Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 11:12 AM

7,531 posts, read 11,376,259 times

Advertisements

A history lesson on U.S tax rates and their effects on economic growth.

Economic Growth: Do Tax Rates Really Matter? - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 11:13 AM

So it seems that tax rates matter but it's only a part of what determines economic growth and investment. Each era of tax cuts and increases that had growth also had other factors affecting the economy besides taxes.

This also applies to investment decisions. I remember reading that for companies locating overseas the tax rates of a country was also just one factor for determining if they would invest in a country. Things such as the educational and job skill level of the population and the infrastructure of a country also seem to play a big part in an investment decision.

Anyway,since taxes aren't the biggest factor in causing growth or hurting it I'd generally recommend a moderate tax level on the rich. This is why I have few problems with going back to the Clinton rate of 39%.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:19 AM

4,301 posts, read 4,413,296 times
It affects it (directly) to a much smaller degree than many would admit. But, another aspect of this (that the video doesn't really touch) is what we've seen happen to Great Britain: A sizeable chunk of their wealthy just up and leave the country (the rock & movie stars to name a few). It doesn't help if the wealthy people give you the middle finger and leave.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:25 AM

1,147 posts, read 910,238 times
I agree that tax cuts do NOT stimulate growth. The "trickle down" theory is nothing more than peeing on my leg and telling me it's raining. That's the only thing "trickling down".

However, reality check. Much of Clinton's economic success came from technology. I'm part of that business, and sorry, I'm not giving Clinton credit for it. Especially when the undue attention it received ended up dealing a huge blow to it with the dot-com bust.

As for Bush? Thinly secured mortgages kept the economy afloat for part of his presidency, and we see where that got us. People were using their homes as ATMs. Salaries sure weren't supporting it.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:27 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,169,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Had2SaySumthin View Post
I agree that tax cuts do NOT stimulate growth.
Clinton cut taxes, stimulated growth
Bush cut taxes, stimulated growth.

Tell me how increasing taxes could possibly stimulate growth.. I cant wait to hear this wonderful analysis from you
Quote:
However, reality check. Much of Clinton's economic success came from technology.
When Clinton raised taxes, the economy fell, despite technology "growth". It wasnt until AFTER he dropped taxes the rest of the nation prospered.

Try again

Old 12-13-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
But, another aspect of this (that the video doesn't really touch) is what we've seen happen to Great Britain: A sizeable chunk of their wealthy just up and leave the country (the rock & movie stars to name a few). It doesn't help if the wealthy people give you the middle finger and leave.
I'd think that taxes would matter more if they're considered too high. Taxes in many European countries have probably been considered too high to the point that they do affect individual and business decisions to leave a country. That's why I'am for moderate taxes on the rich.

Another thing the video didn't touch on was that during those years after WWII that the U.S had tax rates of 70 to 90% on the rich,the rich were able to take advantage of tax shelters that ended under Reagan. So I think few rich people were actually paying that full 70 to 90% tax rate in the 50's,60's and 70's.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:28 AM

1,147 posts, read 910,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
It affects it (directly) to a much smaller degree than many would admit. But, another aspect of this (that the video doesn't really touch) is what we've seen happen to Great Britain: A sizeable chunk of their wealthy just up and leave the country (the rock & movie stars to name a few). It doesn't help if the wealthy people give you the middle finger and leave.
Versus what? Living and operating here, but employing there? We're not seeing a whole lot of benefit from rich people these days. In fact, I'll go on record as saying government jobs and SMALL business are keeping this country afloat right now.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:35 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,169,371 times
Quote:
Versus what? Living and operating here, but employing there? We're not seeing a whole lot of benefit from rich people these days. In fact, I'll go on record as saying government jobs and SMALL business are keeping this country afloat right now.
Of course you dont see benefits from rich people, they are only buying the bonds for the government to spend. Where the hell do you think the money comes from

Btw, I own stock in a company thats had 5 years of straight losses.. Yes, its the rich keeping this company afloat and its 35,000 employees. Surely you arent going to tell me welfare recipiants are buying up debt, are you?

Old 12-13-2011, 11:43 AM

20,728 posts, read 19,386,506 times
Looking at taxes without taking into account the share of equity and interest overhead seems pretty pointless to me.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:53 AM

20,728 posts, read 19,386,506 times
Quote:
I agree that tax cuts do NOT stimulate growth. The "trickle down" theory is nothing more than peeing on my leg and telling me it's raining. That's the only thing "trickling down".

However, reality check. Much of Clinton's economic success came from technology. I'm part of that business, and sorry, I'm not giving Clinton credit for it. Especially when the undue attention it received ended up dealing a huge blow to it with the dot-com bust.

As for Bush? Thinly secured mortgages kept the economy afloat for part of his presidency, and we see where that got us. People were using their homes as ATMs. Salaries sure weren't supporting it.

It really depends what you are taxing. Tobin taxes and taxing housing capital gains from flipping would have driven money out of the bubble, but its a little late. However raising taxes destroys money which isn't exactly what you want during debt deflation. The time to tax was during the late 90s and at the latest 2001 to keep the bloat out of real estate. If the private sector is still misbehaving like driving up farm land prices then I suppose yanking it out of their hands may be of some use. However we are either going to run deficits or get a depression. Its one or the other.

What should have happened is mortgages principle should have been reduced across the board. People are now locked into mortgages where the price was set by people who had no money bidding for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies