Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 07:49 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,384,118 times

Advertisements

Well, at least pre-Obama.

I posted this in the thread about 'compassionate conservatism' but figured it's worth a thread of it's own. Especially as we look forward to 2012. After all, as another George once said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Santayana
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
This is an excellent article from the now defunct Liberty magazine that I often have referred back to. I still have my paper copy of the mag from 2006.

http://www.libertyunbound.com/sites/...ugust_2006.pdf

It's a PDF so after you click the link you'll have to click to page 15 to read it. Only takes a couple secs to click ahead.

The author argues that W Bush was at least the most liberal president since LBJ, and governed in the tradition of the most liberal presidents of the 20th century, Wilson, FDR, and LBJ.

Here are a few quick snippets from it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Harrison
Spending. Total government spending rose by 33% during Bush's first term. The federal budget as a share of GDP grew from 18.5% on the last day of the Clinton administration to 20.3% at the end of Bush's first term.

Quote:
The 'No Child Left Behind Act" of 2001, a 670 page federal assault on local control over public schools. This pet project of the Republican president, made into law with the help of Ted Kennedy..is a direct descendent...of Lyndon Johnson's Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Harrison
...Medicare Pard D...A classic New Deal, Great Society approach to health care, it was originally part of President Clinton's abortive Health Security Act of 1993...

Well worth reading, and like most stuff from Liberty, very well written.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 07:54 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,255,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Well, at least pre-Obama.

I posted this in the thread about 'compassionate conservatism' but figured it's worth a thread of it's own. Especially as we look forward to 2012. After all, as another George once said:

This is an excellent article from the now defunct Liberty magazine that I often have referred back to. I still have my paper copy of the mag from 2006.

http://www.libertyunbound.com/sites/...ugust_2006.pdf

It's a PDF so after you click the link you'll have to click to page 15 to read it. Only takes a couple secs to click ahead.

The author argues that W Bush was at least the most liberal president since LBJ, and governed in the tradition of the most liberal presidents of the 20th century, Wilson, FDR, and LBJ.

Here are a few quick snippets from it:

Quote:
Spending. Total government spending rose by 33% during Bush's first term. The federal budget as a share of GDP grew from 18.5% on the last day of the Clinton administration to 20.3% at the end of Bush's first term.

Quote:
The 'No Child Left Behind Act" of 2001, a 670 page federal assault on local control over public schools. This pet project of the Republican president, made into law with the help of Ted Kennedy..is a direct descendent...of Lyndon Johnson's Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Harrison
...Medicare Pard D...A classic New Deal, Great Society approach to health care, it was originally part of President Clinton's abortive Health Security Act of 1993...

Well worth reading, and like most stuff from Liberty, very well written.
Right...which is why every single conservative on C-D....including YOU, voted for him twice.

And please...miss me with the "i never liked the guy" nonsense, or how "he was the lesser of two evils" blah, blah, blah. You all voted for him because you thought he was PLENTY conservative enough.

You've all turned against him now because he ended up being exposed as a clown in the end. But as long as he was riding high, you were all in love with the guy. In fact, i've never seen a president so ferociously defended as Bush during his term. There were times i thought i was gonna have to get in fights just for lightly critisizing him.

So please, stop with the revisionist history.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:55 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,662,797 times
And the best part about George Bush's liberal policies and programs .. no one has to pay! No new taxes. In fact, let's have tax cuts! Let's cut taxes the most ofr the very rich, but everyone will get a little tax cut!

He's like a bad conservative parody of a liberal Santa Claus. At least real liberals -- FDR and LBJ -- had the sense to fund their policies and programs. God I hate Bush. The damage he did to this country won't be undone for decades, if ever.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Right...which is why every single conservative on C-D....including YOU, voted for him twice.

And please...miss me with the "i never liked the guy" nonsense, or how "he was the lesser of two evils" blah, blah, blah. You all voted for him because you thought he was PLENTY conservative enough.

You've all turned against him now because he ended up being exposed as a clown in the end. But as long as he was riding high, you were all in love with the guy. In fact, i've never seen a president so ferociously defended as Bush during his term. There were times i thought i was gonna have to get in fights just for lightly critisizing him.

So please, stop with the revisionist history.
Can't rep you again, but I owe you one. So, so true. Now that the damage is done they want to call Bush a clown. If they would have held their nose and voted for Kerry, we would have been out of Iraq and Afghanistan years ago -- at a savings of several hundred billion dollars.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:57 PM

4,367 posts, read 3,488,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Can't rep you again, but I owe you one. So, so true. Now that the damage is done they want to call Bush a clown. If they would have held their nose and voted for Kerry, we would have been out of Iraq and Afghanistan years ago -- at a savings of several hundred billion dollars.
Why do you think that? People voted for Obama in the hopes that he would "bring the troops home"...........

Old 12-09-2011, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
Why do you think that? People voted for Obama in the hopes that he would "bring the troops home"...........
Lemme ask: did you hope he'd bring the troops home?

Old 12-09-2011, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
Obama has been a huge, f-ing dissappointment on the wars, Gitmo, the Patriot Act and the Bush tax cuts, night. I give Kerry the benefit of the doubt that if he were elected in 2004, he would have done what he said he was going to do.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Obama has been a huge, f-ing dissappointment on the wars, Gitmo, the Patriot Act and the Bush tax cuts, night. I give Kerry the benefit of the doubt that if he were elected in 2004, he would have done what he said he was going to do.
Aint the truth. I had no idea that Obama would be this frickin' hawkish.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Aint the truth. I had no idea that Obama would be this frickin' hawkish.
Well, he'll get out of Afghanistan in his second term, and I trust him more than Gingrich to keep us out of war with Pakistan and Iran. He's not great, but he's the best I've got, I guess.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:37 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,191,991 times
Quote:
Bush doubled the size of government.. If thats not liberal enough for you, what would have made this true? Triple?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies