Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 10:15 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,262,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I believe you I used to do tax returns for the "poor". Most drove to our office, looked healthy and wore brand name clothes.

The Earned Income Tax Credit has become legend in the hood. I don't think people realize how savvy a racket it has become. If you add that to the free rent and food you can do pretty well.
I know...they all showed up in Ferrari's and Mink Coats. Yea, i saw that too.

The EITC isn't a legend. Hell, most folks don't even know what it is. All they know is that they get a bunch of money back once a year. And it's usually gone in a few days. So that's hardly the big jackpot that you're making it out to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 10:27 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,658,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I believe you I used to do tax returns for the "poor". Most drove to our office, looked healthy and wore brand name clothes.

The Earned Income Tax Credit has become legend in the hood. I don't think people realize how savvy a racket it has become. If you add that to the free rent and food you can do pretty well.
I have name brand clothes... of course I bought them at places like Ross and TJ Maxx, like many of those people do. Hell, I was walking around in a $300 pair of boots and $200 pair of designer jeans that I purchased brand new for less than $60 a week or two ago due to after christmas sales at discount stores. I also had my Coach wallet that I got as a birthday gift from one of my vendors as well. Looking fancy all for under $100. I guess poorer people should buy everything from wal mart and kmart for the same amount of money (but, it'll wear out quicker and they'll end up spending more in the long run) just to make others feel better about being better off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I've been to all those places at some time or another. I even lived in Georgia for a year.

Again, the dudes with the hot cars, jewelry, clothes, etc, don't apply for government aid or unemployment.
Yep. I've known deadbeats driving expensive cars. It's good to be in the drug business right now.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:40 PM

57 posts, read 31,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I have name brand clothes... of course I bought them at places like Ross and TJ Maxx, like many of those people do. Hell, I was walking around in a $300 pair of boots and $200 pair of designer jeans that I purchased brand new for less than $60 a week or two ago due to after christmas sales at discount stores. I also had my Coach wallet that I got as a birthday gift from one of my vendors as well. Looking fancy all for under $100. I guess poorer people should buy everything from wal mart and kmart for the same amount of money (but, it'll wear out quicker and they'll end up spending more in the long run) just to make others feel better about being better off.

Yep. I've known deadbeats driving expensive cars. It's good to be in the drug business right now.
Maybe we should legalize drugs and to it then well see how many people want unemployment,...

Old 01-25-2012, 02:48 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,468,876 times
Sometimes the unbelievable is believably true. I only say that because i can remember a time, when hubby and i were shopping. We came to a stop sign at a offramp. At the offramp, was this guy grizzley looking guy, looking for money, with his signs, he was scuffy.

He kept on walking now on the Street, with his signs and getting money.
We actually pulled over got a bite to eat, and watched him.

Husband said, watch him, i bet he walks a little way and gets into some fancy car. Me i did not beleive this guy would do that, as scruffy as he was.

Well lo and behold, we watched as he walked to a Genesis Coupe. Maybe not the fanciest car, but dang that car was real sweet. That was a hell of nice new car.

People i am convienced pull the wool over our eyes more then we know.

And tell thos employers who hire, to give those who have been out of work a dang chance, i know some who have been turned down, because they have been out of work now for sometime. Give them a freaking chance.

So i can believe anything.

Old 01-25-2012, 04:24 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,446,632 times
Desertdetroit doesnt know what he is talking about.

That's becoming apparent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Sometimes the unbelievable is believably true. I only say that because i can remember a time, when hubby and i were shopping. We came to a stop sign at a offramp. At the offramp, was this guy grizzley looking guy, looking for money, with his signs, he was scuffy.

He kept on walking now on the Street, with his signs and getting money.
We actually pulled over got a bite to eat, and watched him.

Husband said, watch him, i bet he walks a little way and gets into some fancy car. Me i did not beleive this guy would do that, as scruffy as he was.

Well lo and behold, we watched as he walked to a Genesis Coupe. Maybe not the fanciest car, but dang that car was real sweet. That was a hell of nice new car.

People i am convienced pull the wool over our eyes more then we know.

And tell thos employers who hire, to give those who have been out of work a dang chance, i know some who have been turned down, because they have been out of work now for sometime. Give them a freaking chance.

So i can believe anything.

Old 01-25-2012, 06:21 AM

3,045 posts, read 3,197,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTNAM View Post
Forgive me if you are offended but I want to share my experiences and look for responses.

I live in the south eastern area of the country. In my town, a great deal of people live in government housing projects yet they drive expensive cars. Some live off of the government unemployment checks, yet they don't try to get jobs. Where I work, I deal with around 5-10 people a week that come in and ask me to sign a letter stating that they attempted to get employment for their unemployment checks. Many of them refuse to take the time to even apply. How is it that this system is efficient? I'm not generalizing because i know many people that use unemployment and get jobs and do well for themselves. I just think its odd that the country is heading towards a people of entitlement rather than a working people. Does anyone else see something wrong with people living on government assistance while they buy expensive clothes cars and jewelry?
Where's your data. Empirical stories mean nothing. Putting forward the idea that a law is broken without data is the opposite of smart. Further, do you even know how much unemployment pays? It doesn't give people enough money to pay for expensive clothes and cars.

Put away the emotion and use your brain.

Old 01-25-2012, 06:26 AM

2,635 posts, read 3,515,655 times
Quote:
I can show you Cadillac Escalades and Mercedes cars parked in front of the projects all over my town. I can show you people that I sign those unemployment forms for that pull out in those very cars and wear big gold chains and rings... How does that not hold up?
Put up or shut up. Post a picture.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:00 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,484,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
What kind of expensive cars? Bentley's? Maybach's? Mercedes? And they can afford to make payments on those cars with unemployment?

Your story doesn't hold up, but whatever. You'll stick to it regardless.

Actualy when plowing in the ghetto during the last storm , there was a woman with a mercedes SUV, and she couldn't move it because it had no gas. I suppose the idea of buying less car and saving some money for gas never crossed her mind.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:03 AM

57 posts, read 31,250 times
How about people who buy 15$ in lottery and 5$ in gas....all in quarters and dimes? Think those priorities are suitable?

I literally heard a girl say in the unemployment line...."I had another baby so they would let me get more on my check"

Are you serious

Old 01-25-2012, 11:18 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,683,227 times
Quote:
I can show you Cadillac Escalades and Mercedes cars parked in front of the projects all over my town. I can show you people that I sign those unemployment forms for that pull out in those very cars and wear big gold chains and rings... How does that not hold up?
Sounds like drug dealers, which gives support to the idea that welfare applicants should be tested for drugs before getting welfare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies