Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 09:56 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,267,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTNAM View Post
Look, this situation is hard to believe but this is exactly how it is in my town. I don't know how they are able to collect unemployment, live in projects, and have expensive belongings but they do. Either way, it's simply wrong and I can't believe that 100% of unemployed Americans want jobs..

I recently found out that my close friend has a distant cousing that is collecting disability every month by faking an inability to read.... This is sick
If you by some miracle collect enough unemployment to own a nice shiny Escalade, then you had one HELL of a job at one time. And there is no way they could live in a housing project making that kind of money. And even still, if they just lost a job, the waiting lists for subsidized housing is quite long in most areas. Often those lists have waiting times of a few years if we're talking about the projects.

C'mon....come clean here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 09:57 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,449,439 times
Quote:
Look, this situation is hard to believe but this is exactly how it is in my town. I don't know how they are able to collect unemployment, live in projects, and have expensive belongings but they do. Either way, it's simply wrong and I can't believe that 100% of unemployed Americans want jobs..

I recently found out that my close friend has a distant cousing that is collecting disability every month by faking an inability to read.... This is sick
I believe you I used to do tax returns for the "poor". Most drove to our office, looked healthy and wore brand name clothes.

The Earned Income Tax Credit has become legend in the hood. I don't think people realize how savvy a racket it has become. If you add that to the free rent and food you can do pretty well.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:58 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,449,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
If you by some miracle collect enough unemployment to own a nice shiny Escalade, then you had one HELL of a job at one time. And there is no way they could live in a housing project making that kind of money. And even still, if they just lost a job, the waiting lists for subsidized housing is quite long in most areas. Often those lists have waiting times of a few years if we're talking about the projects.

C'mon....come clean here.
Ever heard of underground economy?

Old 01-24-2012, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
It goes by income levels. So you can work and still be in the projects or get Section 8 like this lady.

Brownsville is pretty much the worst place in NYC but hey she gets free rent and about $800 in food stamps. Since she works and has minor children she'll get the Earned Income Credit as well about 6-7K.

It's quite easy to believe that someone in similar circumstances could afford a decent car maybe not a Mercedes but a Nissan Altima or Ford Taurus.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/25/ny...l?ref=nyregion
Mmmmm...nah, that still doesn't hold up. Besides, most folks in Brownsville wouldn't bother owning a nice car even if they could afford one. And 7.25 is peanuts in Brownsville when you consider how expensive NYC is even if you don't have rent. There are no real large chain supermarkets (cheaper prices), car insurance would be through the roof (high crime area), and just about everything else would be outrageously priced.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:02 PM

57 posts, read 31,256 times
I'm simply talking about projects at this point. I haven't even mentioned people using food stamps and living in slum houses with expensive cars parked out front. You are crazy if you don't think people out there would rather live in a piece of **** and sleep with roaches than have the biggest rims and loudest bass in their cars. I went to public school and many of the kids I graduated with would always talk about how to get this and that free from the government. I was astonished to hear 16 year old kids planning their lives of using my taxes to buy cars and clothes

Old 01-24-2012, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Ever heard of underground economy?
Stop suburban boy. You're really barking up the wrong tree now asking ME about the underground economy.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:03 PM

57 posts, read 31,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Mmmmm...nah, that still doesn't hold up. Besides, most folks in Brownsville wouldn't bother owning a nice car even if they could afford one. And 7.25 is peanuts in Brownsville when you consider how expensive NYC is even if you don't have rent. There are no real large chain supermarkets (cheaper prices), car insurance would be through the roof (high crime area), and just about everything else would be outrageously priced.
You probably don't believe the holocaust happened either right? Visit Alabama, Georgia, and South Carolina then you can tell me what holds up and what doesnt.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:04 PM

Quote:
I'm simply talking about projects at this point. I haven't even mentioned people using food stamps and living in slum houses with expensive cars parked out front. You are crazy if you don't think people out there would rather live in a piece of **** and sleep with roaches than have the biggest rims and loudest bass in their cars. I went to public school and many of the kids I graduated with would always talk about how to get this and that free from the government. I was astonished to hear 16 year old kids planning their lives of using my taxes to buy cars and clothes
The dudes in tough neighborhoods driving around in Escalades and Benzo's don't apply for unemployment or any kind of government aid. They don't need it.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:06 PM

Quote:
You probably don't believe the holocaust happened either right? Visit Alabama, Georgia, and South Carolina then you can tell me what holds up and what doesnt.
I've been to all those places at some time or another. I even lived in Georgia for a year.

Again, the dudes with the hot cars, jewelry, clothes, etc, don't apply for government aid or unemployment.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:08 PM

1,361 posts, read 3,718,412 times
Of course millions of American people are lazy. But there is also a serious lack of jobs as well. In America, the land of opportunity is not based in good jobs anymore but the ready availability of food stamps and EBT cards. What the hell do expect when Uncle Sam shuts down tens of thousands of American factories and exports millions of jobs overseas every year for years and years? Minimum wage doesn't cut it in most places. Try to live off $8 an hour in a place like California, NYC or the DC Area. That is if you can find an $8 an hour job. Did you see the footage of people fighting over McDonald's applications on National Hiring Day in Cleveland last year? People want to work but there are not enough jobs for everyone, let alone living wage jobs. Why waste all your manpower for pennies when you can get a bigger check through welfare or unemployment? Minimum wage is reserved mostly for illegal immigrants and the ultra poor in this country. Illegal immigrants live in one bedroom apartments with 20 other people. Do you think any American would live like that? Hell no. Would you live like that? No. Our society screws the American people in so many ways. Healthcare and higher education are currently only affordable for rich people, yet you need a college degree to work at enterprise rent-a-car for god's sake. Yes, people in the projects will sell dope and suck up EBT because even people in the hood are smart enough to know that college is not a good investment. If working the system and hustling weren't profitable to people in the hood, they wouldn't do it. If getting a crap job was easy to do and really that profitable and great, there would be zero crime and no poor people would be selling drugs. Simple as that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies