Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 06:58 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,201,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Can you name a single President in the information age who hasn't done similarly?

While it's true we should never make a President our idol, it's equally true that we should never identify a President as an enemy of The People or an enemy of the Constitution when he has been freely and openly elected. To categorically reject the Will of The People, as expressed in an election, is to thumb your nose at the principle of self government and insert your own, personal preferences above the preferences of your fellow citizens.

To claim a love of country and a love of the Constitution while denying the legitimacy of someone freely elected by our citizens is dishonest and dangerous to our liberties.
Agreed ^^^

Now the watch for the three wolves and a lamb analogy begins.... The lamb might not like it but the wolves WON the election.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 07:59 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,948,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
To love ones country is to never make their president their idol. It is the freedoms that we possess that we should adhere to and give our devotion to.. not ANY president for they can become corrupt.. the constitution and freedoms of this nation are the true forces that we should keep as our inspiration and being loyal to that which has made this country exceptional.

Obama is corrupt. He shows his radical words constantly . His contempt for the governing balance of power shows that Obama wants to be ruler and dictator. He wants no boundaries. The American people better wake up and so should the liberal media.. they may one day so regret their actions and support for this man who is such an ego driven man who will do anything to have the power all to himself. He hates the United States as he has no respect for the Constitution and the balance of powers that keep us a democracy.

Obama wants to be dictator and chief and he is manipulating his supporters to gain more power. He is the great manipulator of the masses and the media gives him the power to brainwash his followers.. watching this unfold shows me first hand how dictators come into power. Very easily and then the masses will flock to admire him and throw away what we should really put our devotion to, The United States of America, land of the free.
1)'Obama is the liberal idol:'
The only ones I ever hear or read suggesting that 'Obama is the liberal's idol,' are the hard-right. Many liberals are Obama's critics and the rest accept him merely as a president. The notion that liberals idolize Obama is only a right-wing talking point fantasy.

2) "Obama is corrupt:"
Coming out of the Bush Administration where $8 billion in cash just disappeared in Iraq; an Administration that tortured prisoners; where companies would get lucrative government contracts because they golf with Cheney; where Assistant Attorney Generals would get fired for not frivolously prosecuting Democratic politicians; where Americans would get their phones tapped without the legal requirement of a warrant, etc. -- and the right now calls the Obama Administration 'corrupt' when they sat on their hands and were apologists through all of Bush's malfeasance. According to the hard-right, Obama talking to schoolchildren is dangerous when our government wiretapping its citizens under Bush wasn't.

3)'Obama is a radical:'
You call Obama 'radical' but everything he did displays that he's a centrist. He helped bailout the banks, the pillar of capitalism; he saved GM, a company in which Republican President Coolidge exclaimed 'whatever is good for GM is good for America.' Even Obama's health plan -- a plan that resembles the plan the Republicans themselves proposed in the 1980s and established by the conservative Heritage Foundation, shows he's not leftist. (I wish he were, we'd have Medicare for all that is unquestionably constitutional.)

Meanwhile, the GOP House passes a budget that is so radically right that even Barry Goldwater would likely vote against it if he was still alive.

4)'Obama is dictator:'
To suggest that Pres. Obama is dictatorial, when he spent years conceding to GOP demands is delusional thinking. Apart from dictatorial, Pres. Obama is too conciliatory. In negations last fall, GOP Speaker Boehner stated, "I got 98% of what I wanted." If Obama is a dictator, he's a bad one, as he dictated that his opposition get 98% of what they wanted.

In summary, the right-wing demonizes all Democratic Presidents and Obama is no exception. They demonized Bill Clinton and even said that he murdered Vince Foster. They demonized FDR and even said that FDR sent a destroyer to fetch his dog. They demonized JFK for being a Catholic. In their own minds, the right-wing is only good and anyone who challenges them is evil. These people who demonize anyone who represents the average American against the wealthy and corporate interests should slink away in shame.

Last edited by MTAtech; 04-05-2012 at 08:09 AM..

Old 04-05-2012, 08:14 AM

15,089 posts, read 8,634,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
I guess you pay ALL your medical expenses yourself in cash when services are rendered ...
Believe it or not, there was a time not that long ago when Americans didn't require life long breast feeding from the government. Many paid cash as they went for lots of things, including a visit to the doctor, dentist, etc. And under that scenario, it was affordable for most people to operate in that manner. For those who could not afford to do so, it was quite common for doctors to donate time to clinics that would offer those people free medical care.

Of course, there were also cooperatives too, where a pool of people would contribute a modest amount of money monthly or yearly to a fund, and receive whatever medical care they might need, not at all unlike a food cooperative. This was most often an arrangement worked out between a specific doctor or group of doctors, and an organized group of people, on a local, individual level ... not some consortium or network run by "insurance" companies.

If you all examined the history of healthcare and of government regulation of it, you'd see how this federal intrusion led directly to precipitous increases in healthcare costs (massive increases in revenue for the medical establishment, particularly pharmaceutical corporations who's large profit margins allowed for them to have laws and regulations established for their singular benefit, at the extreme expense of the general public).

Hell, I recall 30 years ago, when I might come down with strep throat or some other common thing occasionally requiring a visit to the doctor. I paid cash, got a script, and off I went. I remember it costing me $15-$20 bucks ... that's it. Same thing with the dentist ... you saved and paid cash. Even today, most "dental plans" are really a joke, and cover only a portion of the actual costs, which have also become outrageously expensive.

Back in those days, people had what was referred to as "Hospitalization", which was indeed an "insurance" policy to deal with a potential unforeseen catastrophic illness or trauma injury requiring emergency medical care in a hospital environment. For all else, it was pay as you go, and that kept costs down because those costs had to remain affordable for the average person.

Today, the high costs of healthcare can be DIRECTLY attributed to large networks of so called insurance plans, and government programs like Medicare and Medicaid that establish large pools of money that can be tapped for a broad buffet of services that used to be the responsibility of the individual, and thus allows for those massive increases in costs, year to year and decade to decade.

Of course, there is no excuse for anyone failing to see how government intrusion into the private affairs for which it has no business interfering in leads to a degradation of whatever it assumes control ... including increased costs without a commensurate increase in efficiency or productivity. It's too consistent a track record of failure for anyone to miss.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:38 AM

5,503 posts, read 7,333,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Interesting to me is that if this is struck down, we get closer to the liberal dream of single payer health care. This larded law is basically built to protect he health insurance industry. We either proceed with the current system without the mandate, which would devastate the industry, or we go back to the single payer model of socialized health care, which the people want, but the GOP does not.

Frankly, I am all in for the single payer model. Plenty of other successful countries do it, and it takes a heavy burden off their companies. So, the SCOTUS is basically saying the private model suggested by the GOP in the 1990s, and adopted by Obama with modifications, is not tenable. Fine. Time to join the rest of the civilized world with single payer.

I think the SCOTUS is smart enough to see these consequences, and so will not rule against it. It is the biggest boon to the health insurance industry in our history. Now that I think of it, I hope they do turn it down!

*** As an aside, I enjoyed listening to the justices debate this. It is a very important question for our country, and it is cool to have these discussion. That is, if people are really thinking about the implications of this issue.
First, Obama's stated goal of Obamacare is to have it turn into a single payer over the course of time. That will happen as private companies begin to fold.
Second, You will not have the votes in Congress to pass single payer.
Third, We have the finest health care in the world now, why take a step back to mediocrity.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:56 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,948,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
First, Obama's stated goal of Obamacare is to have it turn into a single payer over the course of time. That will happen as private companies begin to fold.
Second, You will not have the votes in Congress to pass single payer.
Third, We have the finest health care in the world now, why take a step back to mediocrity.
Do you have documentation to back up your assertion that "Obama's stated goal of Obamacare is to have it turn into a single payer over the course of time?" The single-payer proposal was the first item to get thrown under the bus by Obama.

During the 2008 Democratic primary, John Edwards vocally supported single payer but not Obama. Mr. Obama repeatedly said then that health reform should be negotiated at a “big table†that would include insurance companies and drug companies. He exactly said, “We want to reduce the power of drug companies and insurance companies and so forth, but the notion that they will have no say-so at all in anything is just not realistic.â€

So, the claim that Obama wanted a single-payer system seems not to have actual evidential support.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:18 AM

15,089 posts, read 8,634,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
1)'Obama is the liberal idol:'
The only ones I ever hear or read suggesting that 'Obama is the liberal's idol,' are the hard-right. Many liberals are Obama's critics and the rest accept him merely as a president. The notion that liberals idolize Obama is only a right-wing talking point fantasy.
Nonsense .... we all saw the "crying crowds" and the unprecedented exuberant idolization of this political hack from the Obamabots, wearing Obama tee shirts, face painted, tears streaming. From celebrities like Oprah, to the children singing the "Obama gonna save us" and the "yes we can" chants of the huge crowds fawning over him like teenaged girls seeing the Beatles for the first time ... fainting and crying.

Quote:
2) "Obama is corrupt:"
Coming out of the Bush Administration where $8 billion in cash just disappeared in Iraq; an Administration that tortured prisoners; where companies would get lucrative government contracts because they golf with Cheney; where Assistant Attorney Generals would get fired for not frivolously prosecuting Democratic politicians; where Americans would get their phones tapped without the legal requirement of a warrant, etc. -- and the right now calls the Obama Administration 'corrupt' when they sat on their hands and were apologists through all of Bush's malfeasance. According to the hard-right, Obama talking to schoolchildren is dangerous when our government wiretapping its citizens under Bush wasn't.
Yes he is ... he eclipsed the corruption of the Bush administration ... a feat that seemed altogether impossible for anyone to accomplish ... and the lies ... oh the lies became evident from day 1 ... "I'm not going to have Lobbyists in my administration" followed by literally filling his administration with Wall Street crooks, who immediately proceded to outpace the Bush administration's disastrous contributions to the national debt.

Obama not only maintained Bush administration policies on spying and torture and war mongering ... he EXPANDED them to new heights ... including bypassing congress altogether claiming United Nations authority to war with Libya and elsewhere.

Obama is Bush .... on steroids.

Quote:
3)'Obama is a radical:'
You call Obama 'radical' but everything he did displays that he's a centrist. He helped bailout the banks, the pillar of capitalism; he saved GM, a company in which Republican President Coolidge exclaimed 'whatever is good for GM is good for America.' Even Obama's health plan -- a plan that resembles the plan the Republicans themselves proposed in the 1980s and established by the conservative Heritage Foundation, shows he's not leftist. (I wish he were, we'd have Medicare for all that is unquestionably constitutional.)

Meanwhile, the GOP House passes a budget that is so radically right that even Barry Goldwater would likely vote against it if he was still alive.
Funny how you can call someone a "Centrist" when clearly the overwhelming majority of Americans were dead set against Baliouts for the crooked Billionaire Banker gangsters. I call that thumbing your nose at the American public, and doing as you please ... or more accurately, doing as you are told by your "Wall Street Owners".

And it's LAUGHABLE to claim he isn't a leftist ... he's as far left as one can get ... a constitution hating, gun grabbing crook who even had the unmitigated gaul to criticise the "Sermon on the Mount" while saying very arrogantly .. "People haven't been reading their bible".

His extreme racist pastor with his extreme radical anti-white anti-American rhetoric for which Obama claimed he never once heard in 20 years of attendence was a bald faced lie ... but so is everything else that comes out of that liar's mouth. Of course, Mrs. Obama and her "This is the first time in my life that I'm proud of America" comments betrays their true disdain for America. Hardly what someone could mistake for being a "Centrist".

One example says it all .... Bill Ayers and his revolutionary communist radical party of the Wheather Underground, and Obama's connections to that group is well established FACT.

Obama would be viewed as left wing at the freaking Kremlin.

Quote:
4)'Obama is dictator:'
To suggest that Pres. Obama is dictatorial, when he spent years conceding to GOP demands is delusional thinking. Apart from dictatorial, Pres. Obama is too conciliatory. In negations last fall, GOP Speaker Boehner stated, "I got 98% of what I wanted." If Obama is a dictator, he's a bad one, as he dictated that his opposition get 98% of what they wanted.

In summary, the right-wing demonizes all Democratic Presidents and Obama is no exception. They demonized Bill Clinton and even said that he murdered Vince Foster. They demonized FDR and even said that FDR sent a destroyer to fetch his dog. They demonized JFK for being a Catholic. In their own minds, the right-wing is only good and anyone who challenges them is evil. These people who demonize anyone who represents the average American against the wealthy and corporate interests should slink away in shame.
FDR, being one of the greatest traitors in the history of the United States, one need not be right wing to criticize him ... just a few working brain cells would suffice.

But to mention Obama and JFK in the same discussion is a tragic and gross assault on the integrity of President Kennedy, our last true president that was not a puppet on strings controlled by the Bankers.

But it is true that some were critical of having an Irish Catholic become president ... and that just highlights the disastrous depths to which this nation has fallen which now embraces a communist Muslim and likely foreign born, Madison Avenue creation like Obama, put in place by the gangsters to dismantle America politically and financially.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:22 AM

5,503 posts, read 7,333,723 times
As usual the president was lying in the OP's statement. There was barely a majority to pass this law and that was only achieved by buying off several representatives. Several of those who voted fro the law were not elected but appointed. The law was not passed by a bipartisan vote. The law was never embraced by the American people. It is not unprecedented for the SC to strike down a law an unconstitutional. He is just saying what he thinks will help him politically. Most of his followers are ignorant enough to believe the lies he says.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:31 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Can you name a single President in the information age who hasn't done similarly?

While it's true we should never make a President our idol, it's equally true that we should never identify a President as an enemy of The People or an enemy of the Constitution when he has been freely and openly elected. To categorically reject the Will of The People, as expressed in an election, is to thumb your nose at the principle of self government and insert your own, personal preferences above the preferences of your fellow citizens.

To claim a love of country and a love of the Constitution while denying the legitimacy of someone freely elected by our citizens is dishonest and dangerous to our liberties.
Your claim is false. The polls say THE PEOPLE DO NOT WANT OBAMACARE. Obama does not do the will of the people. Obama does his own will and not the peoples will.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:37 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
Quote:
Your claim is false. The polls say THE PEOPLE DO NOT WANT OBAMACARE. Obama does not do the will of the people. Obama does his own will and not the peoples will.

Poll's, schmoll's. This country doesn't operate on polls. It operates on the Will of The People as expressed by the actions of the Congress we elect.

You can quote all the polls you like, but the one that matters is the "poll" taken in Congress when they responded to the Will of The People by voting for it.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:40 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,201,923 times
Quote:
Yep, the less a person knows about ACA the less they like it, while the more informed a persons is the mote they like ACA.

Quote:
Those with a favorable view of the law were more likely to follow news of it than those with a negative view of the law.

Mollyann Brodie, a Kaiser Family Foundation pollster, who spoke Wednesday at a briefing on the upcoming Supreme Court case, offered a guess as to why American's remain clueless about the law: most of them have not been affected by it.
Medical News:%20ACA Poll: Public Short on Facts, Long on Opinions - in Washington-Watch, Reform from MedPage Today
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies