Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 06:44 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times

Advertisements

The first, to be followed by a second, just as soon as Cordray enacts any rules or regulations.

Obama Administration | Taken To Court | Recess Appointments | The Daily Caller

Quote:
Without legitimate appointments, they can’t participate in the lawsuit, Mix told The Daily Caller. And without their participation the board does have the quorum needed to implement the new regulations that the foundation opposes.

The president’s claim that he can determine when the Senate is in recess is a constitutional issue, he added, because it is an effort to expand the president’s ability to appoint people whose nominations elected Senators oppose.
Again, the president doesn't get to decide when the Senate, a co-equal branch of government, is in session.

But isn't it interesting the Senate DID indeed pass legislation that the president signed while they engaged in these pro forma sessions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 06:49 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,639,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
The first, to be followed by a second, just as soon as Cordray enacts any rules or regulations.

Obama Administration | Taken To Court | Recess Appointments | The Daily Caller

Again, the president doesn't get to decide when the Senate, a co-equal branch of government, is in session.

But isn't it interesting the Senate DID indeed pass legislation that the president signed while they engaged in these pro forma sessions?
Good for Mark Mix.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:53 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,057,017 times
The decision was already discussed, made, and published for the world to see. Just because anyone can file a lawsuit and the court clerk must accept anything that is remotely filled in correctly doesn't automatically mean the lawsuit is valid.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:36 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
The decision was already discussed, made, and published for the world to see. Just because anyone can file a lawsuit and the court clerk must accept anything that is remotely filled in correctly doesn't automatically mean the lawsuit is valid.
I read your whole link and failed to see anything about how long these people could serve. I pointed out the part of the Constitution that talks about recess appointments that can be made when the Senate is not in session last night. It says that the appointed people can serve till the next session of the Senate is over. I would say that they can serve till October or at the latest December of 2012 according to those words.

Now you must realize that I am a strict constructionist and all of Obama's people of the legal variety, like Holder, are very loose constructionists. Do I have to quote that part for you again?

Old 01-13-2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
You know, we can all imagine what your response would be if Bush had made recess appointments when the Senate was NOT in recess.

Doesn't it bother you the least little bit that this president thinks HE can declare when the Senate is in session..or not?

Old 01-13-2012, 09:53 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Huh? Yeah...trolling...NOT news that the POGarbage POTUS is being sued for his illegal, unconstitutional NONrecess appointments.

Democrats/Left approve....who would have thought?

Oh, in case you didn't realize, Dirty Harry Reid used the very SAME pro forma sessions to thwart Bush recess appointments...only difference...Bush respected a co-equal branch of government. Obama hasn't.

First challenge on new Obama appointees : SCOTUSblog

Oh, one other thing the Left would be howling about. ALL three of these illegal appointments to the NLRB were made just DAYS before the holiday break, leaving no time at all for the Senate to perform theri constitutional duty of advise and consent.
I think that the courts move so slowly that this round of 3 to the NLRB could well put Boeing out of business. I don't even care though since they are leaving their Wichita manufacturing branch and not all of them were union workers either because of Kansas law. I wonder who they will attack next.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:01 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
It will be interesting to see how this will play out.

My prediction: Obama will win and the suit will fail.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
It will be interesting to see how this will play out.

My prediction: Obama will win and the suit will fail.
He lost the last one, from 2010, where SCOTUS ruled the board needed at least 3 for a quorum. Most times courts don't like to get involved with Congress and the executive on constitutional trespassing...but this is important enough for them and they need to put obama back in his place.

ANYBODY reading the facts and history of what he did MUST come to the conclusion that his appointments are illegal.

Just answer a question;

Does the president have the authority to declare to a co-equal branch of government if and when they are in session?

Old 01-13-2012, 11:38 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,269,957 times
I personally am having a bit of a problem with a law professor and constitutional scholar that doesn't seem to know much about the subject. ??? Curious indeed. I think if the White House has bad legal council then fix it.

However, up to this point this hubbub is all allegations, legal questionss, a little spin and a lot of posturing with no clear answers or any legal decision in cite.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:23 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,558,348 times
If this is so illegal and unconstitutional then why isn't the house and the senate starting impeachment proceedings? I will tell you why, because they know it is not. Plan and simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies