Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 02:48 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,576,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
doesnt matter, 1st Amendment protections. I hope this is overturned and the cops are fired including the DA prosecuting the case.
I totally agree with you....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 02:52 PM

3,498 posts, read 2,217,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
Why do these laws exist? To cover up potential wrongdoing by police and other authorities?
What are the cops in Illinois trying to hide from us?

I don't think public officials doing their jobs on taxpayer time and on taxpayer money have any reasonable expectation of privacy. They have a reasonable expectation of privacy when they are off-duty, on their own time when they go home at night and become private citizens but not in the course of their official duties as public servants.
Good argument. It's understood that dutiies performed do not have the expectation of privacy. The DA appears to be retaliating.

Old 12-02-2011, 02:54 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,992,148 times
Outrageous. Using the same logic they should take down all of the security cameras that are monitoring and eavesdropping on us. I personally did not give consent for them to record my actions or my words.

Old 12-02-2011, 03:05 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,951,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Outrageous. Using the same logic they should take down all of the security cameras that are monitoring and eavesdropping on us. I personally did not give consent for them to record my actions or my words.
Absolutely. I hope someone sues the state of Illinois and turning their own screwed-up self-serving laws against them.

Old 12-02-2011, 03:30 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,329,220 times
This may well be something that the Constitution itself does not really address, and it might end up becoming the subject of a Supreme Court decision at some point.

First of all, the police do not have a constitutional right to privacy when acting in the capacity of their duties as an officer. As it is commonly understood, privacy essentially refers to private conduct by private citizens. Police officers are obviously public figures and the subject of public interest, so they cannot claim defense on grounds of privacy. If states allow it, then there's really nothing officers can do to stop the recording of them.

However, that's not the legal question. The question is, what about states that actually have laws that do prevent ordinary citizens from recording police officers? Are such laws unconstitutional? Are there provisions in the Constitution which make such laws invalid? Do ordinary people have the right to collect information like that? That's the question.

The First Amendment allows freedom of the press. Within this freedom, certain acts are protected. The act of collecting information. The act of publishing information. However, the Courts have also ruled that there are limitations. The free flow of information is mitigated in some circumstances by compelling governmental interest. For instance, courts have ruled that the press cannot publish information which constitutes a 'clear and present danger' to national security. They cannot have special access or privileges that ordinary people don't themselves enjoy.

But those limitations aside, it's not entirely clear where the law stands on something like this. Probably because the prosecutions of such laws have been so few, there isn't much case law on this topic yet. But if this case goes forward, and particularly if it's successful, I would imagine precedents to be established in the not-too-distant future.

My guess would be that, historically speaking, most judges would probably rule that these broad interpretations of the anti-eavesdropping laws are unconstitutional. I could see a court agreeing with police in some situations. For instance, if there was a drug raid or something like that, in which there were covert operations and there was a compelling need for secrecy, I could see the court agreeing with police in banning such recordings. But in a routine traffic stop or when police officers are otherwise in public view? Nah, I think people have the right to have that information.

Now, would guys like Antonin Scalia agree? Maybe not. This is a good time to be a fascist in America.

Old 12-02-2011, 03:33 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,732,843 times
Quote:
Has to be seen to be believed.

75 Years in Prison For Videotaping Police - YouTube

What are the troops fighting for and dying for again?
Please don't tell me it is for our freedoms.

If I'm on the jury, he would certainly be set free.

He would have gotten a lighter sentence for killing someone.

Wake up people! Government is growing and getting more powerful every day!

Old 12-02-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
I don't know the details about this case, but I do know that recording private conversations without all parties consent is illegal in many states. .
These were not private conversations... they were activities in public.

If we allow government to outlaw filming LE, they will have very little constraint to perform appropriately.

Without film, the Rodney King incident would never have been brought to light. And many others.

Old 12-02-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
Does that mean I can wiretap a teachers phone conversations? What about doctors who work at a public hospital? Bus drivers, city clerks?

Why do you have difficulty differentiating between private and public activities?

Old 12-02-2011, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
doesnt matter, 1st Amendment protections. I hope this is overturned and the cops are fired including the DA prosecuting the case.
That is a good way to fight this abuse. Demand that the DA be fired.

But we know that most DAs act with impunity. They have to commit murder to get fired.

Old 12-02-2011, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Why do these laws exist? To cover up potential wrongdoing by police and other authorities?
What are the cops in Illinois trying to hide from us?

I don't think public officials doing their jobs on taxpayer time and on taxpayer money have any reasonable expectation of privacy. They have a reasonable expectation of privacy when they are off-duty, on their own time when they go home at night and become private citizens but not in the course of their official duties as public servants.
Correct! The only reason to outlaw public filming is to cover up bad LE activity... to cover up Rodney King beatings.

It's strange, really. You would think that the good cops would encourage public filming...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies