Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 02:37 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,448,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Not a democrat but I oppose the IDs due to the cost put upon the government to provide said IDs to its constituents. In the state I live, they give free IDs to people who don't have them and also will give them a ride to get the ID. It is a waste of money for something (voter fraud) that isn't a relevant issue. It has been shown that voter fraud happens very infrequently, less than 1% of all votes are deemed fradulent after an election. You are more likely to be struck by lightening than to have voter fraud occur. Source (I can post others if you don't like this one :-)
I said in the OP that people should count the number of times that guy could have voted using dead people's names and addresses and being offered ballots. Maybe you should check out that link and realize that it was more recent than your source. It is about an election this week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Thanks a lot. I'm one of those "old ladies." I promise you--I'm not all that old, and I don't have cataracts.
I missed this post when going through the latest ones. Tell them, "old" lady.

You deserved a rep for this gutsy post and got one from me.

Old 01-13-2012, 02:40 PM

Did anybody notice that the man in the link had selected dead people who had been registered as Democrats? That had to be the case since he was offered a Democrat ballot every time.

Old 01-13-2012, 02:48 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,254,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Not dumb, at all. In Cimarron, Ks the first place to use the new law Tuesday they had no problem. There was a photo site rite next door to the voting places for just what you suggest. I don't think that many old people will not be voting in Kansas although all pictured in the write up about that election were either in wheel chairs or walking with canes and walkers.

All the whining in the world to allow dead people to vote is not going to win in the end.
I'm glad they did that in Kansas, because in Wisconsin, they passed the new restrictions, and then closed down DMV's in areas populated by students and low income voters. Those radical right wingers (I don't claim them as real republicans) couldn't have been more obvious that it was politically motivated if they tried. If you think you have to gain an advantage by restricting other American citizens who disagree with you from the polls, then maybe you don't deserve to win. The sooner those nuts are out of the R party, the better.

If the state would provide a free id, free assistance with locating a birth certificate for that purpose, and a ride to the DMV (or bring the DMV to the voters) to get the photo taken, I'd be fine with requiring an id to vote--otherwise it becomes a poll tax. What I'm not fine with is spending that kind of government money for an imagined problem. It's a waste.

As for needing the law to begin with--how many dead people have had their identity stolen to vote--I'm not talking about the stuff that came out this week that hasn't been fully investigated or verified--I mean proven cases over the last 10 years? This is a non issue--it is very rare. If you were that concerned about "zombie" voters, you'd be putting the heat on your secretary of state's office to strengthen the process to take those people off the voter rolls on a timely basis--that would solve your imagined "problem" a whole lot faster than anything else. How will a state id help the process of voter fraud by people who've moved away from the area? It won't, but you fail to mention that part, and that situation is probably more common than "dead people" voting.

Last edited by mb1547; 01-13-2012 at 03:18 PM..

Old 01-13-2012, 03:05 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,924,514 times
Quote:
I said in the OP that people should count the number of times that guy could have voted using dead people's names and addresses and being offered ballots. Maybe you should check out that link and realize that it was more recent than your source. It is about an election this week.
Here is an article that refutes your OP Source

I'm sure you will not like that one either. I can post another if you like.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:10 PM

281 posts, read 259,110 times
Quote:
Here are some outstanding examples of it, I think. Admittedly this was only New Hampshire in a primary but so many zombies could have voted in the Democrat primary if one man had taken the so easy to get ballots for the Dem party. Oh yes, you will find that in every case he was offered a Democrat ballot when he claimed to be a dead person.

Maybe the best example of why we need IDs, these days, is exhibited at the end of the video. The man says that there are people scanning obits from all over the state to see when people die and expunge their names from the registered rolls. He says it only takes about a month and yet some of the people who the "zombie" said he was died back as early as last October.

Count how many times this man could have voted for dead people in the video. I was amazed at it all.

Dead People Voting in New Hampshire Primary
It is harder to stuff the ballot box, a well-known Democrat tactic, with ID's required.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:19 PM

10,190 posts, read 8,009,716 times
I bet if a photo ID was required to get food stamps or welfare there would be no problem getting them.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:22 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,560,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
I bet if a photo ID was required to get food stamps or welfare there would be no problem gettin them.
It already is in some places ironically.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:37 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,560,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stateisota View Post
Because its unconstitutional to make someone pay for material in order to partake in a political election.
Allow people to get ID's for free...problem solved. Voter ID laws have been ruled constitutional when ID's are available for free.

These laws already exist in many states.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:40 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,328,976 times
Because the Democrats like to use fraud to elect Democrats. Also many Democrats without ID are wanted on warrants and wanted for this or that and can't get identification.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies