Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 01:53 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,898,296 times

Advertisements

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness"
- Mark Twain

As it helps us realize that the world is far greater than the rock under which we might otherwise crawl under for life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 02:08 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,225,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jujulu View Post
Everyone on city data thinking about moving to an expensive city claims they want "culture and diversity" so I'm trying to define what diversity is, because I'm not sure I understand. I'm presenting the following scenarios. Please comment on whether they represent diversity.

A) A black neighborhood that has a strip mall with a Chinese carryout.

B) A neighborhood in Manhattan that has people from all over the world living in it. Virtually household earns at least $150,000/year.

C) A mostly white area with trendy Asian restaurants on the commercial strip.

D) A low income minority neighborhood in DC with white hipsters moving.

E) A wealthy Cuban neighborhood in Miami.
Diversity according to C-D is consists either of these two criterias: Racial or Ethnic

A. Unless that ''black neighborhood'' also has plenty of non black people, or has black people of different ethnicities, then it is not diverse.

B. Diverse

C. When you say ''mostly'', are saying like over 90%? If it is along those lines, then I don't think the neighborhood can be consider diverse, unless the majority white neighborhood comprises of different ethnic Europeans , or a signficant amount of people who are perceived as non white.

D. Yes it can be consider diverse, if the minority population is diverse.

E. If its like 85% Cuban or something, then I don't think so.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:09 PM

31,297 posts, read 20,808,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
You forgot f, all the above.

Or "G", NONE of the above.

True diversity goes way beyond race. Unfortunately, that's all that activists and government cares about.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:25 PM

656 posts, read 650,270 times

Old 09-21-2011, 02:26 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,146,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Or "G", NONE of the above.
Well that's silly.

Quote:
True diversity goes way beyond race.
Of course it does, but I didn't make up the list.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:28 PM

23,643 posts, read 17,344,762 times
Default diversity

Racist code word whose original meaning has been lost in the socio-political world.

Diversity of thought is desirable and has been replaced with the generic term 'diversity' which is often misused and detrimental to whatever condition it is applied or legislated.

Diversity used to be applicable to specific situations. Diversity of plant life or diversity of culture to the exclusion of most cultures and confused with race and ethnicity, again to the exclusion of non targeted races and ethnicities.

Used as a code word whose meaning everyone pretends to understand despite the generic application which defeats the meaning of its intended use.

I have a diverse collection of fishing lures and hats.

I am looking for a diverse neighborhood which has a mixture of woods fileds and streams. Anyone know of a diverse neighborhood?

Old 09-21-2011, 02:30 PM

769 posts, read 1,015,863 times
People of different ethnicity's or cultures living in the same community

Old 09-21-2011, 02:30 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,898,296 times
Diversity... dictators hate that.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:36 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,310,352 times
di·ver·si·ty (d-vûr s-t, d-) n. pl. di·ver·si·ties. 1. a. The fact or quality of being diverse; difference. b. A point or respect in which things differ.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:42 PM

59,468 posts, read 27,618,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jujulu View Post
Everyone on city data thinking about moving to an expensive city claims they want "culture and diversity" so I'm trying to define what diversity is, because I'm not sure I understand. I'm presenting the following scenarios. Please comment on whether they represent diversity.

A) A black neighborhood that has a strip mall with a Chinese carryout.

B) A neighborhood in Manhattan that has people from all over the world living in it. Virtually household earns at least $150,000/year.

C) A mostly white area with trendy Asian restaurants on the commercial strip.

D) A low income minority neighborhood in DC with white hipsters moving.

E) A wealthy Cuban neighborhood in Miami.
Diversity is achieving a made goal through quotas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies