Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 02:25 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,649,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
Whatever it takes short of imprisonment to force Congress to do their freaking job. Kudos to Obama. While not the best application of leadership, in times of clearly stated obstructionism, it's probably the only way.
Ah, Saul's old, MY ends justify the means, tactic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 02:31 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,158,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
Preserving the federal republic is NOT obstructionism.
When they say "We Want To Stop The President", that's obstructionism! It's wrong. It's not what they were elected to do. You want to call it something else, you are not living in the real world. If you find their actions acceptable, wait until every Democrat blocks everything a Republican President does. Don't come back crying about how wrong it is then. They have a 7% approval rating because they're not doing anything even when the President extends olive branch after olive branch and offers compromises and even yields on key issues. "Preserving the federal republic" as a description of their actions is laughable.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:33 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,355,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
The sickening part of all this is that while he was Senator (for about 2 short, present-voting moments), he shrieked against this type of behavior.
I seem to recall something about him referring to raising the debt ceiling as unpatriotic, too.

One thing's for sure: Obama will never be on Mt. Rushmore. There's only room for one more face up there.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:34 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,158,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
Ah, Saul's old, MY ends justify the means, tactic.
I want congress to do its job. It has failed. If Obama has to go a less than ideal route to get things done, why is that categorically wrong? Hasn't some President you've supported done the exact same thing? Isn't the my-way-or-the-highway, with-us-or-against-us, ends-justify-the-means thinking exactly what rightwingers are looking for in a leader?

Old 01-04-2012, 02:35 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,545,326 times
He clearly said, very recently that in this last year he is "going to" get his agenda through, "with or without Congress."

So, watch the Communist-in-Chief, and as for this last year...

"let the Subversion begin!"

Old 01-04-2012, 02:36 PM

45,470 posts, read 26,737,096 times
Quote:
I want congress to do its job. It has failed. If Obama has to go a less than ideal route to get things done, why is that categorically wrong? Hasn't some President you've supported done the exact same thing? Isn't the my-way-or-the-highway, with-us-or-against-us, ends-justify-the-means thinking exactly what rightwingers are looking for in a leader?
If Congress did its job, Obama would have been impeached by now.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:37 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,996,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Will not be surprised if one day he steps out wearing a Castro style military uniform, smoking a Cuban cigar, and declare himself El Presidente for life.

Exactly! And the liberals will be jumping with glee. They seem to support communism.

6,476 posts, read 7,355,028 times
Quote:
See...there's this thing called 'The Constitution', and we try to follow that. When a President -any President- tries to circumvent it we move a step closer to totalitarianism. I'll not take the trouble to list history's more notorious leaders who saw any means fit to arrive at an end.

3,064 posts, read 2,649,909 times
Quote:
No. We want someone who follows the Constitution.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:38 PM

90,295 posts, read 121,352,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
Dish it out? When has a Republican President ever arrogated power in this way? If you approve of this now, just remember that this sets a precedent for a Republican administration to do the same thing some day. If that ever happens I expect complete silence from you and your ilk.
President Obama Has Made Far Fewer Recess Appointments Than Any Recent President | ThinkProgress

After today’s appointment, President Obama will have made a total of 29 recess appointments. By comparison, George W. Bush made 171 recess appointments; Bill Clinton made 139 recess appointments; George H.W. Bush made 77 recess appointments; and Ronald Reagan made 243. When you divide these numbers by the number of years each man spent in the White House, it reveals that Obama is far and away the least likely president to invoke this power:

See chart. Read it and weep. Or are the Bushes and Reagan's "different"? Looks like St. Ronnie is the winner!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies