Its PC bull crap.

That said, you are in your own reality. Those "intruders" are here because that is what business wants to pay. Your own conservative buddies have Mexican cooks, gardeners, and nannies who are wealthy enough to hire them because they have a 100 more picking peaches and tomatoes. I have seen it first hand.

You are one of the most naive and politically blinded people I have ever witnessed , and that takes some doing.

I have nothing against Mexicans. I just don't think they are special either where we need to have everything spelled out in two languages.
Absolutely if American farmers, construction companies, hotels, meat processors, restaurants, and a variety of other businesses didn't want cheap immigrant labor these people would probably leave tomorrows.

The truth of the matter is the biggest single driver of illegal or undocumented immigration in America today is the greed of American business people and corporations.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:07 AM

1,389 posts, read 1,314,372 times
Majority of 'em oppose bilingual(?) education and don't care one way or another about multicularism hype. They do care about jobs and moving up the ladder.

Things like min. wage and suspect pub. education has been damaging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies