Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 04:56 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,982,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech
Bi-partisan? The vote was 234-190 from your source. That's party lines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Ok, I read your link:

Quote:
Voting in favor of the legislation were 224 Republicans and 10 Democrats, while 179 Democrats and 14 Republicans opposed it.
I'm afraid to inform you, that's not bi-partisan. 95% of Republicans voted for it and 93% of Democrats voted against it.
Mr. Wilson, be careful you have your facts straight before standing up and screaming, "you lie."

The OP's source (Washington Times) originally posted the vote as 234-190 but have since deleted the numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 05:04 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,143,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post

Because the GOP stuck a pipeline in the bill that they knew Obama was against.

See how that works??

Old 12-14-2011, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter
LOL...typical right wing convenience. You shouldn't be surprised.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Of the few libs here, you need to admit that you know that these things work both ways, depending on who is in control. Come on and let these people relax.
The difference is that the Republicans specifically, in writing, pledged that they wouldn't place other unrelated legislation into "must pass" legislation to avert the will of the people, but that's exactly what they did. Now, you justify it with the "Johnny did it too defense," and conveniently forget that they reneged on a tactic that they specifically said they wouldn't do.

IOKIYRAR

It's about time Obama stood up to these lying hostage takers instead of his former tactic of capitulating to them. When you have shown that you will pay the ransom, it encourages them to take more hostages later. Now, let the GOP go back and tell their constituents that they couldn't just pass a clean payroll tax extension without helping out the oil companies in the process.

A government where only the House is controlled by the GOP shouldn't act as if the House gets it's way on everything.

Last edited by MTAtech; 12-14-2011 at 05:14 AM..

Old 12-14-2011, 05:08 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,890,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Ok, I read your link:

I'm afraid to inform you, that's not bi-partisan. 95% of Republicans voted for it and 93% of Democrats voted against it.
Mr. Wilson, be careful you have your facts straight before standing up and screaming, "you lie."

The OP's source (Washington Times) originally posted the vote as 234-190 but have since deleted the numbers.
The Dems that voted for it are what's left of the Blue Dogs, and will likely be replaced in 2012, as were other Blue Dogs in 2010. Funny thing is, the TParty was presponsible for getting rid of some Blue Dogs in 2010, next round is on the Dems.

Old 12-14-2011, 05:11 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,227,798 times
all this tells me is that both republicans and democrats are only for 1 thing, more goverment.

if less taxes are gained from stealing from the people via a voluntary taxing system, then the federal goverment would be anything but large.

Old 12-14-2011, 05:16 AM

46,374 posts, read 27,217,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Hey, Breitfart told the truth, maybe even twice. You give him the metal, I won't mind.
You do realize what I quoted you on, right?

You gave some link and then somone said....yea what a source....

And you came back with the statement I quoted you on.

Now, a rightie does this....give's a link that the left hates.......why is that...when you say a " a source does not matter" it o.k., until a rightie does it...?

Make up our minds bob, which is it....all link are good or they are not...

From your OWN quote, all link are fine, no matter who they are from....

Old 12-14-2011, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
all this tells me is that both republicans and democrats are only for 1 thing, more goverment.

if less taxes are gained from stealing from the people via a voluntary taxing system, then the federal government would be anything but large.
There are two fallacies with your argument.
The first is that "taxes are stealing." Yet, the founders didn't think that taxes where stealing, that's why they gave Congress the power to lay and collect taxes.

Second fallacy is that small or no government is good government. No thank you, I'd rather live in this country, where the government inspects the meat and has air traffic controllers making sure my airliner doesn't hit another airliner, than live in small government Afghanistan or Somalia.

Old 12-14-2011, 05:27 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,204,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
There are two fallacies with your argument.
The first is that "taxes are stealing." Yet, the founders didn't think that taxes where stealing, that's why they gave Congress the power to lay and collect taxes.

Second fallacy is that small or no government is good government. No thank you, I'd rather live in this country, where the government inspects the meat and has air traffic controllers making sure my airliner doesn't hit another airliner, than live in small government Afghanistan or Somalia.
There's some necessary areas of government such as the FAA. But there's also unnecessary parts of the government like social security (going forward, that is).

I'd like to see more tax money going towards the debt than programs that are not in our best interest.

Old 12-14-2011, 05:28 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,890,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
You do realize what I quoted you on, right?

You gave some link and then somone said....yea what a source....

And you came back with the statement I quoted you on.

Now, a rightie does this....give's a link that the left hates.......why is that...when you say a " a source does not matter" it o.k., until a rightie does it...?

Make up our minds bob, which is it....all link are good or they are not...

From your OWN quote, all link are fine, no matter who they are from....
You may have quoted me, but understand? I'll try this again, I do not care what the source is, I care what the validity of the facts are. No, all links are not good, content determines what is worthwhile or not.

Old 12-14-2011, 05:30 AM

46,374 posts, read 27,217,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I'll try this again, I do not care what the source is, I care what the validity of the facts are. No, all links are not good, content determines what is worthwhile or not.

Very good bob....so then the next time one of your leftie friends say "oh yea, what a source" to a rightie, I should see you saying the exact same thing as you just said, correct? But, I doubt that will happen....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies