Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 06:46 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,161,420 times

Advertisements

Taxation on US military pay is interesting, in combat zones no income tax applies but back in the USA income tax does apply.

But here is the interesting part, my nephew a US Marine Officer pays a higher rate of income tax on his pay in the USA than Romney does.

Now I see US conservatives posting how the US military should be honoured, but it seems that those who are wealthy with no military service should be honoured even more with a year round low taxation rate.
Yes, rather a strange tax system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 06:50 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,991,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
Taxation on US military pay is interesting, in combat zones no income tax applies but back in the USA income tax does apply.

But here is the interesting part, my nephew a US Marine Officer pays a higher rate of income tax on his pay in the USA than Romney does.

Now I see US conservatives posting how the US military should be honoured, but it seems that those who are wealthy with no military service should be honoured even more with a year round low taxation rate.
Conservatives protect a tax system where rich elites can legally evade paying their fair share in taxes. They'll never admit it but they worship rich elites far more than some no-name marine.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:58 PM

45,250 posts, read 26,493,925 times
Let him get out of the military if he doesn't like it. My taxes are high because i have to pay people like him who enlist to protect America's corporate interests abroad. He is doing nothing to insure my safety and I'm stuck feeding him, clothing him, housing him, paying for his travel, providing for his health care and educating him.
He is a tax feeder himself, ironic to complain about it.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:59 PM

46,323 posts, read 27,157,406 times
If romney was getting paid, he would pay the same as your officer.....if your officer was making money on the interest he made of what he ALREADY paid taxes on...he would be paying the same....

But no leftist will ever agree with that....

I'll be glad when someone can actually tell me what their fair share is? Was it the 6 million+ that romney paid towards taxes......and charity, combined?

Old 02-13-2012, 07:00 PM

46,323 posts, read 27,157,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Let him get out of the military if he doesn't like it. My taxes are high because i have to pay people like him who enlist to protect America's corporate interests abroad. He is doing nothing to insure my safety and I'm stuck feeding him, clothing him, housing him, paying for his travel, providing for his health care and educating him.
Hahahahaha...you do realize people in the military pay taxes...right....so they are paying their own pay....

Old 02-13-2012, 07:04 PM

45,250 posts, read 26,493,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Hahahahaha...you do realize people in the military pay taxes...right....so they are paying their own pay....
Sorry a quick crunch of the numbers shows that government workers do not pay their own way.
you aren't one those people who believes the govt has its own money are you?

Old 02-13-2012, 07:04 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,064,517 times
Quote:

Romney is a job creator so he gets to pay less in taxes, while your nephew just puts his life on the line for all of us.

(It is parody of GOP talking points, I have vast respect for all service personnel)

Old 02-13-2012, 07:07 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,991,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
No kidding.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:08 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,265,595 times
Quote:

First, while your nephew may be in a higher marginal bracket than 15%, I seriously doubt the income tax he pays as a portion of his income exceeds 15% Second, how much of his income was taxed at the 35% corporate rate before it was passed on to him and taxed again, and how much of his income was eroded by inflation before he cashed in on its value?

Old 02-13-2012, 07:43 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,111,704 times
Default Taxation on US military pay

Quote:

You will find that anyone who is working in Iraq, and living in Iraq does not have to pay tax on the money they make while out of the country, if they are absent long enough, that doesn't apply to just service men. But military personnel that live state side have to pay taxes just like the rest of us. You would be surprised if you knew how many of Obama's cabinet members are either behind on their taxes, or not paying taxes. But none of us can do anything about the government elite who seem to be above the law. One term in office and they have a lifetime income. No social security is held out of their pay, and they aren't under the same healthcare program the rest of us are. Doesn't sound fair to me, but there is nothing any of us can do to fix it, voting won't help unless we vote them all out of office and start over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies