Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2012, 02:51 PM

649 posts, read 1,135,323 times

Advertisements

If the white kids hate immigrants so much, they should "self-deport" to Europe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 02:53 PM

3,498 posts, read 2,225,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidArizona View Post
If the white kids hate immigrants so much, they should "self-deport" to Europe
Not immigrants, Hispanics. I"m not even sure the kids were immigrants. Immigrants from Latin America are not really into basketball, more like soccer.

Old 03-09-2012, 03:27 PM

649 posts, read 1,135,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
Not immigrants, Hispanics. I"m not even sure the kids were immigrants. Immigrants from Latin America are not really into basketball, more like soccer.
the second I read the story, I knew it was some racist bs. And there is page after page of people trying to spin it otherwise

Old 03-09-2012, 04:14 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,410,080 times
To be fair, I wouldn't call the whole lot of the kids who were chanting this racist, particularly due to the effect large groups can have on behavior (and the somewhat unclear way that the behavior itself IS racist). I would agree that saying the behavior was inappropriate would suffice; but in terms of keeping it from happening again, no. So we have to pinpoint the exact reason for calling it inappropriate. "Racist behavior" is both true and sufficient in getting proper results.

Old 03-10-2012, 03:43 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,766,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
Prove it. I don't believe it.
It was mentioned in the article, no way I can prove it, since it was not recorded.

Old 03-10-2012, 03:48 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,766,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkaos2 View Post
Yeah, that's what happens when you promote multiculturalism. Maybe if people were encouraged to assimilate into American culture rather than "celebrating diversity" then we wouldn't have people chanting USA at other Americans.

Not that I am defending the students who did it, I'm just saying it's kind of a problem of our own making. People don't bond over diversity. People bond over shared values and experiences. Used to be people were welcome to become Americans, but now they're welcome to come live in America while remaining culturally separate. It promotes balkanization.
I agree with this, I always liked the quote, ''When in Rome do as the do as the Romans do''

Old 03-10-2012, 04:29 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,488,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Thanks for solidifying my opinion that America has gone insane.
Chanting "USA" is not racist - no one is so stupid as to think that. It's a straw man argument. But you apparently don't have the ability to understand the context the situation in which those words were said. It's the context that really matters here, not the words themselves. I guess trying to explain it to you would be futile.

Old 03-10-2012, 04:32 AM

30,438 posts, read 52,106,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I guess you don't really think that a non-citizen who makes no effort to assimilate should be denied any of the good things in our Constitution. I truly believe that if one doesn't want to become a part of our nation he has no right to get all the Constitutional goodies that the rest of us get.

Do you go to the rallies by certain groups on Cinco de Mayo day? Do you carry one of their flags and shout their slogans with them? Do you really believe they deserve all the protections that citizens are guaranteed for behaving as they do? WOW just wow if you answer any of those questions, yes.
No to your irrelevant questions, but I didn't realize we were discussing illegal immigrants... did you see that word in my post?

Old 03-10-2012, 04:36 AM

30,438 posts, read 52,106,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
And many immigrants move here (legally and illegally) and don't see themselves as Americans.
So what? Honest question: If you moved to China tomorrow, would you refer to yourself as an American, Chinese, or maybe American-Chinese? First-generation immigrants often retain their old cultural/national identity, and it's typically not until the next generation where they become fully "assimilated."

Old 03-10-2012, 07:07 AM

4,443 posts, read 4,882,002 times
What happened at that school is no better than when members of the KKK march around waving the American flag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies