Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 10:35 AM

26,979 posts, read 16,014,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
What is the average down payment on a house?

No official statistics I'm aware of, but even if it's 10%, that's 1/3 of the down payment...gone. For an FHA "homeowner", it's typically under 3%, so they're now upside down and screwed if they have to move.
The fact is you should not buy a home unless you plan to be there a minimum of five years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 10:54 AM

24,620 posts, read 19,353,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Now close your eyes and imagine what will happen to home prices if interest rates went up to oh....6-7% for a 30-year fixed.

Everything else being equal that would drop home prices 20% or so across the nation.

That's the other shoe waiting to drop on the housing market. It will happen eventually.
Quote:
EXACTLY what I'm thinking. Anyone who is putting down big money on a house in a market that's not already majorly depressed is in for a hurtin' (unless of course they plan to die where they bought)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
What would be the perfect storm if this is you....a spike in interest rates....you buy after the market drops 25%. Interest rates swing back down a year or so later and you refinance.
You guys are jumping the gun.

What I'm seeing is a flat market through the end of the decade, and just when things start to pick up, you get hit with Real Inflation and they'll have to raise the Prime Rate to about 13%-15% to squeeze out all that money they dumped.

6%-7% for a 30-year fixed sounds about right, but you know there'll be some sorry sods out there that get a variable rate and they'll get hammered when the rates start jumping.

What what happens...

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
The fact is the faster the housing market hits bottom the sooner economic activity in real estate starts picking up. Government should not be impeding the fall.
Well, it's in government's nature to muck everything up and stick their nose in places it doesn't belong. For every year the government interferes, they do nothing but prolong the problems for 12-24 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
The fact is you should not buy a home unless you plan to be there a minimum of five years.
Agreed, but there's always that "Circumstances Beyond Your Control" thing.

Not impeding....

Mircea

Old 01-31-2012, 10:58 AM

50,884 posts, read 47,836,463 times
Quote:
In many cases I would agree. However, near my parents in the Saint Auggy area there are SFHs selling for $50K in relatively good shape. OK, so it goes to 40 or 30K...but I can't see it going too much lower than that.
Seriously? I can't even get a freakin cabin out here in the sticks for less than 100k.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:01 AM

3,498 posts, read 2,234,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Seriously? I can't even get a freakin cabin out here in the sticks for less than 100k.
Because prices are still overvalued.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:06 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,382,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
An example close by. I recommend the area, so long as you have 100% cash and no inclination to get a job. Basically, if you're retired and cash rich you could do well moving there.

25 Winchester Pl, Palm Coast, FL 32164 - Zillow

Old 01-31-2012, 11:10 AM

24,279 posts, read 15,386,248 times
A program on NPR this morning said the banks will not loan money for purchase of houses. They are also holding foreclosures off of the market awaiting price increases.
Looks like the banks with all the foreclosures are stalling the recovery.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
A program on NPR this morning said the banks will not loan money for purchase of houses. They are also holding foreclosures off of the market awaiting price increases.
Doesn't make sense to risk capital at a paltry 3-4% for 30 years, unless you are absolutely positively sure the person will pay you back. It makes much more sense to get a guaranteed 0.1-1% on millions of dollars getting a 0% rate from the Fed and sitting on bonds.

I can see why some people want the big banks to go out of business, but what about your local credit union? You want to see them go under for making loans out at ridiculously low rates to risky borrowers?

Old 01-31-2012, 12:03 PM

79,553 posts, read 61,691,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
Good luck getting your house re-assessed to reflect real market value.
Around here they've been very fair about this. However, other parts of the country I wouldn't hold my breath.

Especially true in urban enclaves with mono-party rule, very strong entrenched public sector interests etc. They cannot cut spending so they have to keep up the tax base.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:04 PM

41,325 posts, read 45,181,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
I thought mr obama had fixed that crap already? I guess he's just been too busy fixing the planet and all.
He hasn't found a way yet to GIVE every underwater homeowner their house.....for free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
You can thank DODD-FRANK for that, the wonderful law shoved through congress on a party line vote, signed by obama.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:08 PM

Obama has to be careful. He needs Goldman Sachs' support but he wants to appease the stupid overleveraged "homeowners" who bought at the peak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies