Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 08:09 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,140,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
yes, but then thanks to the magic of credit expansion, y'all were able to get promoted, buy houses, watch those houses skyrocket in value -- et cetera, during the 80's and 90's. It was a totally different ballgame back then. Interest rates were high, and falling. Now we are mired in a liquidity trap that could last for decades.
.[/i]
Yea... we had it easy buying our first homes... We HAD to have 20% down, 13 1/4 % interest rate.. and gasp... we bought a home less than one years salary. It was a fixer-upper that we lived in for 10 years. We looked at one that cost two-years salary and couldn't afford it. So guess what.. we didn't buy it! And we sure didn't expect someone else to help us pay for it.... just saying....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 08:11 AM

1,438 posts, read 1,145,755 times
My first job was working at my grandparents farm, feeding horses, injecting medicine, slaughtering hogs and cows ect. I still do it, and I love it. When I was 10 my "payment" was riding the 4 wheeler, now that I'm 17 he pays me $75 a week. I also work at the feed store down the street and I make minimum wage.
My generation complains, and blames past generations for their problems. Fact is teens are lazy. I'm blessed to have jobs that I love, but most don't even look for work.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:13 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,287,361 times
match the amount of money the average 25 year old collects in govt aid versus the amount of money the average 65 year old tea party fool collects in aid.

End of thread

Old 02-22-2012, 08:13 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,161,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Yea... we had it easy buying our first homes... We HAD to have 20% down, 13 1/4 % interest rate.. and gasp... we bought a home less than one years salary. It was a fixer-upper that we lived in for 10 years. We looked at one that cost two-years salary and couldn't afford it. So guess what.. we didn't buy it! And we sure didn't expect someone else to help us pay for it.... just saying....
Housing interest rates were 18% (!) under Carter.

That was fun.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
match the amount of money the average 25 year old collects in govt aid versus the amount of money the average 65 year old tea party fool collects in aid.

End of thread
But ask the avg. 25-year-old how much he WANTS the government to give him and ask the 65-year-old the same question and I'll bet you'll see a big difference....

The thread goes on till eternity.....

Old 02-22-2012, 08:18 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Sadly it appears this is the generation that hands it all away.
I don't agree. As my DH and I listened to your link (which we rarely do when an OP lacks the eloquence to describe their own responses to what they read or listened to), his response was they were "over the top" and needed a sense of personal responsibility. While I do not argue with that statement, I do think it is encouraging that students understand that a certain baseline quality of life should be available to all citizens of our country.

There are too many barriers to the poor in this country, built by our prejudices against person's race, religion, cultures, and ethnicity. We even prejudge person's appearance and physical capacities. While I do not believe we should hand people their living, I do not believe we should bar them from the same privileges that any other citizen enjoys.

If you have had a chance to live among, go to school with, work beside, and share a table with the poor, as I have, you know that there are many circumstances in our country that impede their progress. Many are the offspring of generations of down-trodden, and lack the knowledge of what they can do to pull themselves up.

So, before you get to high up on the ladder of sanctimonious, self-righteousness, I ask you: what have you done to inform someone you know that is wants to do better, how that could be possible? I don't mean a mean-spirited hurl: "Get a job!" or "Go to school." I mean sitting down and talking about their specific options.

You might be surprised at what YOU learn.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:20 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,287,361 times
Quote:
But ask the avg. 25-year-old how much he WANTS the government to give him and ask the 65-year-old the same question and I'll bet you'll see a big difference....

The thread goes on till eternity.....
Who cares what people want. I want to want to win the lottery, aint gonna happen.

The 65 year old tea party fool collects a lot more than the 25 year old college student, yet the tea party fool calls the student leech.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I don't agree. As my DH and I listened to your link (which we rarely do when an OP lacks the eloquence to describe their own responses to what they read or listened to), his response was they were "over the top" and needed a sense of personal responsibility. While I do not argue with that statement, I do think it is encouraging that students understand that a certain baseline quality of life should be available to all citizens of our country.

There are too many barriers to the poor in this country, built by our prejudices against person's race, religion, cultures, and ethnicity. We even prejudge person's appearance and physical capacities. While I do not believe we should hand people their living, I do not believe we should bar them from the same privileges that any other citizen enjoys.

If you have had a chance to live among, go to school with, work beside, and share a table with the poor, as I have, you know that there are many circumstances in our country that impede their progress. Many are the offspring of generations of down-trodden, and lack the knowledge of what they can do to pull themselves up.

So, before you get to high up on the ladder of sanctimonious, self-righteousness, I ask you: what have you done to inform someone you know that is wants to do better, how that could be possible? I don't mean a mean-spirited hurl: "Get a job!" or "Go to school." I mean sitting down and talking about their specific options.

You might be surprised at what YOU learn.
While I don't disagree with your thinking... the big questions you have to ask yourself when talking about it... "Will they listen?" Young adults (and we did when we were that age too) think they can change the world for the better. They think they are indestructible. They think that mom and dad are stupid. So we give them our advice but it's not until they have enough life experience that they finally realize that mom and dad and some of their elders aren't quite as stupid as they thought. It's kind of gratifying when your kid finally owns up to it. I don't expect my kid to see everything the way I see it, but he knows the reason's I think the way I do.. and he has said, "oops mom... you were right."

I just think that that is what us "boomers" want. We want the youth of today to think for themselves. We want them to succeed. We want what is best for this country. And we want them to quit blaming everyone else for their problems. They are not facing anything that we didn't face. Some circumstances may have changed, but the problems are the same. The American Dream is still alive, and they can have it... but they are going to have to work for it just like we all did.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:33 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,722,558 times
Quote:
You dont appreciate how cheap housing was back then. The idea today that you could buy a home with one year's salary is a joke!

I wish rates were 20%. Then housing would have an upside. With ZIRP, housing is overcapitalized and has a huge downside.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
You dont appreciate how cheap housing was back then. The idea today that you could buy a home with one year's salary is a joke!

I wish rates were 20%. Then housing would have an upside. With ZIRP, housing is overcapitalized and has a huge downside.
I agree that housing is too high... but... since when did a FIRST home have to be a 3/2 on an acre in the burbs with granite counter tops and a media room?
When we bought our last place (about 3 years ago) we walked in to pre-qualify and they gave us the dollar amount they'd loan us... we laughed in their face. No way were we going to borrow that amount of money. We bought.. 2 years worth of salary. Again... much, much, less... So it can still be done... Is it perfect no... but with a little more "sweat equity".. it will be.

You buy what you NEED... not what you WANT.. or you don't buy..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies