Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2011, 03:21 PM

1,801 posts, read 3,571,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
It's kind of the way humans are wired to learn how to behave in society.

The tail doesn't wag the dog.

modeling [mod´'ling] -

Learning vicariously by observation and imitation, which can be used as a form of behavior therapy.

modeling - definition of modeling in the Medical dictionary - by the Free Online Medical Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
however, when a child turns out to be different despite all the traditional modeling, and a parent insists on imposing a gender role and philosophy on him or her, the results are often devastating to the child's self-esteem and emotional development, which can lead to a lot of things ranging from suicidal depression to, in the most flattering scenario, the child running away as soon as possible and/or harbouring a deep-seated hatred and mistrust towards his parents. If you're intent on never adapting or compromise some of your dogmas to better address the needs of each child, you'll never be the sort of parent anyone would need. (I'm not talking personally, of course)

So how are these things prevented? By having a father, mother or parents who are empathic, who know how to deal with you as an individual and not a gender stereotype to-be and who are prepared to instill not only a sense of discipline, and not only some generalities about the child's place in the world, but also give the child the ability to know and love himself/herself for what he/she is, and to know that, if he/she so wishes there are equally valid alternatives in a (relatively) free society outside the most general norm, provided no harm is done. Loving parents will always be willing to love and respect their children for what they are, never mind their own views on the matter. And since these lesbian ladies have 2 older and fully functional heterosexual boys with whom they have a healthy and affectionate relationship, it seems obvious to me that a lack of empathy and respect towards non-homosexual models is not a problem here.

Old 09-30-2011, 03:24 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,850,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
I'm sure that having a mom and dad who are both girls, can help to promote gender confusion with some young children; it sure as hell would not help to prevent it.
Not according to most reputable medical organizations. But then you all think it's a giant conspiracy theory.

This guy grew up with 2 fathers, and seems perfectly sane, mature, and normal.

Zach Wahls Speaks About Family - YouTube

Old 09-30-2011, 03:24 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,098,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noela View Post
oh really? Funny, I thought a lot of you heterosexual guys in heterosexual marriages were obsessed about gender and, more specifically, about putting girls and boys in separated, prefixed gender boxes, regardless of their actual feelings?
I'm not married, but I do believe in gender segregation to some extent. I believe it should happen in the workplace, at home (with the exception of the spouse), and apartment complexes. I also don't believe in opposite-sex friendships, which isn't good for men.

Old 09-30-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
I studied psychology and I find it shocking that they're allowing this too possibly happen. When it deals with adults they make them go through therapy for about 2 years in order to make sure if they really want to go through with it. I don't think an 11 year old's brain is developed enough for him to fully comprehend the situation. If he wants he can dress like a girl even wear make-up, but I think using hormones at this stage is taking things too far.
That's for sex reassignment surgery. One who wishes to undergo that must live life as the opposite gender for 2 years, before they surgically make the transition. However, they are on hormone therapy.

This kid is not undergoing surgery.

Old 09-30-2011, 03:30 PM

2,997 posts, read 3,893,018 times
Quote:
And who says that what they do in Thailand should be the standard for the world? Their culture is not Western Culture, nor is it specifically American culture.

Their reasons for accepting the "ladyboy" phenomenon are also spiritual according to their culture.

Why should the abnormal fantasies of the mentally ill be entertained? You want to be called "Jesus Christ"? O.K. you're Jesus Christ.

The reality is starkly different from the fantasy.
The transgender community do (and so do I having spent time amongst the Thai community, their acceptance extremely refreshing.)

Who cares about the 'spiritual'. It's all B.S.

Transsexuals are not mentally ill, they are neurologically intersex as their brain structures have developed as that of the opposite sex. I have posted countless explanations and links to medical papers on this site and am frankly tired of doing so.

Old 09-30-2011, 03:31 PM

Quote:
And who says that what they do in Thailand should be the standard for the world? Their culture is not Western Culture, nor is it specifically American culture.

Their reasons for accepting the "ladyboy" phenomenon are also spiritual according to their culture.

Why should the abnormal fantasies of the mentally ill be entertained? You want to be called "Jesus Christ"? O.K. you're Jesus Christ.

The reality is starkly different from the fantasy.
American culture is not something to be proud of in many ways. European, Canadia, Australian, and New Zealanders are more accepting of LGBT than Americans or Middle Easterners.

And those countries set the standard of quality living. We should be emulating them, not Iran (and ironically, Iran allows sex reassignment for gays).

Old 09-30-2011, 03:35 PM

1,801 posts, read 3,571,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
I'm not married, but I do believe in gender segregation to some extent. I believe it should happen in the workplace, at home (with the exception of the spouse), and apartment complexes.
for the record, I went to a girls-only school that later became coed and I've always thought that most girls felt more comfortable learning in environments where no boys were present, so I would never vilify single-sex schools. This said, when teachers weren't keeping a close watch (it was a religious school) there were all sorts of girls from the traditional gender perspective: deeply feminine girls, very masculine girls and lots of middle ground. Girls who kept daydreaming about boys, girls who were obviously attracted to other girls and girls who didn't seem to care either way. Just like in any other school environment. We all came from heterosexual families and few of our parents were divorced (divorce became legal in my country when I was little -Spain had a fascist regime until the mid 70s and divorce was made legal in the 80s-, so it was uncommon yet). You just can't prevent this sort of thing: it happens whether you want it or not.

Old 09-30-2011, 03:55 PM

2,300 posts, read 2,048,657 times
Well, the OP has cited one isolated case. I've got this real desire to list links to various cases involving sad, illegal, or just plain odd gender-related stories involving persons who have been raised by married, heterosexual, men and women. My point would be that the parents more than likely are not the problem and human beings are imperfect and/or unusual, even sometimes sexually.

Old 09-30-2011, 03:58 PM

14,535 posts, read 11,389,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
American culture is not something to be proud of in many ways. European, Canadia, Australian, and New Zealanders are more accepting of LGBT than Americans or Middle Easterners.

And those countries set the standard of quality living. We should be emulating them, not Iran (and ironically, Iran allows sex reassignment for gays).
Do you have statistics to back this up?

Old 09-30-2011, 03:59 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,568,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by archineer View Post
I have posted countless explanations and links to medical papers on this site and am frankly tired of doing so.
I haven't asked you to post anything about it. I have read enough of what's out there to have my own opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
Well, the OP has cited one isolated case. I've got this real desire to list links to various cases involving sad, illegal, or just plain odd gender-related stories involving persons who have been raised by married, heterosexual, men and women. My point would be that the parents more than likely are not the problem and human beings are imperfect and/or unusual, even sometimes sexually.
There have always been variations in human behavior, we're all unique individuals. It does not matter who the cause of the GID is - the problem is from entertaining an 11 year old child's irrational, and illogical fantasy that they're the opposite gender to the DEGREE that they give the BOY CHILD HORMONE THERAPY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies