Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 10:55 PM

2,305 posts, read 3,045,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
The banks were forced by the politicians.
Wrong. The banks own the politicians. They force the politicians to do what they want them to do. Why do you think many of the present and past administrations are made up of ex wall street people and Bankers. Very few Americans really understand how our system is being operated today and what caused the financial crisis we are in. A bunch of you try to act like you know what you are talking about but you are just repeating what you are told by the main stream media. Hell, half the kids on OWS know more than most of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 10:57 PM

5,113 posts, read 6,018,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Thanks.

Cr*p, that is a seriously depressing article. And to think once again that Glass-Stegal would have stopped this too.
There is actually more investments firms doing the same thing making the potential public debt much more ... but once you get above 10 Trillion does it really matter? They are doing this because they know the future. This is probably why the world keeps getting told ... over and over ... that Greece is going down ... then saved ... then down ... then saved (over and over) ... they are just kicking the can ... giving a little more time for this kind of crap, the transfer of derivatives to public debt, to happen. Greece is a zombie.

Last edited by Vascodagama; 11-01-2011 at 11:14 PM..

Old 11-01-2011, 11:04 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,866,761 times
Wow! This is the first time I ever heard Bloomberg say anything I liked or agreed with. I'm amazed.

Old 11-02-2011, 03:33 PM

86,052 posts, read 85,002,502 times
Thought I'd add to this thread. Now the city of Austin has backed down from enforcing restrictions near City Hall and issued a statement.

This is the third city now that, within 24 hours of news reports of trying to limit the protesters, have backed down.

This is NOT a grassroots movement folks.

Austin news, sports, weather, Longhorns, business | Statesman.com

Old 11-02-2011, 03:54 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,573,065 times
Quote:
As much as I despise Bloomberg even he isn't willing to lose his credibility in finance by not stating the obvious truth. Barney Franke, his boy toy Franklin Raines, Chris Dodd, and co. had their minions breathing down the necks of the banks making certain they made loans to people who could not afford it just because it would look good in the name of racial demographics.
This post is as far as I needed to go. Blame us what ever. Ill stop or this will be my last post.........

Old 11-02-2011, 03:55 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,573,065 times
Wake up black people you are under attack.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:11 PM

19,792 posts, read 14,060,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Thought I'd add to this thread. Now the city of Austin has backed down from enforcing restrictions near City Hall and issued a statement.

This is the third city now that, within 24 hours of news reports of trying to limit the protesters, have backed down.

This is NOT a grassroots movement folks.

Austin news, sports, weather, Longhorns, business | Statesman.com
What's the evidence that brings you to the conclusion that OWS is not a grass-roots movement?

Old 11-02-2011, 05:19 PM

19,792 posts, read 14,060,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal
As much as I despise Bloomberg even he isn't willing to lose his credibility in finance by not stating the obvious truth. Barney Franke, his boy toy Franklin Raines, Chris Dodd, and co. had their minions breathing down the necks of the banks making certain they made loans to people who could not afford it just because it would look good in the name of racial demographics.

That meme was already discredited earlier in the thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
From the New Republic:

1. The Community Reinvestment Act of 1977 was irrelevant to the subprime boom, which was overwhelmingly driven by loan originators not subject to the Act.
2. The housing bubble reached its point of maximum inflation in the middle years of the naughties:

3. During those same years, Fannie and Freddie were sidelined by Congressional pressure, and saw a sharp drop in their share of securitization:

while securitization by private players surged:

The fact is that for Bloomberg to go with the Congress-did-it argument at this stage is for him to reveal both that he is grossly ignorant about the central policy issue of the day and that he gets his “analysis” from right-wing flacks.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:24 PM

5,113 posts, read 6,018,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
What's the evidence that brings you to the conclusion that OWS is not a grass-roots movement?
This link is to one of many sites that were posted before June 2011.

Stop the Machine! Create a New World!

Old 11-02-2011, 09:10 PM

11,448 posts, read 14,542,322 times
Quote:
Show me one bit of legislation that forced these banks to give loans out.

These banks took part in these loans because THEY MADE MONEY, just as they made money from bundling them and selling them as securities. Just as they made money from shorting them while pumping them to their investors. Are you also going to say Barney Frank "made" them do this too?

The problem is that people like you love to advocate free market, but when it runs riot and burns America to the ground, you want to place the blame elsewhere. You can't have it both ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies