Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 09:03 PM

2,072 posts, read 1,759,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Are you still upset a hispanic man moved in down the road to your house?

As for the article, I would say the superintendent jumped the gun on this, but I can see how chanting USA towards a group of Mexican-Americans can be racist when it is used in that context. Whether or not this was that kind of context is pushing it, though it makes more sense to chant for your team when you are rooting them on.

I know when I go to games I tend to root and chant for the team I support seeing the team they are playing against is also from the USA, therefore it would make no sense to chant for both teams.
A hispanic dude moved in near me? Hm. Must have missed that one.Better go get my robe and cross lighting materials. Get a life kid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 09:05 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,242,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelYell14 View Post
A hispanic dude moved in near me? Hm. Must have missed that one.Better go get my robe and cross lighting materials. Get a life kid.
Oh I am sure you keep your whites nicely pressed.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:16 PM

2,072 posts, read 1,759,192 times
You really don't get sarcasm do you? Man such dry humor....

Old 02-13-2013, 09:17 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,354,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Army Soldier View Post
I thought these Mexicans that already live here are proud of this country and love our patriotism? Well I guess not. This is flat out wrong what the school administrators did. This anti-Americanism by Mexican Americans is getting worse. I mean if they can't stand being pro American and show love for America only then why don't they migrate to Mexico? This is nothing but unappreciative people who have been corrupted by liberal political correctness. I can't believe people are now being silenced for showing love for their country.

Camarillo H.S. Students Chant "U.S.A." - YouTube

Students Told to Remove Patriotic Bandanas | FOX News & Commentary: Todd Starnes

A group of students at a California high school basketball game were told to remove patriotic bandanas and stop chanting “USA, USA” because school administrators wanted to be sensitive to other spectators. (Which were Mexican-Americans)

The superintendent believes this is a “teachable moment” for the entire school.

“We wanted to make sure whatever was being cheered was appropriate,” he said. “We are responding to a global issue in terms of how students should be respecting the other school.”

“They have to respect everyone,” he said. “When you go to a game – you cheer for your team and you don’t make any derogatory comments or make inappropriate comments toward the other team.”

And while the students involved in the incident said they are very patriotic, the superintendent offered this word of caution:

“We have a very diverse student body in the district,” he said.

This is insane. The administrator should realize that students (and spectators) from the other high school team were Americans also. Mexican Americans maybe but never the less..........Americans.

You do realize that all of the students in the group that was asked to leave the game, were Hispanics, and that both schools have a large mexican-american student body. (Camarillo High’s is 41 percent Hispanic, while Rio Mesa’s is 67 percent Hispanic)

Nothing to see here folks.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:22 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,195,079 times
Just plain ignorant and racial. They weren't playing an international team.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:59 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,533,310 times
Search: "Kat Williams Mexico" on YouTube, watch the video and notice how the Mexican-Americans cheer on Kat when Kat is defending America.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:46 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,470,091 times
Wow then things sure have changed out here, since my adult children went to school. I don't get it , when my kids were in High School, there were all races, that attended.

At the games even hispanics, were routing for their team and chants of USA on occasion, was appropriate and acceptable at that time.

I sometimes feel that the School's seem to have more of a problem with this, then the students. So when is chanting USA something bad, if they do not see and feel pride in those words USA, then the school has a problem.

My kids had plenty of hispanic friends, who felt as american as my kids, and they were born in this Country.

We are changing this Country, and not for the better, if this kind of stuff is happening now. 5 more years, we will not even be able to utter those words USA. And all of us will be partly responsible for letting this happen.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:59 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,435,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
this happen about a year ago here at a highschool basketball semi playoff game. An affluent school played an school with a majority hispanic kids. All were American kids and no anomosity existed between the schools or teams.

It was a hard fought game with the affluent team winning. the kids met at the center of the court, shook hands and were on there way to the locker rooms...when kids in the stands on the affluents teams side started chanting USA USA USA...everybody went on their way. The story got out and the news media got ahold of the story. Then the bruhaha started.

The hispanic kids didnt make a fuss, the parents in the stands didnt make a fuss...but everybody else[that were not there] made comments that the affluent kids did it as a sign of disrespect to the hispanic kids...and was racial slam.

Seems to me...if both teams are American kids why would the non-hispanic kids need to cheer USA USA?
Where is the non-USA team?

maybe this is a teachable moment...When your oppnent is other than USA team, then have at it.
If the two teams were all-white, would there have been random "USA USA USA" chants after the game?

Highly doubtful.

Old 02-14-2013, 02:19 AM

198 posts, read 167,868 times
see, they haven't even gotten rid of the guns yet and already going after 1st amendment freedom of speech rights. And people say it can never happen.

Old 02-14-2013, 02:34 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,955,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basic Problem View Post
see, they haven't even gotten rid of the guns yet and already going after 1st amendment freedom of speech rights. And people say it can never happen.
Students have never had uncheck freedom of speech.

Student newspapers are "editied" by the teacher advisor, with final say from the administration.

Your child has never had the right to wear an "offensive" t-shirt to school,

your child has always had to have any hand bill "ok ed" by the administration before passing out or posting.

My kids are long out of school, but ask yours what they are allowed to post on social media and if that has any consquences at school.

Its nice to have a romatic image of the one room school house, but those days are long gone...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies