Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2012, 07:05 PM

24,813 posts, read 24,554,891 times

Advertisements

The courts decision makes perfect sense.

If homosexuals can have every right under marriage by the state, except for the name "marriage" that is a violation of their civil rights.

Going to the Supreme court. The federal government shouldn't have any say in marriage, it shouldn't acknowledge any of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 07:11 PM

30,591 posts, read 52,326,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Scates View Post
Looks like the only person who knows what they are talking about in this thread is pghquest.
Maybe in your mind, but those of us with a non-biased sense of logic would tend to disagree... keep patting yourselves on the back, though, if it gets you through the day.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:14 PM

30,591 posts, read 52,326,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galore View Post
So what's the big deal?

For the life of me I cannot understand why people like you get so worked up over this.

It doesn't affect you, you don't lose anything tangible but gays gain a lot. So it's a win, no lose situation. Are you that bitter that you don't want other people to pursue life, liberty and happiness?
I know, right? That's what I don't understand either! I am not personally affected by this law, and it doesn't bother me at all... why on earth WOULD it matter to me/us, if some other happy couple is allowed to marry? I'm beginning to think it's merely an issue of stubbornness, and refusal to admit they are wrong - because there's no other reason to oppose this issue, in terms of logic and law. Silly.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:22 PM

41,325 posts, read 45,201,827 times
» 9th Circuit holds Prop. 8 violates 14th Amendment - Le·gal In·sur·rec·tion

Quote:
The Court essentially used a bootstrap argument — that since there was a prior right to samesex marriage (based on a California Supreme Court decision which gave rise to Prop. 8 ) — the taking away of that right without justification violated the 14th Amendment. Judge N.R. Smith filed a 39 page dissent from this finding.
Judge Walker should have NEVER been allowed to hear the case in the first place.

How he got away with holding a trial on the intentions and mental state of the proponents is beyond me.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:36 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,595,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
The 9th Circuit does not merely get overturned but a lot of the times their unanimous decisions get overturned unanimously.
Are you suggesting that this court's decision has a better chance of not being overturned since the ruling was not unanimous?

Old 02-07-2012, 07:48 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,608,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Judge Walker should have NEVER been allowed to hear the case in the first place.

How he got away with holding a trial on the intentions and mental state of the proponents is beyond me.
Well if Judge Walker shouldn't have been allowed to hear the case, neither should a heterosexual be allowed to hear the case. They have an inherent bias as well.

Anyone know of an asexual judge or maybe a eunuch who could hear the case?

Old 02-07-2012, 08:02 PM

662 posts, read 1,292,588 times
Quote:

Every single argument they had against gay marriage was effectively shot down. Did you read the transcript? This is why they are in so much fear of the tapes being release. Opponents of gay marriage simply have no foot to stand on because their whole argument is a nonsensical defense of prejudice.

The fact that prop H8ers think Walker should have been removed from the case just illustrates the deep-seated prejudice against gays. Apparently they feel a heterosexual judge as opposed to a gay judge is the only one capable of being fair on issues of marriage. As if only men should rule on issues of women's rights and only whites should preside over issues of minority rights. Talk about being blind to your own hypocrisy.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:03 PM

779 posts, read 540,551 times
Quote:

So if a heterosexual judge was presiding he'd have been automatically biased against gay marriage? Or is it just gays who are "automatically biased" due to their sexual orientation?

Old 02-07-2012, 08:13 PM

662 posts, read 1,292,588 times
Being White is not being colorless while everyone else is colored. Being Male is not being genderless. And being Hetero is not being absent of sexuality. The status quo is not to be confused with impartiality. EVERYONE belongs to a partial group. Gay marriage foes can't see that.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:20 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,546,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtran103 View Post
Every single argument they had against gay marriage was effectively shot down. Did you read the transcript? This is why they are in so much fear of the tapes being release. Opponents of gay marriage simply have no foot to stand on because their whole argument is a nonsensical defense of prejudice.

The fact that prop H8ers think Walker should have been removed from the case just illustrates the deep-seated prejudice against gays. Apparently they feel a heterosexual judge as opposed to a gay judge is the only one capable of being fair on issues of marriage. As if only men should rule on issues of women's rights and only whites should preside over issues of minority rights. Talk about being blind to your own hypocrisy.
Fascinating and yet one of the three disagreed. It'll be overturned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies