Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 02:21 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,796,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Oprah is clearly a job creator. A tax cut would help her have enough money to start hiring again.
Ya know, right now I feel like Elaine Bennis and just want to smack your silliness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 02:45 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,570,733 times
Gee..Oprah should just eat her losses and keep them on the payroll. It's ONLY FAIR.
She's a 1%er and can afford to lose some money.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:48 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,664,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Those people deserved those jobs and she is so cruel to make them unemployed, you'd think she turned Capitalist.

http://http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/oprah-winfrey-own-layoffs-rosie-odonnell-301717 (broken link)

Hate to break it to you OP but that's the nature of the entertainment industry.

Lived in the LA area for many years and had friends and neigbhors who worked in the TV and film industry. It was either feast or famine.

And if someone was a production asst. on sitcom that ran 5yrs, when the show was over the job went away.

People who work in that industry know the drill.

Old 03-22-2012, 03:04 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,150,110 times
We don't watch that much TV, but i'm pretty sure none of us could actually find the OWN network if we tried. I don't recall ever seeing it when skipping through channels. Does it exist? LOL....If so, where? Perhaps that's why viewers don't watch it? Or maybe i'm dense? lol

Old 03-22-2012, 03:12 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,109,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Oh come on now! She's announced years ago she was planning on retirement. Things were bound to be rearranged.

What would you have her do? Maintain air space and a full staff for a show she's no longer hosting? Wouldn't that be a wee bit nutter?

She's laying people off from the OWN Network which she launched about year ago. This has nothing to do with the original show.

As for the OP I believe what the poster is pointing out is the criticism that has been mounted against companies for laying off people and/or not hiring over the last few years when they are sitting on a lot of cash.

Old 03-22-2012, 03:14 PM

78,545 posts, read 60,737,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Oh come on now! She's announced years ago she was planning on retirement. Things were bound to be rearranged.

What would you have her do? Maintain air space and a full staff for a show she's no longer hosting? Wouldn't that be a wee bit nutter?
Um, newsflash....she shut down her SHOW and started an entire NETWORK.

Also, if this were some oil or healthcare exec you and einstein (oh the irony there) would be screaming about him laying off people to protect his obscene bonus.

Which goes to show that you guys are just party hacks and don't really care about issues...like most of the rest of the posters in this thread whom are just piling on Oprah because she put Obama in the Whitehouse and if she were a big republican backer they'd be cheering her.

Old 03-22-2012, 03:17 PM

161 posts, read 141,721 times
Who cares? Oprah is as capitalist as it gets. She's Sarah Palin, except she uses a different means to extract money from naive housewives.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:54 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,664,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
She's laying people off from the OWN Network which she launched about year ago. This has nothing to do with the original show.

As for the OP I believe what the poster is pointing out is the criticism that has been mounted against companies for laying off people and/or not hiring over the last few years when they are sitting on a lot of cash.
The network is not doing well. Other than a recent interview that Oprah herself did with Whitney Houston's family it's getting very low ratings.

"The Rosie Show" which airs on OWN has just been cancelled.

Oprah in this case in the CEO, and just like Warner Bros and Sony Pictures, when things slow down layoffs occur.

People who work in that industry know the risks. But most of them will tell you they enjoy the work and know their jobs come and go.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:59 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,037,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
We don't watch that much TV, but i'm pretty sure none of us could actually find the OWN network if we tried. I don't recall ever seeing it when skipping through channels. Does it exist? LOL....If so, where? Perhaps that's why viewers don't watch it? Or maybe i'm dense? lol
That is why Air America folded - people don't want to listen or watch liberal talk shows. If they want liberal commentary and reporting all they have to do is turn on any of the legacy network news programs or pick up a major newspaper. The talk shows that get supported are conservative programs - because they offer an alternative to the MSM. The liberals hate that conservative messages are getting across - but what can they do? They tried to play in the free market and lost. Could it be because their message stinks - and is as entertaining as watching a bug crawl on a log??

Old 03-22-2012, 08:23 PM

1,182 posts, read 1,140,999 times
Maybe people are just tired of her. She has been on TV for what- 30 years now? Everything has a lifespan. As a person she is fine but she reminds me of some retired in place people that just hold on and on and on long after their time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies