Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 04:19 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,536,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
I have to admit, I would be unable to come up with a thread more retarded than this. (my apologies to those with an IQ from 70 to 85).

'Gentleness' Well, we bailed out Europe twice from war, stopped Japanese aggression, and saved a good chunk of Europe's arses.
I think, instead, we should have given them all a big wet sloppy kiss, held hands, and sang 'kumbaya'.

Personally, I am getting tired of spending money to protect others (those that do not attack the US or its interests), and fix things the way Edward Teller's inventions were designed to do.

'nuff of my rant.

You got a Rep for this one~

2,615 posts, read 5,412,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Funny, I think the opposite, most American actors are not good at all. Yes, the camera is different, of course. Lighting is also different. Everything is different. European movies tend to be more natural, less staged.
I can tell a Brazilian Globo soap apart from a Brazilian Record sopa within 3 seconds, just from the way the image looks. Brazilians have excellent actors by the way.
Personally, I really like Spanish films. I saw a great one recently called The Orphanage.

I think the main difference between films of all European countries (including Britain) and the US is that they tend to be grittier, moodier and the actors and actresses used tend to be more realistic looking, rather than having to be Hollywood pinups. The same is true in television dramas. I think that Americans seek a slightly different type of escapism in TV and movies, not that either is better or worse as the US has of course produced some amazing television and film, much of which I grew up with, along with the home grown stuff.

25,947 posts, read 24,805,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Gee, yet another bash America thread by the OP. I'm shocked, shocked I tell you!
It was a question, not even a rhetorical one. You could simply say no, my impression is wrong, and that's it.
There is no bashing. Accusing others of bashing is a common strategy to try and stifle any criticism or mere observation these days.

Old 03-31-2012, 04:21 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,536,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Gee, yet another bash America thread by the OP. I'm shocked, shocked I tell you!
You too, a Rep for this one.

We are THE most giving nation on Earth. We help others in need even after them accusing us of all types of things. Guess that makes us pretty tolerant, too.

Old 03-31-2012, 04:22 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,990,111 times
Quote:
It was a question, not even a rhetorical one. You could simply say no, my impression is wrong, and that's it.
There is no bashing. Accusing others of bashing is a common strategy to try and stifle any criticism or mere observation these days.
I think they meant that a semi intelligent person wouldn't be asking a question like that from the start.

Old 03-31-2012, 04:24 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,849,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
From American who was born and raised in one of the states that served as a cradle of our founding, I'll answer honestly.

A resounding YES.

Many Americans view gentleness, charity, love, sweetness with contempt and disdain. So many Americans think that the rugged cowboy archetype is the end all/be all of a "real" American.

Americans take issue with things like giving and receiving charity, not being tough, etc. Look at bugler's post. Says the opposite of "tough" is "girly and feminine" as if (a) one cannot be masculine w/o being tough and (b) being girly and feminine is somehow less than.

This book touches on the American phenomenon of disdain for giving and receiving as well as the distaste of showing emotion:

Amazon.com: The Way We Never Were: American Families And The Nostalgia Trap (9780465090976): Stephanie Coontz: Books

It's a good read. I highly recommend it.
British control of emotion and that stiff upper lip of cruelty is what built the British Empire...and these inherited traits is what also built America.

For a nation that likes to call itself a Christian empire..they don't really adhere to the concepts of Jesus...after 911...IF AMERICA was a Christian nation..they would have sent a letter of forgiveness to Muslim extremists..stating ..."we forgive you..do that again and we will nuke all of you" - Instead...of they ran in the wrong direction...looking for revenge in the wrong places...costing billions of dollars and thousands of lives..not to mention...granting tons of money to the fear industry who's greed is not satisfied to this day...

Old 03-31-2012, 04:25 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,805,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Because the best of the best come to USA and live here, leaving the actors who aren't quite as good in Europe. I'm not saying Europeans can't be good actors, that would be crazy... but the best ones come to USA where the real money is.

The quality in a French movie vs an American movie just does not compete. That's not even touching TV
Funny, the French see it the other way round, they think their movies are the best. I am not supporting either side as I don't like either, just saying...
Australian and British actors go to Hollywood mostly because they speak English anyway. Australia has a rather small movie industry.

I find it interesting that in so many posts in this thread money is mentioned to prove something...

Old 03-31-2012, 04:26 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,412,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Because the best of the best come to USA and live here, leaving the actors who aren't quite as good in Europe. I'm not saying Europeans can't be good actors, that would be crazy... but the best ones come to USA where the real money is.

The quality in a French movie vs an American movie just does not compete. That's not even touching TV
That isn't always true either. There are a plethora of great actors in Europe who have simply chosen to not transition to Hollywood. Take Sean Bean for example. Great British actor who didn't touch Hollywood until relatively recently, namely after he was in Lord Of The Rings. Prior to that, he was in loads of TV dramas, one springs to mind is Sharpe, which makes The Tudors look absolutely idiotic in comparison to the caliber of that drama series. Scandinavia too has a plethora of great actors who have perfect command of the English language, but who choose to ply their trades in Europe. One example is Swedish actor Joakim Nätterqvist, who started in Arn- The Knight Templar and a host of dramas.

Hollywood is not the be all and end all of everything and plenty of amazing films are made outside the US too that are not inferior. There are so many great actors from just the UK alone that I could list that you would never likely have heard of. Just because they're not filthy rich and haven't starred in Hollywood blockbusters, doesn't mean they are inferior. Not everyone wants ridiculous wealth and celebrity status. Even Johnny Depp tries to stay out of the limelight.

Old 03-31-2012, 04:29 PM

Quote:

I find it interesting that in so many posts in this thread money is mentioned to prove something...

It was stated that Americans give more money to help charities than anyone else in the world. What do Europeans consider better... lending moral support?

Where else was money used to prove a point?

Old 03-31-2012, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
That isn't always true either. There are a plethora of great actors in Europe who have simply chosen to not transition to Hollywood. Take Sean Bean for example. Great British actor who didn't touch Hollywood until relatively recently, namely after he was in Lord Of The Rings. Prior to that, he was in loads of TV dramas, one springs to mind is Sharpe, which makes The Tudors look absolutely idiotic in comparison to the caliber of that drama series. Scandinavia too has a plethora of great actors who have perfect command of the English language, but who choose to ply their trades in Europe. One example is Swedish actor Joakim Nätterqvist, who started in Arn- The Knight Templar and a host of dramas.

Hollywood is not the be all and end all of everything and plenty of amazing films are made outside the US too that are not inferior.
For the most part it is, which is why most of the world knows all of the hollywood actors but many would be hard pressed to name most actors outside of Hollywood. I'm not denying that there are great foreign films... I tend to watch MOSTLY foreign films, but to say the quality of acting in the other film industries compares to hollywood is just ludacris.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies