Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 09:02 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,642,299 times

Advertisements

We should pay teachers very well and expect expert teaching skills, above average morality and behavior inside and outside of the classroom. I think they should be held to a higher standard than most as long as they know it when they enter the field, shouldn't be a problem. They are dealing with our children. What parent in their right mind would want this woman responsible for the care and teaching of their child? And she can't be fired. I agree with Romney, I like being able to fire people, who clearly should be fired.

"A New York teacher fired for posting snarky online comments suggesting her unruly students should drown can go back to the classroom, a judge ruled"

"After today, I'm thinking the beach sounds like a wonderful idea for my 5th graders. I HATE THEIR GUTS! They are all the devils spawn!" Rubino wrote on Facebook on June 23, 2010.
She made the remarks one day after a 12-year-old Harlem girl, Nicole Suriel, drowned on a school trip to a Long Island beach.
When a Facebook friend asked, "oh you would let little Kwame float away!" Rubino posted in reply, "Yes, I wld not throw a life jacket in for a million!!"

Read more: Snarky Facebook Comments No Reason To Fire Teacher, Judge Rules | Fox News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 09:09 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,309,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
We should pay teachers very well and expect expert teaching skills, above average morality and behavior inside and outside of the classroom. I think they should be held to a higher standard than most as long as they know it when they enter the field, shouldn't be a problem. They are dealing with our children. What parent in their right mind would want this woman responsible for the care and teaching of their child? And she can't be fired. I agree with Romney, I like being able to fire people, who clearly should be fired.

"A New York teacher fired for posting snarky online comments suggesting her unruly students should drown can go back to the classroom, a judge ruled"

"After today, I'm thinking the beach sounds like a wonderful idea for my 5th graders. I HATE THEIR GUTS! They are all the devils spawn!" Rubino wrote on Facebook on June 23, 2010.
She made the remarks one day after a 12-year-old Harlem girl, Nicole Suriel, drowned on a school trip to a Long Island beach.
When a Facebook friend asked, "oh you would let little Kwame float away!" Rubino posted in reply, "Yes, I wld not throw a life jacket in for a million!!"

Read more: Snarky Facebook Comments No Reason To Fire Teacher, Judge Rules | Fox News
As an old school teacher (1958 - 1986) I have to agree with all you say there doc. My wife just retired because she saw herself as too "old school" and unable to deal with too many of the newer people in her school. They tend to be totally unethical as that woman in your link was. Fire every damned one of that kind would be my answer.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:11 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,493,769 times
Quote:

The teacher was fired.

The court overruled the termination.

[unions? local control? what?]

Old 02-05-2012, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post

The teacher was fired.

The court overruled the termination.

[unions? local control? what?]
So why can't a school fire a teacher like this? What law says employers can't fire unfit employees? This was not discrimination. Why shouldn't a school be able to fire any teacher who is deemed unfit by those who utilize their services? Sorry, but I am livid. How would you like to have your child being taken and supervised by this "teacher" on the next field trip or even in the classroom on a daily basis. What is wrong with the system?

Old 02-05-2012, 09:23 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,493,769 times
Quote:
So why can't a school fire a teacher like this? What law says employers can't fire unfit employees? This was not discrimination. Why shouldn't a school be able to fire any teacher who is deemed unfit by those who utilize their services? Sorry, but I am livid. How would you like to have your child being taken and supervised by this "teacher" on the next field trip or even in the classroom on a daily basis. What is wrong with the system?
The teacher is an xxxhole but what she does on her off time is beyond government control provided whatever she is doing is legal. As it should be.

[what kind of government do you want, comrade? Thought police?]

Last edited by MIKEETC; 02-05-2012 at 09:33 PM.. Reason: he to she, his to her

Old 02-05-2012, 09:54 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,309,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
The teacher is an xxxhole but what she does on her off time is beyond government control provided whatever she is doing is legal. As it should be.

[what kind of government do you want, comrade? Thought police?]
The things that woman said on Facebook were totally unethical for a teacher to say out in public. Maybe she should have gone to someone in the administrative level and told her stories but making that kind of noises about kids in public is just too unethical for me.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:10 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,021,447 times
But you do have control over your schools; you vote for the Superintendent of Schools and your local school board. Any concerns one might have can be addressed with them, as well as with principals and individual teachers. President Obama has suggested merit-based pay, which isn't a popular idea with teachers' unions. He also wants to make it easier to fire teachers who aren't competent. I'm not clear re the attack on unions, when the teacher was fired and a judge overruled the district.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
But you do have control over your schools; you vote for the Superintendent of Schools and your local school board. Any concerns one might have can be addressed with them, as well as with principals and individual teachers. President Obama has suggested merit-based pay, which isn't a popular idea with teachers' unions. He also wants to make it easier to fire teachers who aren't competent. I'm not clear re the attack on unions, when the teacher was fired and a judge overruled the district.
Well, maybe what we need to do is privatize the schools or at least provide school choice. Why should anyone be forced to send their child to be under the care of any horrid teacher who for whatever reason, can't be fired? I wouldn't be sending my child back to that classroom. Unfortunately, the poor families, who can't afford to send their child to private school or homeschool will be forced to do just that. Something is NOT right. Teachers should be held to a higher standard and not given Union protection or blanket free speech protection. Sorry, the children are the ones who need the protection.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:10 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,021,447 times
Quote:
Well, maybe what we need to do is privatize the schools or at least provide school choice. Why should anyone be forced to send their child to be under the care of any horrid teacher who for whatever reason, can't be fired? I wouldn't be sending my child back to that classroom. Unfortunately, the poor families, who can't afford to send their child to private school or homeschool will be forced to do just that. Something is NOT right. Teachers should be held to a higher standard and not given Union protection or blanket free speech protection. Sorry, the children are the ones who need the protection.

Schools aren't businesses; our nation's adoption of public schools for everyone was quite radical for its time. I agree with you regarding incompetent teachers, but belonging to a union doesn't guarantee that a teacher whose students are doing poorly will be given blanket protection by said union; teachers who stay abreast in their field and do well don't want to be tarred with the same brush as inferior teachers. Again, I'd say that merit-based pay and the expulsion of ineffective teachers would go a long way toward improving public school education.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
Schools aren't businesses; our nation's adoption of public schools for everyone was quite radical for its time. I agree with you regarding incompetent teachers, but belonging to a union doesn't guarantee that a teacher whose students are doing poorly will be given blanket protection by said union; teachers who stay abreast in their field and do well don't want to be tarred with the same brush as inferior teachers. Again, I'd say that merit-based pay and the expulsion of ineffective teachers would go a long way toward improving public school education.
And how do we get rid of teachers like this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies