Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 10:16 AM

774 posts, read 1,165,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Regarding my spelling, my brand new laptop that I had to purchase 3 weeks ago does not inform me of when a typo occurs in my paragraphs. The assisstant vs assistant thing was most likely an accidental extra pressing of the s button on the keyboard, but I'll admit that you got me on the averse and pursue. I don't interpret your mockery as picking on me or attempting to embarrass me, as you have done neither. I interpret it as you simply being a dick. Don't tell me to not be a wise-a$$ when you are being a much bigger one.

I don't know specifically what generation you belong to, but it is clearly not generation Y and you do not know what struggles recent college grads have had to endure through with this recession. Don't say "I've been there", because NO, you have very much not been there.

And as for this quote, "Get yourself together and stop bitching about your current situation", what the hell do you think I have been doing by applying to hundreds of jobs since graduation? I even packed up my entire life last month to move from a city with a very high unemployment rate to a city half way across the country that has a lower than average unemployment rate. I am trying to get myself together. I am together, in fact. My mental health is very much fine, and so are my finances for the time being.

And I will ***** on an open forum as much as I please, thank you. I also ***** about the job market when I am out with friends, but we usually ***** harmoniously, so it is not as much fun.
It's unfortunate you interpreted my advice as mocking you. The goal was to actually help you achieve your goal. Some call it constructive criticism, some call it tough love. You apparently call it being a dick and a wise-a$$. The point being that from the perspective of an experienced hiring manager, there are things you can do to further help yourself, thus the grammar issue being pointed out.

These next few statements may come off as condescending, but they're not meant to. They are facts of life.

I was born into the Baby Boom Generation. Given that you are 30 years my junior, you don't have any idea what struggles I have overcome. For that matter, you don't know what hurdles lie ahead for you. This is just one of many that you will face. Ten or fifteen years from now you will look back and see that you will have dealt with difficulties beyond what you are dealing with today. Just keep living.

I know it's tough getting a job in a bad economy. I also know that it can be tough getting a job in a good economy. Let me know when you start getting turned down for jobs and promotions simply because of the color of your skin. (Yes, I have been able to prove it, but I'm not going to get into that here). Let me know when you throw your hat in the ring for that new managerial slot that is about to open up but it goes to a guy who is INFINITELY LESS QUALIFIED than your are, and YOU are hands-down THE MOST QUALIFIED for the slot. But he gets the nod because somebody "promised" it to him 6 months prior if he just "hangs in there". Talk about adding insult to injury. That's "The Old Boys' Network" at its finest. So I say to you, "YES, I have very much been there, and then some". You have no idea.

I applaud your making sacrifices (relocating) to achieve your goal. If you go back and check, I never told you not to be a wise-a$$...I simply pointed out that being one is not going to get you a job. Being a wise-a$$ eventually poisons your attitude and breeds cynicism, two things that are not going to help you in the competitive job search environment you are dealing with.

I know very well what young college grads are dealing with. I have several of them in my family that I talk with on a regular basis and I hear their frustrations.

Again, I wish you the best in your endeavor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 01:28 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,149,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloRoller View Post
It's unfortunate you interpreted my advice as mocking you. The goal was to actually help you achieve your goal. Some call it constructive criticism, some call it tough love. You apparently call it being a dick and a wise-a$$. The point being that from the perspective of an experienced hiring manager, there are things you can do to further help yourself, thus the grammar issue being pointed out.

These next few statements may come off as condescending, but they're not meant to. They are facts of life.

I was born into the Baby Boom Generation. Given that you are 30 years my junior, you don't have any idea what struggles I have overcome. For that matter, you don't know what hurdles lie ahead for you. This is just one of many that you will face. Ten or fifteen years from now you will look back and see that you will have dealt with difficulties beyond what you are dealing with today. Just keep living.

I know it's tough getting a job in a bad economy. I also know that it can be tough getting a job in a good economy. Let me know when you start getting turned down for jobs and promotions simply because of the color of your skin. (Yes, I have been able to prove it, but I'm not going to get into that here). Let me know when you throw your hat in the ring for that new managerial slot that is about to open up but it goes to a guy who is INFINITELY LESS QUALIFIED than your are, and YOU are hands-down THE MOST QUALIFIED for the slot. But he gets the nod because somebody "promised" it to him 6 months prior if he just "hangs in there". Talk about adding insult to injury. That's "The Old Boys' Network" at its finest. So I say to you, "YES, I have very much been there, and then some". You have no idea.

I applaud your making sacrifices (relocating) to achieve your goal. If you go back and check, I never told you not to be a wise-a$$...I simply pointed out that being one is not going to get you a job. Being a wise-a$$ eventually poisons your attitude and breeds cynicism, two things that are not going to help you in the competitive job search environment you are dealing with.

I know very well what young college grads are dealing with. I have several of them in my family that I talk with on a regular basis and I hear their frustrations.

Again, I wish you the best in your endeavor.
Tried to rep you again, but it wouldn't let me. A very wise post!

Old 02-27-2012, 10:17 PM

3,542 posts, read 3,743,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
When I was growing up, we were all told that you had to have your high school diploma to get anywhere in life ... and it was pretty much true. Have a college degree ... and your way was nicely paved ... have a degree from a top school ... your success was virtually guaranteed. But today? The BA degree (any discipline) is yesterday's high school diploma ... and an AA degree is akin to passing a High School Equivalency exam. That's just the reality of the situation. And that is what is drummed into the heads of kids starting very early on in junior high .... got to make great grades if you want to be accepted at a good school ... and you HAVE TO go to college if you want any type of real profession in life.

So, we tell these kids that you have to go to college to make it in this world today ... and before they even get out into the real economy, they have already accumulated half a mortgage payment of debt with nothing to show for it but a transcript and a bag full of empty promises. And you wonder why they are copping an attitude? I'll tell you ... even with all of the BS jammed into their heads ... they are beginning to see the writing on the wall ... they see the experienced, older adults around them losing jobs and having to take lesser paying jobs to make ends meet ... they see the gangsters on wall street receiving multimillion dollar bonuses as a reward for bankrupting the financial institution they were running, and the Billions in bail outs being tossed around like confetti ... and in spite of the dumbing down that has been inflicted upon them (while being charged out the wazoo for it) they aren't so stupid as to not recognize that red white and blue object that's been rammed you know where.
Although I won't quote your post #172 in its entirety, there is a lot of truth in your statements. And not only that, very early in my working life, I got to witness those very same adults, the ones who repeatedly told me to get an education, and who had one themselves (some of them professional degrees), get subsequently laid off or outright fired. A degree was supposed to lead to a steady job, or so we were told. As it turns out, no position is truly safe.

One thing I would add about the societal and economic mess in which we find ourselves is that we can't go on about it forever. We just have to be smarter and more adaptable previous generations. It's going to be hard for many to participate, however, and I'm not sure how you fix that. It doesn't take 100 bodies to do a task that can now be done with less than a handful or with a machine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies