Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 08:08 PM

41,013 posts, read 49,608,158 times

Advertisements

I just took a shower. That makes Americans dirty minus one.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:42 PM

29,920 posts, read 39,619,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
Lol..."they". Aren't you a people too?
No. I'm a superior sentient bacteria that learned to clean up after myself and not become a littering machine that's so selfish I would use your own space to get rid of my trash.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:53 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,465,655 times
Filthy rich. Does that count?

Old 03-06-2012, 12:32 AM

20,416 posts, read 20,098,714 times
Quote:
MaryleeII;Why are Americans so dirty?
If a couple of TV programs caused you come to that conclusion, do yourself a afavor and stop watching TV.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:42 AM

61,254 posts, read 87,859,151 times
cleanliness is next to Godliness. does that explain it?

Old 03-06-2012, 01:58 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,407,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Americans are dirty?

I assume you've never used a squat and pee toilet in another country.
Squatters are more hygenic and better for the human body, though.

The form for the body is more natural and provides greater health benefits. One, in particular, is the instances of colon cancer are pretty much eliminated.

http://naturesplatform/health_benefits.html (broken link)
The natural way to sit on the toilet can help to heal constipation and hemorrhoids

Old 03-06-2012, 08:02 AM

18,348 posts, read 26,656,545 times
Well, would a TV show showing normal people with fairly clean houses sell?

On second thought, I better not give them any ideas, they're really scraping the bottom of the barrel with reality shows...

Old 03-06-2012, 08:06 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,540,372 times
"Why are Americans so dirty?"

I'll suggest that your fascination with dirt and dirty people hasn't afforded you time to stop and look around at the overwhelming majority of the country which doesn't fit your description.

Turn off the TV.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:54 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,709,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
I was about to post this under Why are Americans so Lazy? But figured this can be a stand-alone topic.

I find a rather sick fascination with those reality shows, about clean up this mess, etc. The hoarders series takes it to an extreme, then there's a few others about organizing homes, etc. And that show about restaurants? I forget the name, you know, the one where they hire the guy to help turn around a failing restaurant? and that one about the hair salons, with the tall, blonde lady who comes in as a consultant to help improve the salon?

They all have one thing in common----they are all filthy!After seeing the one about the restaurant, well.....we've been saving a lot not eating out lately! I mean, come on! I used to work in food service, we had so many rules, and had to pass a test to get a food handlers permit. Apparently, these people on the show never took such a course. Old, rotting food uncovered on the floor!Mold, old food covering much of the appliances, employees not washing their hands---yeech!

Oh beauty parlours, with moldy, dirty surfaces, etc. Last but not least, the haorders. I disagree its a mental illness, they are just lazy! Ok, some people have the hoarder disorder, but they don't have to be dirty about it. We have some friends, they have a 4-car garage stuffed with "collectibles" but its all clean, labeled, organized, and their house is clean.

No, my house isn't ready for the next issue of Good Housekeeping. But, it is hygenic. I doubt many even realize the meaning of that word!

Most of those haorders are simply lazy, and figure they get free help by allowing their mess to be on TV! Those trucks, Haul off your Junk, or whatever they're called, cost about $500 for a medium size, those shows use 5-10+. The worse show was where they found about 10 dead, mumified cats I guess they didn't notice the stink over their own
Agreed!!! Hoarders are dirty...
Why do the mass hate Martha Stewart so much when all her home keeping ideas are the back bone of what good housewives are???

Back to American being dirty...
I think one is best not to generalize all American as that... that is unfair to many good home keepers out there.

Have you seen mansions in china next to the chinese landfill yet???
Have you seen villages among the landfills and in order for the people to cross to the town, they have to walk across landfill????
How about the Ganges river in India???
Did anyone know the Mekong river is so bad any fish from the river is really not quite safe to eat... compare that to our own polluted gulf...
at least we tried cleaning up after a mess.

Compare the "try"
vs the "don't even try" or presume "ignorance" thus has the excuse... or since they lend us the money, so we shall not complain too loud in their face etc....

US has lost the idea on how spoiled & lucky we US people are...
With the backs of USDA, FDA, to guard our safety for food, restaurants etc.

We USA can probably be said to be one of the cleanest people in the world.

After all, we have invented many many gadgets & tools (Hess in Iowa invented Vacuum Cleaners, Washing Machines invented by James King, Josephine Garis Cochran invented the first useful dishwasher in Shelbyville, Illinois etc.) to help with the cleanup efforts.
We even have to pay the extra taxes to help with clean-up of our own environment (green efforts etc.) & also paying to help other countries clean up after their natural disasters (Haiti's earth quake / the Tsunami in Indonesia etc.).

Old 03-06-2012, 11:05 AM

24,813 posts, read 24,519,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Well, would a TV show showing normal people with fairly clean houses sell?

On second thought, I better not give them any ideas, they're really scraping the bottom of the barrel with reality shows...
Yeah, when you put them in outrageous situations.

Just look at the TV show "Shameless". Its supposed to be about a poor, south side Chicago family. Their house is pretty damned nice, but the situations they put themselves in, well.......

Weeds, countless other shows where people are living in far larger, and nicer, houses then they should ever be able to afford.

TV is fantasy, yes, there are people with psychological problems that hoard, but they are the exception, not the rule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies