Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 01:44 PM

576 posts, read 586,827 times

Advertisements

I dont even post anything to Facebook anymore. Its more of just an avenue to contact someone if I need to and havent seen them in a while.

I will still read it regularly, though, and the only people I have unfriended is because they post some stupid facebook game or question or something all the time. All of the apps/games on there makes it impossible to actually check anyone's updates.

As far as politics getting in the way of friendships, I just simply refuse to get into deep political discussions with friends/family period. I may make a point or two, but leave it at that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 01:59 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,017,568 times
I have unfriended people for being too political before. I only have between 60-80 Facebook friends anyway. I'm usually pretty particular about who I choose to friend, as I post info about vacations we are on and pics of my kids, etc. I really feel like I have to have a level of trust to share that kind of info.

Every once in a while, someone will post something EXTREMELY partisan (left or right) and I will say to myself "Self, that seems to be the third posting by that person just frothing at the mouth over some political message.." Then I go to the page and sometimes it is absolutely nothing but politics. So clearly, this person only friended me so they could preach to me their particular brand of politics. No thanks - unfriend.

If you post political stuff occassionally, but also post funny quotes or cute pics of your pets, then I will consider you a "friend". But if you just want a platform to broadcast your views, go somewhere else.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:05 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,540,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
I have unfriended people for being too political before. I only have between 60-80 Facebook friends anyway. I'm usually pretty particular about who I choose to friend, as I post info about vacations we are on and pics of my kids, etc. I really feel like I have to have a level of trust to share that kind of info.

Every once in a while, someone will post something EXTREMELY partisan (left or right) and I will say to myself "Self, that seems to be the third posting by that person just frothing at the mouth over some political message.." Then I go to the page and sometimes it is absolutely nothing but politics. So clearly, this person only friended me so they could preach to me their particular brand of politics. No thanks - unfriend.

If you post political stuff occassionally, but also post funny quotes or cute pics of your pets, then I will consider you a "friend". But if you just want a platform to broadcast your views, go somewhere else.

I don't see why some see politics as so evil....I guess, on your point about the friend " who only friended me so they could preach to me their particular brand of politics"...well, if you friended her that's one thing, but even if her posts were getting to you....why not just hide them, or unsubscribe from their posts without unfriending them?

Old 01-30-2012, 02:19 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,017,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
I don't see why some see politics as so evil....I guess, on your point about the friend " who only friended me so they could preach to me their particular brand of politics"...well, if you friended her that's one thing, but even if her posts were getting to you....why not just hide them, or unsubscribe from their posts without unfriending them?
This is a good question. I think I would have done that if I thought they would notice my absence. But the two people I unfriended had 400-500 FB friends. I didn't think they would miss me anyway.

By the way, I really don't think politics is evil. I just wouldn't post anything that I wouldn't be willing to say to a group of people at a cocktail party. Sometimes I think people say outrageous things on the Internet that they would never say face-to-face. This is part of what annoys me.

Don't even get me started on religion on Facebook.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:24 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,229,184 times
People get into arguments over the stupidest of things and never talk again.

Why unfriending someone over political issues is considered Stupid and Juvenile is Stupid and Juvenile IMO.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:25 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,792,385 times
Quote:
Stupid and Juvenile, IMO (when it comes to Politics).
I mean, do people unfriend each other since one likes Alabama or Auburn or the Yankees and the Red Sox?
I can see afew extreme cases where someone says something like racial slurs or code words towards Obama or saying that using sexual images involving Sarah Palin or Michelle Bachmann, but even then.....
again, it's just politics and aren't you an American 1st?
Besides, if you listen to only listen to just people that only share your points of view, doesn't that lose mental stimulation after a while?
Thoughts?
I don't know, those Alabama fans are pretty awful...

Old 01-30-2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
People get into arguments over the stupidest of things and never talk again.

Why unfriending someone over political issues is considered Stupid and Juvenile is Stupid and Juvenile IMO.
You said contradictory things so this post didn't make sense...

Old 01-30-2012, 02:30 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,850,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
I have NEVER unfriended anyone over political beliefs. I have some very dear Republican friends who post anti Obama stuff all the time. They openly express themselves about it and I accept it. It is their opinion. Their right. Sometimes we even have a good debate come of it.

Strangely, lefties have unfriended me and made a drama out of it too when I agree with some Republican viewpoints. I got this dramatic text from a friend who has known me for about 12 or 13 years about how he has to defriend me because he cant stand it anymore, blah blah.

Seriously? So pathetic that it is shameful.

I am the same. I never unfriend people based on political beliefs. I admit I will unfriend someone who post all sorts of religious stuff though (only those who post endless bible versus and I have to scroll through all their 20-40 religious versus before I find someone else) but they have to be EXTREME for me to do that. Politics though is no big deal. I will debate people on politics as well because I like to and I think it is fun and interesting. Quite a few friends have defriended me because of these debates. Most of them are liberals who have defriended me and mostly because of me not being for rights for illegal immigrants.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:35 PM

78,645 posts, read 60,839,402 times
Quote:
Stupid and Juvenile, IMO (when it comes to Politics).
I mean, do people unfriend each other since one likes Alabama or Auburn or the Yankees and the Red Sox?
I can see afew extreme cases where someone says something like racial slurs or code words towards Obama or saying that using sexual images involving Sarah Palin or Michelle Bachmann, but even then.....
again, it's just politics and aren't you an American 1st?
Besides, if you listen to only listen to just people that only share your points of view, doesn't that lose mental stimulation after a while?
Thoughts?
Most people that post politics on facebook are zealots. I could put up with the rare and random bit but otherwise it's kinda pushy.

For example, one friend was railing about Herman Cain being a sex predator....but I know she is a HUGE Bill Clinton backer. I didn't unfriend her but I did find it annoying.

P.S. Having some zealot screech about how Obama is a communist or how republicans are all racist isn't mental stimulation or keeping an open mind. The zealot thinks they are right and others are of course blind....and can't figure out why they got unfriended.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I am the same. I never unfriend people based on political beliefs. I admit I will unfriend someone who post all sorts of religious stuff though (only those who post endless bible versus and I have to scroll through all their 20-40 religious versus before I find someone else) but they have to be EXTREME for me to do that. Politics though is no big deal. I will debate people on politics as well because I like to and I think it is fun and interesting. Quite a few friends have defriended me because of these debates. Most of them are liberals who have defriended me and mostly because of me not being for rights for illegal immigrants.

Again, except for extreme cases....I will never unfriend someone on a social website, because of politics. It may put up a little wall, but that's when you look at other things the person has to offer...or other things to recognize.
Someone mentioned about others having different points of view....Thom Hartmann and even Sean Hannity, put their callers who disagree with them, at the front of the line..... metaphor used.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies