Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 01:47 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,786,701 times

Advertisements

The Supreme Court has been used as a punching bag throughout this nation's history of political campaigning. Conservatives are just as skilled as liberals in this (witness the conservative attitude toward the Warren Court). The goal is to win a campaign. If a campaign strategist sees court bashing creates an advantage, he'll suggest that it be used.

This strategy won't sway my vote either way. I have no feel about what the other 55% will do.

Of course, if the mandate is ruled constitutional, then the conservatives will take up the court bashing strategy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 01:50 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,605,811 times
At this point, the only one I would want appointing anyone to the SC, is Ron Paul!

Old 04-06-2012, 02:57 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,258,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Actually, you need to be educated. Supreme Court wasn't designed to control the two other branches. It was put in place to work with the other two branches, with prescribed powers. And the idea was certainly not to be "political" as is generally the case with those people in robe.
Ok it is now time for you to list those prescribed powers of the Supreme Court
that I just can't find in the Constitution. The only thing I can find is "the judicial powers" and nothing more. The Constitution does set up the three branches of government and suggests that there shall be "checks and balances" among them. I guess I forgot that they are the primary appellate court of the nation.

I don't know how your copy of the Constitution reads but it seems to be a bit different from mine.

Old 04-06-2012, 02:59 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,380,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I believe that Obama is setting up the Court for use in the campaign, if needed. I will not post any part of this article so if you want to discuss it, read it and lets get on with it.

Obama setting up Supreme Court as a campaign issue - KansasCity.com (http://www.kansascity.com/2012/04/05/3538528/obama-setting-up-supreme-court.html - broken link)
So?

One should always take a Presidents personal views on issues when voting for them, specifically for the reason that they can appoint someone for life to the Supreme Court.

It should always be a campaign issue, and anyone who doesn't take that into consideration when making a choice for President is not making an informed decision.

Old 04-06-2012, 03:41 PM

867 posts, read 498,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
So?

One should always take a Presidents personal views on issues when voting for them, specifically for the reason that they can appoint someone for life to the Supreme Court.

It should always be a campaign issue, and anyone who doesn't take that into consideration when making a choice for President is not making an informed decision.
That's why the media "embargoed" virtually every aspect of the Rat's background except that he is alleged to be a Harvard Law Scholar. He (Obama) is nothing but a Chicago, strong-arm goon/thug/rat with a hidden past.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:18 PM

32 posts, read 20,139 times
Quote:
I believe that Obama is setting up the Court for use in the campaign, if needed. I will not post any part of this article so if you want to discuss it, read it and lets get on with it.

Obama setting up Supreme Court as a campaign issue - KansasCity.com (http://www.kansascity.com/2012/04/05/3538528/obama-setting-up-supreme-court.html - broken link)
I agree.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:01 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,439,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatles4evr View Post
That's why the media "embargoed" virtually every aspect of the Rat's background except that he is alleged to be a Harvard Law Scholar. He (Obama) is nothing but a Chicago, strong-arm goon/thug/rat with a hidden past.

Why a dirty rat he is! i like you. At least you can see thru to the medias portrayal of this President. He has gotten one too many free passes.

He is a arrogant pompas take my word kind of guy, do not disagree with me, or you will have to pay, that is thug style chicago politics.
Lets play a game, point the finger, where it lands no one knows.
I also agree with Roy, in what he is doing.
He does have a strong-arm thug-rat attitude.
When a man cannot admit he has faults, there is a problem, when he blames everyone in creation for his own stupidity, that is a problem.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:29 PM

684 posts, read 1,150,414 times
Quote:
I believe that Obama is setting up the Court for use in the campaign, if needed.

As he should. The ability to appoint new members of the Supreme Court is one of the most important reasons to vote to re-elect Pres. Obama.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:37 PM

13,684 posts, read 9,005,080 times
Quote:

Is that what you 'believe'?

If you had read an article that posted the opposite conclusion, would you have been starting a thread with a different heading?

Strange how one individual's opinion in a blog can so quickly become another person's long held 'belief'.

Old 04-07-2012, 12:52 AM

4,135 posts, read 10,811,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatles4evr View Post
It's as obvious as can be that what is going on is Chicago-style gangster politics by intimidation and/or force of varying degrees.

He has already trampled several walls of separation between the branches of government and there is nothing to indicate he has any propriety in him.

On the positive side, many Americans are smelling the rat for the rat he is, and I think this election will make Reagan's defeat of peanut head look like a close race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies