Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 02:15 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
And how much do those stadiums cost to build and maintain???

Much less then they usually bring in, especially in conferenced schools.

There is a lot of money in college football, which is why students are getting bribes. If it weren't earning a lot of money, it wouldn't be a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 02:31 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,367,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
But a C average at Harvard may be quite different then a A average at your local community college.

You are talking about a complex system, as if it would be simple. Rationing anything on a public basis means abuse. It isn't as simple as "if you keep x amount of an average, we'll pay for this much of your education".

And technically, most people are required to pay back their student loans, and grants if they don't finish their degree. And that money isn't even able to be cleared through bankruptcy.
Then why do we have all those entrance exams like the GMAT? I may be one of those rare individuals that took a GMAT, and the entrance exam at Devry. After I took the test at Devry, I was certain I did not miss a single item. It was like riding Willy Wonka's glass elevator, and I had to turn Willy down because it confirmed to me they set the bar low. It was obviously a for profit school trying to maximize profits.

If our university system cannot design tests to hold down demand from idiots, then the system itself isn't worth a crap either. The cost should not be rising above the general inflation rate. If it is, then it becomes a source of rent for the finance industry.

Old 01-06-2012, 05:32 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Then why do we have all those entrance exams like the GMAT? I may be one of those rare individuals that took a GMAT, and the entrance exam at Devry. After I took the test at Devry, I was certain I did not miss a single item. It was like riding Willy Wonka's glass elevator, and I had to turn Willy down because it confirmed to me they set the bar low. It was obviously a for profit school trying to maximize profits.

If our university system cannot design tests to hold down demand from idiots, then the system itself isn't worth a crap either. The cost should not be rising above the general inflation rate. If it is, then it becomes a source of rent for the finance industry.
There are a lot of entrance exams. I took them when I went to college. But you don't get one cent of public money or loans until you can pass the entrance exam.

Almost every kid must pass an entrance exam before going to college, of some kind. So all of those kids, those just out to get drunk and laid, all passed an entrance exam.

Old 01-06-2012, 05:44 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,216,280 times
How Can We Reduce The Cost Of Going To College?

Glenn Reynolds, UTenn law professor and blogger at InstaPundit has had an ongoing topic about increased costs of a college ed.

Seems parts of the problem might include un-needed buildings that cost too much, tenured professors who get paid too much, and a growing number of administrators.

You might look up his web page and do some research there for insight into the problem.

Old 01-06-2012, 05:53 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
Stop building professional quality stadiums and programs, as well as state of the art medical facilities on college campuses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Those sport complexes generally bring in more money annually then the entire university does from tuition.

Food for thought.
yep, the university of arizona brings in about $77 million per year through its athletic activities, and they rank around number 50 or so in athletic revenue.

if we are going to reduce college costs, we need to stop government loan guarantees, and we need to just tell some people that college is not for them and that they should be looking at technical schools instead.

Old 01-06-2012, 05:54 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,933,771 times
I think it would help if employers quit requiring degrees for even menial jobs. Even a decade ago many of these jobs had no such requirement, and this only perpetuates the problem of everyone thinking they must get a college degree. Honestly, very few professions need one when it gets right down to it.

Old 01-06-2012, 05:54 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
Default How Can We Reduce The Cost Of Going To College?

We could start by not encouraging everyone and their dog to go to college...

Old 01-06-2012, 05:57 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
How Can We Reduce The Cost Of Going To College?

Taking out huge loans aint the answer.

Also pouring more money into K-12 aint the answer for our public school system.

I can't imagine leaving college with $100,000 of debt. Kids these days would be better off finding a factory job after high school and buying a house. As long as you're going to be in debt, you might as well get something for your money.

Kids who graduate from college will have to pay off their Student Loans and a mortgage.
Go to an inexpensive public college, work part-time, and take a little longer doing it.

[owed only about $3000 when I was finished]

Old 01-06-2012, 05:58 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
We could start by not encouraging everyone and their dog to go to college...
Agreed.

[encourage the pursuit of experience and certification in technical skills/careers]

Old 01-06-2012, 06:00 PM

932 posts, read 1,177,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
I think it would help if employers quit requiring degrees for even menial jobs. Even a decade ago many of these jobs had no such requirement, and this only perpetuates the problem of everyone thinking they must get a college degree. Honestly, very few professions need one when it gets right down to it.
^^^

What he said.

College institutions have become too monstrous and too big for their own good. Perhaps of fewer people went and were pushed into trade schools or apprenticeships, you'd starve the system and force reform that way? In other words, cut the umbilical cord. There are too many people with the same business degree, which is why employers now ask for a BA, even for mundane jobs that a high school dropout could most likely do with ease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies