Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2012, 08:23 AM

4,421 posts, read 6,301,615 times

Advertisements

When will Republican bigots realize that this will NOT go away? Straight people do not deserve special rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 08:25 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,226,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
In reference to the bolded part -

What? Why on Earth would you assume that only white gays feel this way and not any of the minority homosexuals (to include blacks) don't share that opinion?

The reason they draw parallels is pretty obvious and, IMO, pretty accurate.

In both cases the people in question were being denied access to marry who they loved based on an attribute that they, ostensibly, had no control over. Moreover, there was no solid legal basis to deny it to the parties in question, other than majority "didn't like the idea".

You honestly don't see the correlation?
The gays that I know who use the "black card" are white. No black gay person that I know uses the IR/Civil Rights Movement argument in why they want to get married. They simply say "We should be able to marry who we want". Therein lies the difference. Why do white gays feel the need to reference IR/Civil Rights movement?

And, no I don't see the parallel at all. IR marriage did not redefine marriage (between a man and a woman). I see absolutely no correlation between the two.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:27 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,226,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
When will Republican bigots realize that this will NOT go away? Straight people do not deserve special rights.
Why do you assume that those who oppose gay marriage are Republicans? And bigots?

Old 02-08-2012, 08:29 AM

28,336 posts, read 16,513,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
The gays that I know who use the "black card" are white. No black gay person that I know uses the IR/Civil Rights Movement argument in why they want to get married. They simply say "We should be able to marry who we want". Therein lies the difference. Why do white gays feel the need to reference IR/Civil Rights movement?

And, no I don't see the parallel at all. IR marriage did not redefine marriage (between a man and a woman). I see absolutely no correlation between the two.

What makes the "definition" of marriage so sacred? Why on Earth can or should it not be "redifined"?

Who is in charge of the "definition" of marriage, anyway?

Old 02-08-2012, 08:30 AM

28,336 posts, read 16,513,092 times
Quote:
Why do you assume that those who oppose gay marriage are Republicans? And bigots?

Because the vast majority of them seem to be? Bigots, certainly, if not Republicans....

Old 02-08-2012, 08:31 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,870,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
To my knowledge, laws against sex discrimination refer to male vs female discrimination. Other laws apply to sexual orientation, and again to my knowledge, federal laws don't apply, nor do laws in most states.

I'd say DOMA, until it's ruled unconstitutional, is pretty good evidence that ssm isn't Now a 'civil' right. Add to DOMA, court cases that conflict with the 9th circuit and the statement that ssm Is a civil right amounts to hopeful thinking.
But the CA court had already ruled that it was a right in CA. Which is why this current ruling can be argued doesn't apply nationally. The federal equal protection law requires each state to treat its citizen equally. Prop 8 setup an unequal standard in CA.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:34 AM

14,916 posts, read 13,158,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
What makes the "definition" of marriage so sacred? Why on Earth can or should it not be "redifined"?

Who is in charge of the "definition" of marriage, anyway?
God

Old 02-08-2012, 08:36 AM

2,836 posts, read 3,509,786 times
Marriage is defined by state (not federal) law.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:38 AM

14,916 posts, read 13,158,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Phillips View Post
Marriage is defined by state (not federal) law.
Marriage is defined by God. It's not up to states to redefine it.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:38 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,870,660 times
Quote:

You may not know her, but blacks do use the IR/Civil Rights movement argument. Meet Bishop Flunder.

[Note: the audio doesn't start right away for some reason]
Bishop Yvette Flunder on Marriage Equality on Vimeo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies