Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2012, 06:12 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Why is it that you're the only one who thinks they need to guess? Everyone else in the thread seems crystal clear on what has been said and what has been conveyed.

That's when you can be guaranteed to start the hand waving and pretending confusion. Your entire purpose is avoiding the actual discussion at all costs... even the cost of appearing dim.

It does you no credit.

For god's sake man, if you can't hold up you end of the debate why must you resort to stoning us to death with popcorn?
I asked sanspeur WHY he didn't believe what I had written. Is it a crime to want to know why someone thinks a certain way? I certainly hope you don't think so - or you might want to drop the term "Historian" from your user name.

All I did was ask for clarification instead of vagueness - and asked WHy he did not believe my post. What is the problem with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2012, 06:16 PM

33,542 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
No I asked sanspeur to clarify the question instead of leaving me to guess what he is trying to convey. As a historian you should appreciate clarity - instead of criticzing someone who insists upon it. Being clear on what the discussion is - saves a lot of wasted time - as evidenced by the two pages you wasted an hour or so a go saying absolutely nothing.
A good way to clarify what is said is to actually learn to read, rather than just looking at the pretty pictures...In any case I have lost interest in any further conversation with you as it is, as I said previously like talking to a bucket of rocks...Your mind is closed for business.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:19 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
I agree with the above post 100%. If you really do also - then I sincerely hope that you are not one of those who makes inane statements like "evolution is an indisputable fact". There are individuals in this forum who say that - and based on what you wrote - they are not true scientists.
Actually, it is a fact. While the details may be constantly changing, the framework is still there. It is the best explanation we have, as humans, to explain how we are where we are today. They are always adding to the theory, but that doesn't mean the 'bones' of it are incorrect.

Science (and by proxy, scientists) are always searching, always wanting to learn more and especially to disprove each other. Scientists looooove disproving each other and do you really think that if there was an alternate or competing theory with evolution that people wouldn't jump all over that?? Unfortunately, nothing has come close to it and it's the best explanation we have thus far.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Your mind is closed for business.
I think you meant to refer to your mind when you posted this.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:24 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,247,217 times
Yes, evolution is fact. As I have posted earlier, it is being watched as we type this.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:25 PM

Quote:
A good way to clarify what is said is to actually learn to read, rather than just looking at the pretty pictures...
What pictures? I asked you to clarify your statement that you did not believe me when I stated that my faith had nothing to do with the invalidity of the theory of evolution. I did not include any pictures in that post.

Last edited by Harrier; 04-14-2012 at 06:38 PM..

Old 04-14-2012, 06:28 PM

[quote=Harrier;23863692]
Quote:
A good way to clarify what is said is to actually learn to read, rather than just looking at the pretty pictures...Iquote]
What pictures? I asked you to clarify your statement that you did not believe me when I stated that my faith had nothing to do with the invalidity of the theory of evolution. I did not include any pictures in that post.
So, you are an Agnostic who studied evolution, found it wanting and then.... what?

What's your alternate theory?

Old 04-14-2012, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Actually, it is a fact. While the details may be constantly changing, the framework is still there. It is the best explanation we have, as humans, to explain how we are where we are today. They are always adding to the theory, but that doesn't mean the 'bones' of it are incorrect.
OK - since you are so sure of this - then would you like to take up my offer to present an articulate, well reasoned defense of the theory of evolution. I keep asking others here to do so - but they keep brushing me off. GuyInTexas presented a very good refuation of the theory. One would think that the evolutionists would be jumping all over themselves to defend their case.

Would you like to be the spokesman for your side?

Old 04-14-2012, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post

So, you are an Agnostic who studied evolution, found it wanting and then.... what?

What's your alternate theory?
I am not an agnostic.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:34 PM

Quote:
OK - since you are so sure of this - then would you like to take up my offer to present an articulate, well reasoned defense of the theory of evolution. I keep asking others here to do so - but they keep brushing me off. GuyInTexas presented a very good refuation of the theory. One would think that the evolutionists would be jumping all over themselves to defend their case.

Would you like to be the spokesman for your side?
Like I said earlier, there are thousands of volumes of information out there. There are people who have taken years to write PhD theses on evolution of gnats and genetic mutations in mice... would you honestly think a person on a message board could summarize evolution any better than has already been done here?

They brush you off because it's been a field of study for quite some time, and to explain it correctly would require hours of writing and multiple posts. Like I said earlier, if you want to study it, GO OUT THERE AND DO IT. Don't expect randoms on a message board to regurgitate information so you don't have to do the legwork.

Besides, I wouldn't take the time and energy to put together a fairly layman explanation (which I have done a few times in the past in the religion forum) only to have someone plug their ears and say LALALALALALA. Why would I bother?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies