Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 03:20 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,284,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Here in Houston, my coworker and his wife lived in a 3 bedroom apartment with their two children despite making around 150k a year. I want to say the 3 bedroom apartment with utlities was 1200 a month. It wasn't a bad place, but definitely well below their means.

One is in college now and the other is a senior. The eldest gets about 50 percent of his college paid for through scholarships and such. The younger one is going to attend University of Texas without any help. Guess what? No biggy to his parents as they have socked away enough to pay for college for four children (just in case they had more) tons of money for retirement and a nice down payment on a house for each child.

I think that's kind of how it is going to be now. More and more college educated professional married couples will forego the house.
Then they are doing something wrong because my brother and his wife make 120 live in a 3000 square foot house with 4 kids .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 04:00 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Capitalism killed the single parent family. Not feminism.

Very few areas of the country are affordable enough for families to make it on one income. Gone are the days of dad working a strong union job with good benefits and a guaranteed pension.

These days, mom might have to get a job because dad's job doesn't offer affordable health insurance for the whole family (know at least two couples where teacher-moms who would prefer to stay home have to work because healthcare costs would be prohibitively expensive otherwise). Or, two incomes are necessary because stagnant wages that haven't kept up with inflation prevent saving for college, etc.

Old 02-19-2012, 04:21 PM

3,078 posts, read 4,376,187 times
I can't say that any of this applies to me.

I got a PhD in engineering, became a professor, have had a great career. Were it not for feminists who fought against the conservative opinion that women should be mommies and stay home I might be married to an unemployed machinist now instead of a consultant.

Bad old days? No thanks!

Old 02-19-2012, 04:24 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Here in Houston, my coworker and his wife lived in a 3 bedroom apartment with their two children despite making around 150k a year. I want to say the 3 bedroom apartment with utlities was 1200 a month. It wasn't a bad place, but definitely well below their means.

One is in college now and the other is a senior. The eldest gets about 50 percent of his college paid for through scholarships and such. The younger one is going to attend University of Texas without any help. Guess what? No biggy to his parents as they have socked away enough to pay for college for four children (just in case they had more) tons of money for retirement and a nice down payment on a house for each child.

I think that's kind of how it is going to be now. More and more college educated professional married couples will forego the house.
Definitely.

The real estate bubble was to home ownership what the AIDS epidemic was to promiscuous gay sex. Many people will do it anyways, but a great number of people have gotten scared enough that they became very hesitant to do it. That's why any improvement in the RE market has been in the area of multifamily housing and rental properties.

Old 02-19-2012, 04:31 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,058,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
[MOD CUT]

In terms of the paradox, there might be any number of reasons. You've put forward that feminism is at fault. The economists who did the research didn't put forward any explanations. Unless you have your own data showing that feminism is the cause, you shouldn't put forward that explanation.
The OP does have a point.

Old 02-19-2012, 04:58 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,607,531 times
This song encapsulates the feminist angst of many women today: they want real men, they need real men, they resent real men, they hate real men.

Paula Cole-where have all the cowboys, lyrcis - YouTube

Old 02-19-2012, 05:00 PM

770 posts, read 1,177,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
This song encapsulates the feminist angst of many women today: they want real men, they need real men, they resent real men, they hate real men.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you for real?!?!?!

Old 02-19-2012, 05:01 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,058,246 times
Quote:

I would have to say that they resent normal, real men. But they love gay, feminized, self-hating men.

Old 02-19-2012, 05:05 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,607,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
I would have to say that they resent normal, real men. But they love gay, feminized, self-hating men.
Sorry, can't rep you again, but that about sums it up.

Old 02-19-2012, 05:11 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Quote:

That song sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies