Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 11:19 PM

16,427 posts, read 22,306,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
I'm not clear re the attack on unions, when the teacher was fired and a judge overruled the district.
Question: was this judge appointed or elected? If elected, remember this ruling come election time. If appointed, same thing for the person that appointed that judge. Vote them out. Use our power of election to get rid of these kind of people in government and the judiciary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 11:24 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,037,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
And how do we get rid of teachers like this?

They get a pink slip for not being a successful educator; if the situation is very clear and egregious, the union involved will not back the teacher. It's the same way that teachers who behave inappropriately in the classroom or a coach who can't choose and instruct a team are fired.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:32 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,650,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
They get a pink slip for not being a successful educator; if the situation is very clear and egregious, the union involved will not back the teacher. It's the same way that teachers who behave inappropriately in the classroom or a coach who can't choose and instruct a team are fired.
And now this one will be back in the classroom. Why? I guess a Judge determined she had the right to speak freely on her own time. I think teachers should be held to a higher standard. If a doctor posted something like that on a web site, saying he hated all his patients' guts and wouldn't toss one a defibrillator if they were having a heart attack, I would imagine the hospital he or she worked for would be rightly allowed to fire that doctor. Why shouldn't we be able to freely do the same thing with teachers?

Old 02-05-2012, 11:39 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,568,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
The things that woman said on Facebook were totally unethical for a teacher to say out in public. Maybe she should have gone to someone in the administrative level and told her stories but making that kind of noises about kids in public is just too unethical for me.
Perhaps. But since we are not living in a totalitarian state that you and I would reject (fortunately) she is free to have the thoughts she has/had no matter how repulsive.

[the 1st amendment - it is what it is]

Old 02-05-2012, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Perhaps. But since we are not living in a totalitarian state that you and I would reject (fortunately) she is free to have the thoughts she has/had no matter how repulsive.

[the 1st amendment - it is what it is]
What if schools were privatized? Then do you think she would have the right to say anything she wanted and not be able to be fired? What about a doctor? What if a doctor posted similar rants about his patients, saying he hated their guts and wouldn't throw them a defibrillator if they were having a heart attack? Wouldn't the hospital he worked for have the right to fire him? Where are the employers' rights to fire employees who are deemed repulsive and scary to their customers, patients, students? Or is this special protection for teachers? Why?

Old 02-05-2012, 11:51 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,037,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
And now this one will be back in the classroom. Why? I guess a Judge determined she had the right to speak freely on her own time. I think teachers should be held to a higher standard. If a doctor posted something like that on a web site, saying he hated all his patients' guts and wouldn't toss one a defibrillator if they were having a heart attack, I would imagine the hospital he or she worked for would be rightly allowed to fire that doctor. Why shouldn't we be able to freely do the same thing with teachers?
Your argument is with the judge, as apparently the district fired her and the union that she belonged to didn't fight it. I agree wholeheartedly that our teachers should be held to a high standard. Teachers are fired for not
performing well, and it may be that they never become tenured to begin with. Yes, she'll be back in the classroom, but she's lost the trust and respect from her district officials, her fellow teachers, her union and parents who will insist that their child be put in a different classroom. Chances are that she won't remain a teacher for long, despite the judge's ruling. It takes only one good teacher to inspire students, and only one bad one to ruin one's attitude toward education. Neither unions nor other teachers want poor ones working with them.

Old 02-06-2012, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Question: was this judge appointed or elected? If elected, remember this ruling come election time. If appointed, same thing for the person that appointed that judge. Vote them out. Use our power of election to get rid of these kind of people in government and the judiciary.
I agree with you on that and I think too many people don't do enough research on the Judges when they go to the polls. But, I think this problem goes beyond that solution.

I think the protection of our children is too important to leave them in the hands of a system that caters more to the rights of the adults who are protected by the government or by unions than the kids, themselves. This particular case of a teacher, whom I can't imagine any parent wanting to teach their child, remaining in the classroom, is especially repulsive but it by no means is an anomaly. Why is it so difficult to remove a bad teacher from the classroom? Why are teachers so protected? Unions as well as their Government Employee Status seem to be the two main reasons. I think it is time to privatize education. It would allow for the firing of bad teachers and it would create choice for parents and promote competition which encourages better performance.

We are forced to pay for public education and some parents are forced to turn over their children to the care of teachers, who just don't care and, in fact, sound dangerous. All of this, on top of a system that doesn't have a very good track record for actually educating our kids.

This is not meant to be a teacher bashing thread. Many teachers are wonderful and do their best to educate our kids within a bureaucratic wasteland. I have met many of them. But, why can't they work, like many others, within the private sector, where competition will weed out the unfit ones and reward the good ones?

Old 02-06-2012, 03:55 PM

45,952 posts, read 61,437,303 times
She's definitely principal material. Expect her to start interning this Spring and have her own school come January.

And yes, I'm being cynical. I've also seen similar actions ending up leading to propmotion too many times in 28 years. Including the music teacher diddling his church choir girls and being promoted out of the classroom in his teaching job.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:59 PM

2,409 posts, read 3,053,237 times
Public education is a microcosm of exactly where the US is headed. Overbearing, do nothing, limp wristed, inefficient, lack of discipline, unaccountable, irresponsible, bloated, corrupt, tyrannical government.

And all the idiot American voters want to call Ron Paul that kooky old man with outdated ideals? LOL.............He's right do away with the entire Dept of Education. Give the states power to manage their own education system.

Old 02-06-2012, 04:58 PM

37,213 posts, read 42,491,179 times
I can understand the outrage and wouldn't want her as my kids teacher BUT...

The thing that keeps me from the knee jerk "fire her!!" reaction is knowing that so many people are still ignorant about things they post on the internet. Sometimes people post crap, a stream of conscious dumping if you will, bull****, take out their frustrations, etc. Everyone still hasn't figured out that in this new world nothing stays private once it's on the internet. It WILL reflect on you and no, you can't hide behind privacy laws or whatnot anymore. We seem to still be walking a line when it comes to personal time/professional time but that more that we put out there the more blurry that line gets.

If it hasn't started already someone is going to make $$ offering classes to professionals about this stuff. Much like workplace sensitivity training there will be social network coaching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies